SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

FR cabinet doors different from shaker in kitchen?

Cloud Swift
12 years ago

We are adding cabinets to our family room and I'd like your help in choosing doors that are compatible with but different from the shaker doors in our kitchen. The cabinets will be furniture (i.e. they won't be wall hung or attached other than an attachment on the top of the tall ones for earthquake safety). The cabinets will be natural cherry - the same material as our kitchen cabinets.

We are looking for doors that say "Hey, I'm not the kitchen but I belong in the same house," and that are comfortable in our MCM California house.

Having looked at a lot, here is one of the possibilities:

a mitered raised panel with very simple lines:

I keep being drawn to this one, but I wonder if it will be less striking in cherry. Also, I'm not sure if I want to go that close to our old slab doors:

Some background:

We remodeled our kitchen 5 years ago with plenty of help from this forum. The kitchen is open to the family room and breakfast room (which can be closed off with large bifold doors but rarely is). We knew at the time that we would want to redo the fireplace wall of the family room (opposite from the kitchen), but we weren't ready to do it.

Now the time for the family room remodel has come. This also will include replacing the floor in the whole area, a new fireplace and the cabinets.

Here is the kitchen for context:

The house is a custom MCM built around 1970. We have moved away from the original slab cabinets, but still want to keep a contemporary to transitional feel.

I don't have a good before picture of the fireplace wall - apparently we were very consistent in subconsciously avoiding it in pictures of the new kitchen. You can kind of see it here:

The old fireplace and hearth take up 4 x 11 feet of the room with a tiny fireplace. The new fireplace will take up 4' of the wall 2' deep with a floor level hearth in front of it and be EPA phase II. It will be to the right of the existing fireplace, 2 feet from the right wall. The rest of the wall will have a credenza cabinet with flat panel TV above it (approximately centered) and 3 tall cabinets.

The fireplace is a Lennox Villa Nova:

We are planning on a very simple surround and a simple thick cherry mantle. We may have enough of the kitchen granite to do the surround and hearth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Album with more doors that we're considering

Comments (15)

• beth
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I didn't look at the link to the other doors, but that walnut door looks like one of those gorgeous MCM Eames era Dansk wenge or rosewood pieces. Don't know what cherry would look like. The door style itself fits the era of your house very well. But you have to see how it would blend with your kitchen cabinets. Are they visible together?

• blfenton
    12 years ago

As much as I like the first one and agree that it complements the shaker but is still different from it - you and I know that it's different but would anyone else know that without being a foot away from them.
    When I look at the photo of your kitchen it almost looks like you could have the first set of doors in there already.
    I think they would have to be even more different.- maybe connecting with the fireplace instead? Just an idea.

An alternative is to go with the shaker style but in a different stain, maybe darker to give your contrast and interest.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Remodel-Shaker CabinetsMadura Gold Reeded Glass Cabinets

Q

Comments (8)
    The wood is Cherry and yes we designed the hood. We used a cabinetry company that buys the doors from Walzcraft- Shaker doors with a trim inside. He constructs all the cabinets in his shop. All the trim detail is possible because it was custom. The stain was Cherry Cinnamon. The island has the same shaker doors without the trim with Black paint and a black glaze on island. The knobs and pulls on the island as different from the main cabinetry.
    ...See More

Kitchen Cabinet Doors - pattern different on each side, why?

Q

Comments (3)
    It's called a reverse raised panel. On a standard flat panel door, the panel is typically a 1/4" plywood/mdf panel. On a reverse raised panel, the panel is solid wood. Since it's thicker the panel ends up being "raised" on the back. It's typically an upgrade from a flat panel.
    ...See More

Real Photos + Cost$$ : IKEA Cabinets + Scherr's Solid Shaker Doors

Q

Comments (49)
    Hi, I have an order in at Scherrs right now, based on your blog, love what you did! I have the same question as Shelby above from April 10, 2020. Did you get your Caesarstone through ikea, if so do you remember the name/color? IKEA is telling me they may be having a sale on countertops next month. Also, the marble behind your cook top, have you had any issues with oil splashes effecting the marble? Lastly can you give me the height of your backsplash leading up to the little shelf?Thx for your time and great info.
    ...See More

Kitchen refacing in a Tuscan house. White Shaker doors?

Q

Comments (13)
    Are you sure the house isn't Spanish Colonial because arches, dark wood and exposed beams were more in that genre and your doors aren't really what used to be called Tuscan but are more faux Spanish. I don't think your home is vintage authentic architecturally anything but your kitchen doesn't resemble any of the "faux" Tuscan kitchens I have seen that were done 15 or so years ago. Not that it matters becaue most homes aren't authentically a specific style. However I do think that the quote for refacing is low considering you have a fairly large kitchen. Before proceeding, I would research further to ensure that you aren't getting an unrealistically low bid. I do agree that white would be wrong and that you need to go with warm tones of cream or off white and not cool white.
    ...See More
  • Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pasture, the kitchen and family room are basically one long room with the cabinets on the wall opposite the kitchen. The cabinets would be visible together as one enters the kitchen from the front hall. If one stands in the family room, one wouldn't be able to see both in the same instant because when one faces the kitchen the family room cabinets would be behind your back and vice versa. And standing in the kitchen, if one was facing the family room cabinets, one would be looking over the island and not really see the kitchen cabinets except the end of the L might be in the corner of ones vision. The breakfast room is to the side of the kitchen and one could see bits of both cabinets from there at the same time.

One concern with the almost slab contemporary door is that the middle part of the tall cabinets will house the side speakers, components and media computer. For sound, ventilation and remotes, we intend to have speaker cloth inserts in place of the panel for those doors. I don't know that that would look right with that door or if the company will even make that style in a form that takes an insert.

I'm sure it would go well with our house, but I'm not sure that we will be happy with the look.

Blfenton, we like the look of wood grain without a stain - especially cherry because a stain hides the grain. Also, we will have natural cherry (kitchen cabinets and some furniture), natural maple (the floor) and some oak (breakfast table and chairs) so I hesitate to introduce another color of wood. We will be taking out the pickled or whitewashed redwood? paneling to go to painted walls. And since the cabinets will take up much of the wall, we don't really want to go darker with them.

Did you look at any of the styles in my album? The one above was the closest to Shaker. While these are in different woods, we would order them in cherry.

Cope and stick with a bit more detail on the inner edges of the frame.

Cope and stick with a wider V created by bevels between the frame and panel so it might be easier to see that it isn't shaker:

Cope and stick with an arch which might tie it to the arched door on the fireplace and a wider area making the raised panel obvious:

Mitered with a bead around the inner edge of the frame and a curved profile on the outer edge. I'm kind of drawn to this one. I like that outside profile, but not sure how it will look in a mass of doors and I'm not sure if the bead will look too fussy once there are 15 or more doors.

Mitered similar to the one in my original post, but with a wider V between the frame and panel.

And one more:

I also think that in person the shadows will make the first post's door obviously raised panel rather than shaker, but I'm not sure.

The door company has lots of profiles for the outside edge of the door, inside edge of the frame and the panel - one may be able to choose combinations that aren't in the catalog.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I like the first door. Absolutely no to the arched ones.

I'm not sure I understand the new plan for that wall. The old fireplace will be completely ripped out, yes? And the new fireplace will go about where the TV is in your photo of the room? Then the cabs will go where the old fireplace stone is now?

One suggestion. You mentioned lots of different woods in the rooms already. And blfenton has a fair point about the kitchen doors being similar to the first door option you showed. What about having the FR cabs painted to lighten it up a bit? From all the pics of your space I remember seeing, you don't have a lot of natural light, and all the wood kind of sucks light anyway. Maybe painted cabs are not in keeping with MCM? I'm not hip to the specific dos and don'ts of the style. Just a random idea!

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I'm going to second breezygirl's suggestion. How about a painted cabinet? My theory is always that if something doesn't match exactly, it should be very different. Otherwise it looks like an attempted match that failed. I'm thinking a painted slab cabinet that blends in with the walls would be great. You've got enough texture and interest in the fireplace that I think it would be best if the cabinetry were to just disappear.

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a lot of natural light in the room and also plenty of artificial light available for night. The almost all of the family room wall to the left (West) of the fireplace wall (North) is glass. It is about 8 feet of fixed pane floor to almost ceiling and 4 feet of sliding door.

Also, we will be adding a lot of painted surface. Currently, the part of the walls not covered by the rock fireplace are covered with pickled redwood. We will be taking that out and painting the walls so the East wall and the area around the TV and above the fireplace will be painted.

I have trouble seeing painted cabinets there. Also, it is the room is the main play area for our grandchildren who are here frequently. One purpose of the storage in the cabinets is to give a place for their toys. I think wood will hold up better there.

Breezy, we have a sketch of the area, but it's too big for our scanner. I'll try to make a smaller one and post it later. You have the general idea correct. The North wall is a bit over 17 feet. Left to right it will have (tall cabinet means 92" high and low cabinet means 30" high - the measurements below are widths):

42" tall cabinet - holds left speaker
    24" tall cabinet - middle holds components and media computer
    66" low cabinet - flat panel wall mounted above
    48" fireplace
    24" tall cabinet - holds right speaker

The width of the left hand cabinet will be adjusted to fill the space available after the fireplace is framed in.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Absolutely no to any arches. One suggestion is just to use the same cabinets as in the kitchen - same colour, same style.
    I think you get a more cohesive look by using the same style but changing the finishing on the cabinetry (different stain or painting). You have valid points for not wanting to change the finishing so I would just use the same ones. Just my 2c worth.

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a rough sketch of the plan for the wall with the cabinets. We haven't finalized the plan for which parts of the tall cabinets will be doors and which will be drawers - especially on the bottom portion.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I really like the Michael door #1. The deep groove will need to be vacuumed probably. The Contemporary is nice too, but that style can be kinda tricky I think, because it drives the whole design to more contemporary, while the Michael door is transitional.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I'm sorry. Ignore my post. I thought the stone fireplace wall was staying.

• kompy
    12 years ago

I like the idea of same door but contrasting darker stain. It will add interest. When I go in to a home where all the woodwork is the same color, I think it's a bit boring. Start looking at magazines...you'll see there's always more of a mix than not.

I also would love a slab door for a family room....not too busy!!!

See if the link works below....it's a MCM house or very modern house with two woods and a VERY cool modern fireplace design!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Modern Entertainment Center with fireplace[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-family-room-modern-family-room-phvw-vp~73191)

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I realized that I forgot one of the wood surfaces that's in the area. In addition to natural maple floors, natural cherry kitchen cabinets, and oak breakfast room table and chairs, there is some medium dark wood in items that were built in when we bought the house. I don't know what species it is - it's similar to the darker shade in the photo that kompy posted. A bookcase built in to most of one wall of the breakfast room, the bi-fold doors that can close off the breakfast room and the two interior doors (sliders) are in that wood.

I thought that maybe the overall plan for the area would help people visualize the space.

Kompy, by code we need an EPA II fireplace to have wood burning which is what we want. I haven't found any of them that are super-modern in design. Our tastes are more transitional anyway so I think the Villa Vista will work for us.

My DH and I feel that we want a different door from the kitchen - that that will differentiate more and also that we have enough of the shaker with all the doors on the kitchen cabinets.

I'm leaning toward the Michael or the Vail (which is similar but has a slightly wider V). I have trouble picturing the Contemporary door above looking good on the doors that need the speaker cloth. But I'm also thinking about the Sheffield with a squared up outside profile like the Michael. That would be the same as the Michael with one bead around the inside edge of the frame.

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've done a mock up of what the fireplace wall would look like with a couple of door styles. Unfortunately, I've only got each door in the wood that they have in the catalog picture so the doors are the wrong color. Still, it gives an idea of what they would look like so try to ignore that they are the wrong color. We haven't finalized the cabinet bottoms - drawers or doors and if drawers what heights. I assume that we would do slab drawer fronts so that's what's in the picture.

Here is the Michael door which most people liked:

And here is the Sheffield door which is similar to the Michael but has one bead on the inner edge of the door frame.

I kind of like the little detail of the bead especially around the speaker cloth insets. But I like the simplicity of the Michael doors too.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

There's a lot going on on that wall and a few heights too. I would stick with the simpler of the two styles, the Michael.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

I like the look of the more complex beaded doors but when I put a picture of your kitchen up next to it I think the simpler go better with the shaker. But to me neither is a mistake.