SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boxerdog19

Plants that absorb water n the winter n the northern climate

boxerdog19
7 years ago

Good morning, like most people on forums I might be looking for a unicorn. I live in SW Michigan zone 6a. I had water in one corner of my basement. Tore up the concrete and ran pipe away from my house downhill into a newly created drain field. That solved the water in my basement. After 15 years the grassy area above the drain field is always wet. I've thought about digging this area up and running pipes further downhill to the lake but don't know if I want to tear up my yard again. So I'm thinking of landscaping this area with some sort of low growing evergreen shrub. Something that absorbs a lot of water and it would be nice if it would soak up water in the winter. To the best of my knowledge some evergreens still have some root growth in the winter if not foliage growth. I'll take anything I can get. I already have two kinds of junipers, grey owl and blue chip. I was thinking of planting the taller of the two in this area which I think is the blue chip. My soil is clay and the area will be mostly sunny. One last thing is I do have a green thumb. Can you recommend another moisture loving plant that gets no taller than 5'? Thanks!!

Comments (14)