SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benita_carvalho

Need help designing a new kitchen please

Jade BR
7 years ago

We moved to our house 2 years ago and since the beginning I didn't like the kitchen - because there are 2 doors and two low sill windows (plus an opening above the sink), there is very little counter and cabinet space.

The house has two living rooms (the previous family used one as more classic LR and one as a family room) and a DR. However, we only use one space as living room and the old dining room became an extra storage space for the kitchen and it is not used for anything else.

The house has no foyer to speak of and once you get into the house it is "very crowded" and people tend to go immediately to the kitchen.

I want to change that and have a bigger foyer (with a nice coat closet) using half of the current kitchen space. The other half I was thinking on turning into a nice pantry and also move my stacked washer/dryer there (right now they are in a closet inside the powder room). The old dining room will become my new kitchen.

We played around with the new space design, but I need help deciding where to place the sink, stove, refrigerator, DW. Also, do you think it would be possible to have an island in the new space?

I am keeping all my appliances because they were new when we bought the house and I like them. The only new things I WANT to add would be a very nice range hood and one of those wine fridges.

Both windows in the planned new kitchen space are low sill, but we can shorten one of them to allow for counter placement or sink (preferably, the one located on the side of the house).

We are also open to the idea of shortening the door opening between the new kitchen and new dining room.

Thanks so much for any help! I really appreciate it!

Comments (11)