SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parker25mv

Teen sentenced to 8 years in accident, but I have misgivings

parker25mv
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Something's been bothering me.
In April last year I witnessed a horrible accident.

A couple, an older man and an older woman were walking together. I was walking just a few feet behind them. I remember the man was talking about politics, how bad things are in other countries with corrupt regimes, or something like that, and how they kill people and no one is ever held responsible. I was kind of interested in his topic of conversation, but was walking at a faster pace and went right past them, across a crosswalk. About 20 seconds later I heard a very loud screech and then someone shouting. I turned back and there was a huge truck that had stopped right in the middle of the crosswalk, and right in front of it were the man and the woman. The man was laying strewn over the woman and both were motionless on the street. Although the man's body had slight bodily movements that appeared like he may have been semi-conscious. A teenager wearing a sleeveless shirt ran out of the truck from the passenger door and went to the two lying on the street. "Are you okay?! Are you okay?!" There was no reply. "No!!! No!!!" The teenager had this desperate panicked look on his face. I'm sure he felt really bad about hitting the couple, but he knew what was coming next. I felt really bad for him. It was a terrible accident, and I probably felt even sorrier for what would likely happen to him than the old couple that had been hit.

It wasn't long before the police showed up.

I just saw in the paper that this teenager has been sentenced to 8 years. The old woman died in the accident, the man was severely injured but recovered in the hospital. It was a tragedy for all involved.
But I am having difficulty dealing with what the teen was sentenced too. It seems unfair and unnecessary.
He was with two of his buddies and they were smoking weed in that truck (it had recently been legalized in the state and there are several dispensaries in the city). The paper said he had been charged with felony manslaughter with a DUI enhancement. He didn't seem "under the influence" though when I saw him.

The traffic intersection on the street is very tricky. It's a one-way street with two lanes and there's a green arrow that indicated it's okay to turn left. Except the crosswalk sign says it's okay to walk across the crosswalk even when there's a green arrow. There's a lot of traffic that goes through that street and a lot of cars parked on both sides, and if you're not paying close attention it would be easy to run someone over. That's what I suspect happened. They were listening to loud music in the truck and the driver got distracted. The truck he was driving in was huge and very high off the ground with high suspension. It would be kind of hard to see pedestrians right below you. He probably saw the green arrow telling him it was okay to turn, made a quick glance at the crosswalk, didn't see anyone right in the way, and then the older couple suddenly entered the street right as he was driving and turning. The couple were engaged in their conversation and probably not paying attention to the fact that are huge truck was turning in their direction. The truck was going kind of fast though.

In fact only two days after this accident, out of pure coincidence, I almost ran over someone walking in that intersection in the same exact place. You have to constantly be alert and looking in all directions because cars could potentially be coming at you in that intersection, and the light told me it was okay to turn. A pedestrian could enter that intersection before you even know it.

But the judge blamed him for getting in the car "under the influence" of weed. Even though I doubt that was actually the cause for the accident. He had been smoking but I don't think he had smoked a lot of it. But they had to hold him responsible for the woman that died and the man who was injured.

The teen is not without blame. He shouldn't have been driving that monster truck through the downtown area with so many cars and people and things to watch out for. He should have been going slower and more cautiously down that particular street. But I see a lot of people driving faster than they should on that street, and he wasn't that old so he probably didn't really know better. Playing loud music probably wasn't the best to be doing either there, so many things that can distract you. He was actually from out of town too (from a rural area), so might not have been familiar with driving in this city area, and the one-way streets with all the intersections in the downtown can be kind of tricky.

But although it was a very tragic accident, I don't really see him as being clearly "at fault" either. That pedestrian crossing is in a dangerous place, not the best traffic light design, and the pedestrians weren't paying attention either. That old lady probably didn't have a huge number of years longer to live anyway, and 8 years will pretty much ruin the best part of this teen's life.

Comments (75)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio