SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klseiverd

growing the produce section??

anoriginal
7 years ago

I'm a teacher aide in a HS. I help out in 2 elective classes (10-12th graders). I start and end my day in a "Greenhouse" class. Back in October, watched the kids unload DOZENS of little poinsettias and care for them till sold before the holidays. Now they're starting bedding and veggie plants for the spring plant sale. School had 6-8 of these neat hydroponic towers. Kids grew cukes and I made pickles from a few. Was surprised at how many HS kids had NO idea that pickles come from cukes... but that's another story for another time.

They have to keep a plant portfolio. It includes plants they rescued from one of the greenhouses at the beginning of the year. They had been languishing there over the summer. Had been watered and stuff but no TLC... many were pretty pitiful looking.

NOW the new assignment is going to be growing something "tropical" from the supermarket. They have to decide what to grow and how to grow it. I enjoy playing in the "dirt" so planning to try to grown a mango from a seed. From what I've gathered, process is about the same as an avocado.

I just KNOW these kids are going to show up next Tuesday without something to grow. I absolutely will NOT just give kids stuff, but planning to offer options... if they're willing to do the WORK. I know you can grow ginger by basically just burying a hunk in the soil. Bought a sad looking papaya (cheap... $.99) just for the seeds... seems they sprout rather easily. Plan to put together a WORK sheet for them to gather info BEFORE I give them anything.

My question is... what else in the produce department of typical grocery store... that's "tropical"... could they grow,,, successfully?? A few kids have already decided on pineapples... easy to start. One mentioned Dragon fruit, but from what I gathered (without a huge amount of research) it takes a LONG time for those seeds to sprout. I have a little Asian market that always has fruit you just don't see in Acme... like fresh litchis... that's not spelled close to correctly, is it?!?

Comments (22)