SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manchotroyal_gw

Please help me find a new location for my kitchen

manchotroyal
15 years ago

Hello,

I'm seeking input about changing the layout of the house we're buying to move the kitchen.

Here's a link to the plan: http://www.floorplanner.com//projects/18442898/floors/18461929/designs/19770108?guest_pass=lk6459

My husband and I agree that the kitchen is too closed off and isolated from the rest of the house and has a lot of wasted space in the form of an eat-in nook. We both want to take down the wall between kitchen and dining (it's load-bearing, I think). But we have different ideas about where to locate the kitchen.

My husband wants to move the kitchen to the middle of the house and maybe put a formal dining area right off the courtyard. He wants the kitchen to be the literal hub of the main living areas since that's where we spend the most time as a family.

I am leaning toward putting it in the current family room, which has sliders to deck. There is a gas line to the fireplace so we could have a gas range, plus we have to get rid of the fireplace anyway because the chimney is structurally unsound. Putting it there would also allow us to have a functioning kitchen during construction. But I'm not sure what we'd do with the space housing the current kitchen--would it work as a family/TV room?

Another (cheaper!) option would be to simply keep it where it is and take down the wall to open things up, but I think there'd be a large dead zone in the middle of the house. What should we put there?

FYI, the house faces west, and we intend to wall off the courtyard to make it more private. We're in Portland, OR, so daylight in the winter months is a big concern. It's a one-level ranch built in 1970, about 2500 SF, on a crawlspace. We have 2 boys, 4 and 1, and would like to be near them when we cook (but also to keep them safe from hazards).

Any input would be greatly appreciated (and feel free to comment on any other aspect of the floorplan). Thank you!!!

Comments (13)