SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barry_elk

Natural finish hickory floors with Oak 3-panel shaker doors

Barry Elk
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have already installed hickory floors with natural stain and low sheen aqueous finish.

The plan was MDF trim, MDF 3 panel shaker style flat panel doors with straight/square sticking. For reasons far to long to lay out here, we are at a point where we can make a new decision about doors (and trim I guess but I don't think we can afford hardwood trim at this point.) (Well - I guess I should say we are stuck with a set of doors that are molded 3 panel with 45 degree bevel sticking... they will almost all be re-purposed into replacing upstairs doors and painted. Several visible from the first floor.)

Nick's Building Supply out of northern Indiana sells oak 3 panel shaker style doors pre-hung for about the same price as we can get MDF doors from the big box.

Not a huge fan of red oak but I'm wondering with the right stain if white painted trim, natural hickory floors and oak doors would look good. Our last house was craftsman style throughout and had ash doors and trim in a medium/light brownish stain and maple floors. We loved it. Alas - the budget for this remodel wouldn't allow that.

Below are the "themes" we have going on. First floor is a mostly open floor plan.

Kitchen - natural maple cabinets with steel grey (mostly black) counters on perimeter.

Island is black stained cabinets with Viscon White slab (54 x 133"!!!)

The current front door will eventually be replaced but makes a good case for what I am talking about.

Imagine these oak doors were 3-panel shaker and the piece of trim is white trim paint instead of primer. Wood color - TBD but obvious oak grain.

Interior paint choices - no idea yet...

Trim will be 3 1/2 or 4" vertical case, with a 6" overhanging horizontal case. Base will probably be 4" (we only have 8' ceilings and 6" was starting to seem to big.) No shoe molding, no stool. About 650 lineal feet of trim throughout downstairs.

HELP!!!! Should we just stick with MDF or consider OAK. We have 11 interior door panels in various configurations. MDF quote from big box was ~$2300 pre-hung (one door is a 1-lite glass french door.)

Is the red oak going to look out of place with the other choices that we've already made?

Comments (2)