SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl_gw

Please help me design my new kitchen

jerzeegirl
11 years ago

Here are two sketches - the first is of my current kitchen and the second is the future kitchen. I would appreciate any input that you might have about the choices were are making for our new kitchen.

Cabinets - We prefer frameless and are thinking Scherr's or Ikea with custom doors from Semihandmadedoors.com. We would like slab doors in a very light wood - maybe maple or beech veneer - with edge pulls. We would entertain framed cabinets too.

Floor - we would like to continue the hardwood from the rest of house into kitchen. Our floor are Mirage Red Oak 3" tongue and groove with slight bevel between planks. Since we keep the dogs in the kitchen when we are out I am considering not doing exactly the same floor but using unfinished red oak and polyurethane-ing the heck out of it. They are pretty sturdy but with dogs I need bulletproof. Light gray 12 x 24" porcelain tile is our backup plan.

Countertop: We are thinking brushed black granite (probably Cambrian or Virginia Mist or AB). I love soapstone but my DH has not been convinced. Might be too dark but DH has his heart set on some form of black granite!

Appliances: We are thinking of GE Advantium speed oven and GE induction range; Kitchenaid Dishwasher and Kitchenaid French Door fridge with the extra drawer and beverage center in drawer.

Lighting: CREE 5" or 6" cans and undercounter lighting. We're on the fence about pendants over the sink. Could be a small track is better.

Other considerations:

We plan to remove soffits.

The water cooler will move to the garage (since the fridge will have a beverage center).

We would like to have a new fan.

I would like to consider a solar tube skylight but my DH hates that idea.

We are planning to box in part of the garage and create a laundry closet and extra storage. The door will be in the kitchen.

Trash will be under half the sink.

We will most likely put a table and chairs in the eat in area.

The overhang on the peninsula - we do not plan to put stools there. I was thinking maybe closed bookcases (for cookbooks and tschotchkes). There is currently a secret cabinet under there with some storage space and some plumbing pipes.

Here are the pix again.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v231/jerzeegirl/Kitchen%20Remodel/

Hope this isn't too long. Thanks for your help with this - I got great feedback from you guys already!

Here is a link that might be useful: new and current plans

Comments (16)