SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeonassky

Have you broken any bones?

yeonassky
7 years ago

Got this idea from the carpal tunnel discussion. :)

I've broken my thumb when a girl stomped on my hand to stop me from getting the ball in a baseball game. She was not a nice person.

Also I broke my arm when I fell off my bike. I skidded in the dirt right by the hospital. I was told it wasn't broken then phoned later and told it was. No wonder it hurt to move it!

Comments (50)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I've broken both ankles...once when I was jogging in the early morning in the fall...a car came by so I pulled to the side of the road where leaves covered over a pot hole. Down I went and it was a 1/2 mile walk home on a broken ankle.

About 10 years later, I broke the other ankle. I was out hiking in the woods alone when leaves covered over a hole...in my foot went. That was a 2 mile walk out of the woods on a broken ankle.

yeonassky thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    7 years ago

Broke my right wrist in high school gym class. Had to wear a cast for many weeks and couldn't write to do my homework, so my Dad helped me and that was a very special bonding time for us. Many years later I broke a couple of ribs when I fell on a slippery pavement in the Netherlands where my husband was attending meetings. Breathtaking pain, but we were leaving for the States the next day so I dealt with it when we got home. Not much to do about broken ribs except to let them heal. Had to sleep propped upright in a chair slathered with pillows and my legs on an ottoman with a good man to wait on me :o)

yeonassky thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Related Discussions

Bones on any kind for soil or just chicken?

Q

Comments (17)
    The wikipedia article on decomposition is extremely informative to this discussion: "The strength and durability of bone stems from the unique protein-mineral bond present in skeletal formation. Consequently, changes to skeletal remains, known as bone diagenesis, occur at a substantially slower rate than stages of soft-tissue breakdown. As the protein-mineral bond weakens after death, however, the organic protein begins to leach away, leaving behind only the mineral composition. Unlike soft-tissue decomposition, which is influenced mainly by temperature and oxygen levels, the process of bone breakdown is more highly dependent on soil type and pH, along with presence of groundwater. However, temperature can be a contributing factor, as higher temperature leads the protein in bones to break down more rapidly. If buried, remains decay faster in acidic-based soils rather than alkaline. Bones left in areas of high moisture content also decay at a faster rate. The water leaches out skeletal minerals, which corrodes the bone, and leads to bone disintegration.[3]"
    ...See More

Have you ever broken a NYD tradition?

Q

Comments (22)
    Well -- I come from a very old Scots family on both sides (although I am certainly NOT brave enough to call my 91-year-old mum "old" LOL!) Christmas is considered far more of a quiet family holiday in Scotland -- BUT Hogmany is a tried-and-true party night!!! So Hogmany (New Years Eve) does come along with certain traditions -- namely: a)Put away the Christmas decor -- which MUST be down by Jan 6th anyway (Twelfth Night) or bad luck ensues for the house ... b)Clean, clear out clutter and donate. c)A dark haired man (and a stranger to the household) MUST be the first to cross the front threshold and bring coal, bread, money and scotch. And my family has gone through GREAT lengths to ensure this tradition goes on down through the years! LOL! Through the years -- many young men would round up a few dark-haired lads and knock on doors in the villages -- knowing that there would be a fine welcome for them all! LOL! Those are called "First Footing Parties" d)After he crosses the threshold -- he is always offered a wee dram of "the Best" (scotch) in the house. e)The doors are opened at the front and the back of the house to "move the luck" ... and I must say that so far a "fair-and-measured-share" of luck has held quite fast ....
    ...See More

OT Broken Bones & Prayers

Q

Comments (15)
    UPDATE.....Surgery was changed to in the morning the Doctor had surgery at the other hospital today. Brian is hanging in there been threw lots of pain meds this past week. I have kept the baby alot since my daughter works evening hours at the end of the week. We have to be there at 7am in the morning. Keep us in your prayers. I will let ya know more tmorrow afternoon. Nanci Two months, two weeks, one day, 6 hours, 21 minutes and 38 seconds. 3050 cigarettes not smoked, saving $434.71. Life saved: 1 week, 3 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes.
    ...See More

Simple method to avoid possible broken bone

Q

Comments (1)
    Also check your type of Calicum you take. Some is better that others, and is asorbed into the system better.
    ...See More
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

Luckily, no, I've never broken a bone. I hope to continue this streak forever.

yeonassky thanked hhireno
  • Bluebell66
    7 years ago

Yes. One clavicle when I was 5 in accident on a backyard slide while doing something dumb. And an ankle a few years ago - slipped and fell on the ice resulting in dislocation and a triple break. The ankle break was life changing. I will never get my full range of motion back which means I will always have a withered calf and diminished leg strength. But I can walk, so I count my blessings!

yeonassky thanked Bluebell66
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Yes. And I seem to be picking on the same part of my anatomy when I do! About 10 years ago, I was just doing the mundane task of putting groceries away and was heading to the back pantry when I twisted my foot. To this day I don't remember the details clearly - all I know is it hurt like a mother...........!! Thinking I had just twisted my ankle, I iced it and kept it elevated but by the following morning, my foot looked like a stuffed, misshapen sausage, completely discolored and there was no way I could put any weight on it. Turns out I had a lisfranc fracture and had broken 7 bones across the arch of my foot! I was out of commission for a week and on crutches for a month more.

Then a few years ago, I broke the ankle on the same foot! And when I say broke, I mean I blew out the ankle totally, requiring surgery to insert plates and pins and all manner of hardware on both sides of the ankle joint. That was a full 8 weeks of recovery, followed by another few months of rehab and PT.

Reading Annie's post made my jaw drop as I couldn't imagine walking anywhere on either of these injuries, let alone 2 miles!! When the EMS team came for my broken ankle, they physically lifted me off my front porch to the ambulance in a firemans' chair carry move, as they couldn't maneuver a stretcher up the steps and in the close quarters. Thank God for cell phones, as I lived alone in a semi-remote area with no one else nearby!!

Annie, you are a better woman than I!! And maybe a lot fitter :-))

yeonassky thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Let me join the Ankle Club. 10 years ago I was going down a flight of stone steps outside in the dark. Thought I was on the bottom step - wasn't. Rolled it and broke it.

Five years ago, at the State Fair. Same ankle, rolled it. Severe sprain.

Nine weeks ago, I fell off of a vanity stool I was climbing up on. Same ankle. Broke both bones that protrude from the sides of the ankle. Inside of my ankle hit the hardwood floor while the top side was hit by steel leg of vanity stool. Aauugghh!!! I had a cast and wheelchair for 6 weeks, brace and granny crutch for 3 weeks so far, and I go back to the doctor next week.

I may have posted this picture before: me headed to Christmas Eve services a couple of months ago.

yeonassky thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

All my toes on one foot and then my kneecap in a car accident and last year my wrist.

yeonassky thanked Yayagal
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

A couple of toes and a couple of ribs have been cracked at various times. Lots of sprains and strains (mostly from volleyball or basketball) and two ACLs torn (skiing) that had to be fixed.

yeonassky thanked OutsidePlaying
  • msmeow
    7 years ago

I fell out of a tree and fractured my wrist when I was 7 years old. :)

yeonassky thanked msmeow
  • Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Thankfully only toes, which don't count. Though it hurt a lot when I had to walk up and down four flights of stairs to get to my classes--I was in junior high. I can't imagine walking on a broken ankle! Fingers crossed to continue my streak.

yeonassky thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I will agree that a seriously broken ankle can be a life altering event. It is about twice the size of my other ankle and shoes are difficult to fit (I actually take a different size on that foot). Who knew that broken bones produce scar tissue? There was some nerve damage and it often tingles or feels 'funny' - the massage when I get a pedicure is no longer a pleasant experience. And it has altered my sense of balance. I'd suspect with all the titanium and stainless steel in there it is far stronger than my uninjured ankle but it sure doesn't feel like it!! I don't feel at all stable going down stairs or walking down a slope (up is fine). Handrails are my friend :-) And I just can't do long distances anymore.

yeonassky thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • User
    7 years ago

I have always been very athletic and was so proud of the fact I never broke a bone (having my nose done doesn't count), and then 5 years ago at 63, I brought my new kitten home and while playing with her, tripped over her scratching post and broke my baby toe. My poor kitten was then introduced to every imaginable expletive :-).

Annie, I can't imagine having two broken ankles at one time.

yeonassky thanked User
  • just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

I had two broken bones under the age of six due to abuse. As an adult I was stupid and had the lead of my Rottweiler wrapped around my fingers while riding my bike. He stopped, I kept going. Snap went the top of my ring finger. I also broke my toe by trying to glide over the vacuum like a gazelle. I was the one who left it out in the hall.

yeonassky thanked just_terrilynn
  • LynnNM
    7 years ago

Many! My left little finger in high school gym class. I was accidentally bumped while waiting to head out to the gym and my little finger went into the crack of the gym door and it closed on it. I've broken my nose five times and finally had to have reconstructive surgery on it to get it back to normal again. None of those times were my fault, but when people near me ran into me or my kids jumped in my arms and slammed their heads into my nose. Both did that, and both times they broke my nose. and I don't have a big nose either! Once I was catching at a pickup baseball game with friends and the gal up to bat was so excited when she finally hit a ball, that she accidentally threw the bat as she started to run to first base and, yep, it hit me right across the face and broke my nose. I've broken my toes several times running into things. Wrought iron is especially dangerous around me! I broke my foot one time hiking and slid sideways out of my shoe. I broke my kneecap once, well actually chipped it, when my first rescue Doberman got excited and took off with me holding his leash and pulled me down onto the pavement. My last fracture was the saddest, though. I'd ruptured the ligament in my right hand and had to have surgery on it, temporary pins put in my hand, and a cast on for six weeks. I had just gotten the cast off and the pins out, and was going down the steps into the garage, when my little dog tripped me and I fell and broke my left hand and had to have that casted for another six weeks!

yeonassky thanked LynnNM
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

I was out hiking in the woods alone when leaves covered over a hole...in my foot went.

That's exactly what happened to me while walking in France in 2015. It had been pouring rain for a couple of weeks and was pouring then, too. We were walking in the woods on thick fallen leaves and my left foot and walking pole went into a hole and over I went. Unfortunately I fell on my poles, so in addition to my foot (not the ankle, luckily) I cracked a rib and bruised my right ulna.

Both of those hurt so much I hardly noticed my foot, just thought I was developing a hot spot from having wet feet all the time . The pharmacienne was able to fix up the arm and rib so they didn't bother me much anymore and I walked another hundred miles or so before I had to give up and come home. It was awful going from walking 7 or 8 hours a day to being on crutches.

ETA I had broken that foot once before that I knew of, and that supposedly first time when the doctor saw the x-rays he said I'd broken it a few times before, probably when horses stepped on me when I was barefoot as a child (you don't want to wear boots when you take the horses swimming).

yeonassky thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

Broke my foot while helping DH demolish a dilapidated shed in the backyard of the house we just purchased. Part of the roof fell on my foot. Massive amount of pain so we went to the emergency room and they said I just had a really bad bruise. About 12 years later, I was having some bad foot pain so went for an x-ray and was told that I had arthritis on the top of my foot due to a past fracture. The line was easy to see, so not sure why it wasn't visible when it first happened.

yeonassky thanked MagdalenaLee
  • Fori
    7 years ago

No, although I've been toying with the idea of going in for an x-ray...stupid toe.

yeonassky thanked Fori
  • Funkyart
    7 years ago

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have broken a lot of bones-- most when I was young. I'd broken 13 bones by the time I was 13 yo. I don't remember how many breaks on my wrists-- 5 or 6? My forearm twice, the long bone on the side of my foot. None were terribly bad breaks-- no compound fractures. I was tested when I was 12 to see if I had a bone density issue but I did not. Almost all of the breaks were from playing sports or playing in the backyard. The long bone of my foot was broken when a friend missed the can when playing kick the can. I actually walked on that broken bone for a week before realizing it was more than a bruise.

As an adult, I've only broken fingers. Once when I had the dogs' leashes wrapped around my fingers and another time when I stepped into the doggie pool to lure one of my friends dogs into it.. the dogs had been drinking from the pool and the bottom was slick. I fell and caught myself with a hand-- broke all four fingers on the hand.

I have been told that people tend to either strain/sprain or break. I break. I haven't had any lasting complications or issues from the breaks-- other than a tendency for tendonitis in my wrist.

I also have joint issues-- as does my father. I have had bursitis off and on in my hips and shoulders since I was very young. I also had a freak accident where a sewing needle got lodged (and "lost") under my patella. In those days, I saw the orthopedic dr more than I saw my pediatrician!

yeonassky thanked Funkyart
  • User
    7 years ago

No, thankfully.

yeonassky thanked User
  • yeonassky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow that's a lot of broken bones! And I'm congratulating, and knocking on wood for, those of you who haven't.

So sorry to every one of you who has suffered due to your breaks. And so very sorry that abuse played any part in your life justerrilyn! I want to give (((you and everyone))) a hug, but a cyber one will have to do.

It makes me want to invent walking sticks that are padded not pointy, and collapse when fallen on and convert into crutches. :). And a hidden hole and tripping over dog detector too. :).

I'm so paranoid about slipping and falling that I use ice shoes all winter. DD did that down some icy stairs as she skipped ahead despite my calling to her to stop and that it was slippery. She broke her arm! She was always stubborn. :)

Oh and I think we should all practice jumping over our vacuums too. I've tripped over mine many times...

• cawaps
    7 years ago

I broke my ankle (fibula) while skiing. I walked around on it for a couple months thinking it was a sprain. I suspect people's different experiences with broken ankles depend on whether they broke the tibia or the fibula. No walking on a broken tibia, I think.

I'm pretty sure I broke my 2nd littlest toe as well when I stubbed it, although I didn't bother to go to the doctor or get an X-ray. I have stubby little toes and they wouldn't have splinted it or anything, even if it was broken. It took a couple months to heal up.

yeonassky thanked cawaps
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

When I was 20 (in college) I fractured the elbow end of my radius. A skateboard was involved. In 1965 they looked like this:

Although it hurt like hell, I didn't think anything was broken. The next morning I went through hours of standing in line to pre-register for classes at San Jose State. An ordeal. Almost 24 hours later I finally saw a doc. No pain meds, drove stick shift. My roommate had to wash and set my hair for me.

yeonassky thanked Bunny
  • 4kids4us
    7 years ago

I broke my wrist playing a game in the snow back when I was in 8th grade. We were off school due to a snowstorm so a bunch of kids met at one girl's house to play this game in the snow. I guess I had the ball and got tackled by a guy and broke my wrist when I tried to break my fall. I'll never forget the day b/c it was the day Air Florida crashed into the Potomac. My mother was a nurse in a hospital and couldn't leave work to take me to the doctor. Unfortunately, my father worked on the VA side of the Potomac, right in Crystal City by the river. His commute took him over the bridge where it happened but due to the plane crash, the bad weather and the ensuing re-routed traffic, it took him several hours to get home and take me to the doctor. I had to walk two miles home from the girl's house in the snowstorm and sit and wait with my broken wrist for him to get home. Of course, due to the loss of life that day, I counted my blessings!

i also broke my finger in middle school (pinky) while running down the hall and accidentally slamming it on our piano. My mother didn't believe me until it was so swollen the next day she had to take me in. My pinky is now very crooked.

ive been mostly fine ever since then except for a couple of years ago when I rolled my ankle on a piece of bark mulch while running. Tho it hurt initially, I continued to run two more miles. It wasn't until I stopped and was walking to my car that I realized an awful pain and could not walk at all. Drove myself right to a podiatrist (as luck would have it, we were leaving for a weekend vacation that afternoon). I had torn some ligaments in my foot and ended up in a boot for several weeks. Thankfully, I hadn't broken it!

yeonassky thanked 4kids4us
  • neetsiepie
    7 years ago

At age 6j I got a hairline skull fracture and major concussion while playing a game on the school yard. A much larger boy ran in to tiny me, knocking me on to the pavement. I was in the hospital for 3 days.

At 16 I fell off my skateboard, went flying over the top actually, and hit my head on the concrete-another hairline fracture and major concussion. No hospitalization at that time. (My parents were not big on taking us to the doctor unless there was blood).

At 17 I wiped out on my skateboard (again) and ruined my left knee, chipping the bone along the way.

Early 30's I had my nose broken in a game of softball when the 2nd baseman threw a line drive at my face.

Cracked ribs from dumping a motorcycle in a field. when I was in my 30's.

Not a bone fracture, but I suffered another major concussion when I was 40 and in a major car accident.

Three years ago I slipped on our deck and fractured 3 vertebrae in my spine, cracked two ribs and my tailbone. Also, again, hit my head and suffered a mild concussion. That fall was the worst-I thought I was going to die, honestly. My back is not back to normal and it hurts when I sweep, do laundry, load the dishwasher or mop the floors. I can't do any one activity for very long before it aches.

Through my misspent youth (as I call it) I had a lot of fun, but I did do a lot of damage to my body. I'm a road map of scars, and theres a lot of pain due to arthritis, but I certainly have stories to tell about them.

yeonassky thanked neetsiepie
  • deegw
    7 years ago

Broke my arm as a child and a toe about ten years ago. I am extremely clumsy and very lucky that I've only had two broken bones. When I saw this commercial recently it hit very close to home (only the first twenty seconds or so are relevant).

yeonassky thanked deegw
  • cattyles
    7 years ago

I have broken the middle toe of my right foot twice. In 1992 on Pensacola Beach I was jogging back to the hotel on the beach because my then husband was waving and yelling to me like a lunatic from the balcony. Hit a buried rock and heard it break. We had to evacuate because Hurricane Andrew was coming. My ex was terrified of bridges and hurricanes. It was like his worse nightmare was coming true to drive back across the bridge to the mainland with a hurricane coming. I got no sympathy at all!

Then in 2003 I stumped it again on a buried rock on the beach in Maui. I didn't realize it was broken that time until the next day. We had been drinking a little. ;-)

d_gw, that commercial is exactly me, too! I always have scrapes and bruises all over me.

yeonassky thanked cattyles
  • Rudebekia
    7 years ago

Pretty much the same story with me Magdalena. I dropped a box of heavy tile on my right foot two years ago. Nothing showed up on an x-ray, so I limped for another few months then asked for an MRI. They found a second metatarsal fracture then that was mostly healed. But now I have newly diagnosed arthritis on that foot.

I also broke my thumb when I was about 13, falling off my bike (and guess what: some arthritis there now too). And I broke a shoulder bone when my mother dropped me (accidentally!) when I was an infant. I have no memory of that, nor are there pictures so I sometimes wonder whether that story is even true...but it is what I was told.

yeonassky thanked Rudebekia
  • Oakley
    7 years ago

I'm proud to say I have broken a bone! My big toe. lol. It's kind of a funny story and it made my best friend angry at me for being so aggressive.

Us soccer mom's decided to have a game of our own. It was a big deal for our little town, lots of people came to watch.

I was standing at the other team's goal, the ball came to me and I kicked the you know what out of it. I kid you not, it went straight to the other goal, stopping short of about ten feet. Massive kick. Right after the kick my toe hurt like heck and I couldn't figure out why. Until my BF said, "Why did you kick me?" Well, I accidentally kicked her foot at the same time I kicked the ball. It bruised her foot pretty bad. But dang, it was a great kick! :)

My toe was hurting afterwards but I tolerated it, until we got home and I took my tennis shoe's off. Then it started throbbing and swelling big time. The pain was excruciating.

We aren't drinkers but we did have some Jack Daniels in the house. DH practically forced me to drink it to numb the pain. It did help.

The next day I went to the doctor and x-rays showed I broke both joints in the big toe. He taped the toes, I didn't get a cast which I really wanted to have so I could show off my "war wound."

The toe healed but it aches something awful when the weather changes.

yeonassky thanked Oakley
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

Several. First time, back in the day when road touring bikes had toe clips, I crashed my bike and broke my foot (It really was my DH's fault -- he said, "look at that flower!" So I looked at the flower and didn't see that he decided to STOP to look at the flower...)

Another -- was walking up the steps, in the dark, and for some reason (after walking up those steps for 13 years) thought there was another step, and went crashing into the wall. Broke my little finger.

The really odd one. I had just turned off the shower and was toweling off when the water pic flew out of its holder and landed squarely on my little toe. Broken. That is not the oddest part of this tale, though. Just about the time the pain was nearly gone and I was starting to walk normally again, it happened again -- and broke the 4th toe, same foot. That one took longer to heal, and by the time it did, I developed plantar fasciitis from standing and walking all day at work with the painful fractures, and that has never cleared up 100%. That water pic had never fallen before, hasn't since, and I've been in this house 25 years. I have my own theory as to who/what threw it at me...

Lastly, we had an sleet storm followed by snow 3 years ago. I didn't realize there was ice under the snow; while sweeping the snow off my porch, took a step forward and next thing I knew I had landed at the bottom of the steps, on the fieldstones that border the landscaping. Wow that hurt! It was a struggle to get up, and once back in the house had to lay on the floor for a while because I was actually dizzy and nauseated. I went to the urgent care but they said, "no fracture" -- so I went to work the next day. It wasn't until actually 3 days later that I got up and couldn't take but shallow breaths because of the pain. You guessed it -- fractured ribs AND vertebral process.

yeonassky thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • missymoo12
    7 years ago

Multiple toes. Multiple severe sprains right ankle. Finally had prolotherapy injections two years ago; very helpful- highly recommend.

Ulna at my right elbow - came off my new horse, riding alone, one morning a couple days before Thanksgiving. I rode home, untacked and groomed him. Went to work and realized the pain was becoming a bit unbearable, took family out to dinner. Finally when we were getting ready for bed my DH noticed the hideous bruised tricep. I got in to see the Dr the next am. No cast as the ortho wanted me to start PT in 3 weeks so I could be sure of having complete ROM in that arm. Common to lose it in that fx. I still had to cook Thanksgiving dinner for 14!!!

Oh yeah - tailbone coming off my other horse.

Oh yeah - a bone in my left wrist - it or a piece of it, apparently is floating around- my rheumatologist insisted on surgery but that was 9 years ago - she found it on xray but has only started bothering me this past year.

Oh yeah - my right thumb.

yeonassky thanked missymoo12
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Last year, broken ankle. Slipped on a wet mat at work so had workman's comp. A plate, 3 huge pins. Can't stand on it any length of time, but most of the range of motion is back. I do have numbness and unpleasant tingling in the region- an entrapped nerve.

About 20 years ago, a leg bone near my knee was fractured. I was helping some one move a dryer.

I probably broke my big toe in high school but I never went to see anyone about it because I did not want to miss the school trip to Expo 67 in Canada. So I pretended I wasn't in pain and mostly walked normally around my parents - or tried to avoid needing to walk around them. Until I could go on the trip. Yes, the trip was painful but I was glad I went. Things healed up but about 30 years later that toe started acting up and sticking out enough to one side that most shoes - anything feminine- are seriously uncomfortable.

yeonassky thanked artemis_ma
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

yeonnasky, the icy stairs thing reminded me of a death in the last snow storm in our area...a door man in the city was clearing snow and ice off the steps, that went down below street level, slipped and crashed through a plate-glass door at the bottom of the steps. He was cut so severely that he died. So sad.

yeonassky thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Jak Perth
    7 years ago

Oh yes, when I was twenty six I fell off a nearly stopped motorcycle in soft sand. I put out my right arm to catch myself and shattered my elbow. I spent 43 days in the hospital and had five surgeries to repair it, including the insertion of an artificial radial head. It was hoped that I would get 50 percent of use but I actually regained about 95 percent. This was considered an amazing medical feat in 1973.

yeonassky thanked Jak Perth
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

Let me just start off by going ahead and knocking on wood right now...hahaha...NO I have never broken any bones. I'm not particularly adventurous but I did pretty much lived on a bicycle as a kid, I owned/rode horses and even jumped them, I snow skied, I river rafted/tubed, I've stepped wrong on stairs and went falling to the ground, I've been pulled over by my dog a couple times. I've never been in a car wreck though.

yeonassky thanked arkansas girl
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

Toes -- two confirmed by x-rays, but maybe a couple of others. One that I thought had been broken but the dr said no after an x-ray came up again some 2--25 years later when I got the middle toe on that foot x-rayed (didn't realize it had been broken when the dog pushed off against it to bolt out the door, taped it for a while, but not long enough -- it is now mis-shapen). The doctor came in and started looking at my big toe, the toe next to it and the area behind it. He thought the notes must be wrong because there was evidence of a fracture at or below the base of that toe. Apparently its a difficult one that often requires surgery and can even be a problem after surgery. That was the one I was told was not broken long ago. Apparently I was very fortunate that it healed properly and without any long term issues. The middle toe will just be a goofy one unless it gets worse and crosses the other toe -- then it might justify surgery. But I'll never be a foot model. Oh well, size 12 feet probably did that for me anyway.

I may have cracked a tailbone but didn't go in to have it checked. They can't cast it or anything, but I had that same kind of seeing stars feeling and had trouble sitting on any hard seats or for a long time -- it got better but was still a problem for a year or so.

yeonassky thanked lascatx
  • yeonassky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You're right that's so sad Annie. :(. We really need anti slip footwear! They tested boots and none of the supposed winter ones fared well in icy winter weather so I'm sticking with my ice shoes until further notice!

Wow Jak and that was in the sand! So glad you got so much flexibility back. And that you had the right surgeons back then.

There's a Ted talk video where the woman talks about having to break capillaries to straighten her arm. I'm glad you didn't have to do that to keep your full range of motion missymoo12! Apparently it was so painful to achieve ROM that most gave up! She said she just kept saying and singing to herself that she wanted to be 100% so she would live with the pain.

Maybe everyone should have some kind of steel toed boots and shoes or other hard material to protect our toes and ankles. Or even full body armor and a helmet. ;)

I read that if a bone doesn't set right that's when arthritis might set in. I also read that a highly nutritious diet can reverse arthritis. But have no idea if that actually works. I'm wishing so as DH has arthritis in his hips. One thing I will insist he does is add vitamin D to his diet. They say that and vitamin C bring some relief and sometimes reverses things.

• Faron79
    7 years ago

I can't believe I haven't broken anything!!! Growing up farming, snowmobiling, bike riding, ND Winters, HS Football, etc.......

MY preference is to TEAR things......;-)

(now if I break a bone tomorrow....)

;-)

Faron

yeonassky thanked Faron79
  • yeonassky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm knocking on wood for you Faron. :)

• Faron79
    7 years ago

LOL! Ya....I'm hitting my head too!

• rubyclaire
    7 years ago

I have not broken any bones and am feeling very, very fortunate after hearing some of your stories!!

yeonassky thanked rubyclaire
  • nhbaskets
    7 years ago

In 2007 DH was having spells where he would pass out. One night I was awoken by a bang. Not finding him in bed, I ran down stairs. Since I'm vertically challenged, my pj bottoms are always too long, which made me slip and miss the bottom few stairs. Braced my fall with my hand and managed to break my elbow. Still have two screws in it. DH was sitting at the kitchen counter reading the paper. To his credit, he helped me dry my hair every morning after that until I could do it myself.

yeonassky thanked nhbaskets
  • miniscule
    7 years ago

Oh, so many injuries have been recounted here, and then there are those who are blessed with none! The first significant injuries I recall were horseback riding accidents as a child - a concussion despite wearing a helmet, a cracked vertebrae, and a crushed right foot. While pregnant with DD2, I suffered cracked ribs in a car accident.

I broke my left elbow falling down steps after rushing from work to home to look after kids, while en route to an evening master's class. I was in a bit of shock and went into the small class anyway not realizing how bedraggled I was (ripped stockings, bruised knees, broken glasses, etc.). The professor looked at me and said perhaps I should leave. I stuck it out, but by the end knew I couldn't drive and called my husband to pick me up. That pain took a good year to settle down.

Last year I broke my left foot. Again too much rushing and a trip down a last step. We had just returned from a month in Spain and were dashing through jet lag to help DD2 who had given birth prematurely with lots of complications while we were away. Throw in the occasional broken toe and foot stress fractures. We get a lot of snow and ice here but that hasn't so far caused me problems, dare I say it. On really bad days I wear ice grips if I have to go out. One day this winter, DH, DD1 and DD3 each had falls on the ice. DD3 broke her wrist as a result. The others were a little sore but okay.

yeonassky thanked miniscule
  • jakabedy
    7 years ago

Like miniscule -- the horses did it. I broke my left ankle at age 15 when I was thrown by a horse, my foot caught in the stirrup, and I was dragged a distance. I'm pretty sure that ankle was never set right. I never got the same ROM and it still bothers me sometimes 35+ years later.

Around 2001 I was walking down the front steps of my house and realized my small cat was on one of the steps. I tried to recalibrate to avoid the cat and instead ended up tumbling down five steps and smashed my knees on the concrete walk at the bottom. I was in between jobs/insurance at the time so never got treated. My knees remain a mess.

yeonassky thanked jakabedy
  • Faron79
    7 years ago

Uffda!

I'm just shaking my head here, reading all these "war stories"! You Ladies need to be more careful!!!!! ;-)

Although.........I AM starting to feel a little less clumsy........relatively speaking....;-)

Faron

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Another member of the Broken Ankle Club. I did it carrying a chair from the house to the garage. I stepped on an uneven patio stone and rolled it. I literally saw stars and was glad I had a chair to sit in. I was sure it was a bad sprain, which I had done before by falling off the mat at the front door, a total of a half inch. This time I walked around for two weeks on the "sprained" ankle. My friend finally looked at me and said "do you have insurance. Well, then go to the doctor". I did and it was broken.

Some of you have amazing injury stories.

yeonassky thanked dedtired
  • rockybird
    7 years ago

I broke my fibula at 16 when I fell down the stairs. I called my father but he was too busy with clients. I lived alone at 16. I didnt want to be a hypochondriac so I didnt tell my father and ran track on it. Every day the coach would tape it up and I'd go on long runs. It hurt like heck and would not heal. Finally I got food poisoning and the family doc. Refered me to an orthopedic surgeon, who missed it on xray. I asked to see the films where I showed him the break. He was mortified that he had missed it.

I broke my rib in a mountain Bike accident. I still have a lump where the fracture was.

I broke my orbital bone in another mtn bike accident. I didnt realize I had broken it at the time, but it showed up later on imaging after another bike accident (concussion). My eye was black and blue for weeks.

I also dislocated my patella. That really hurt. The pain was so bad I had to fight not to pass out.

I also got a tibial periosteal hematoma from a mtn. Bike accident.

yeonassky thanked rockybird
  • LynnNM
    7 years ago

In the medical field, it is said that the two most painful fractures are elbows and patellas (kneecaps). Probably because they are routinely used nonstop in our daily lives.

yeonassky thanked LynnNM
  • User
    7 years ago

Mercy Mercy! Some of you have had such terribile injuries, it hurt to read many of the responses! Wow! (((Hugs))) to every one of you!!!

The only bone I've had broken is my jaw and it was a pretty tramatic experience for many reasons. I've been very fortunate since then (knocking on wood).

yeonassky thanked User
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

I was out running a few years ago on the street. It was pouring rain, I stepped on a pine cone and fell off, not only that but because the road was so slippery because of all the rain, I wound out splaying myself out and hyper-extending my rotator cuff.

I tore all the ligaments in my ankle, broke the bottom of the tibia and then the rotator cuff injury. This lady came running out of the house and said to me - My husband saw you fall but never saw you get up, can you get up? nope I can't.

She very kindly drove me home and helped me into the house. I'm sitting there in the front entrance and I look at my ankle and I'm wondering, why do I have a baseball in my sock?. It obviously wasn't a baseball but rather a very, very swollen ankle.

My DH came home and took me to the doctors who X-rayed it and then sent me straight to physio. It couldn't be casted because of the swelling and the physio could deal with that and the rotator cuff. I spent months at physio and was finally able to start running again about 7 months later.

But, because of the ankle and the rotator cuff I couldn't use a cane or crutches, my kids were young at the time and thankfully my mom came in to town for a couple of weeks to help out.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH