Freezer organization bins?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (15)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Question on bin set up and Freezer paper
Comments (7)Well, you've already heard about freezer paper and meat wrapping paper, so, won't waste time on that. Cardboard, eh, I tend to stick with shredded paper, like business letters, or, photocopy paper, less ink, per page, and its easy to obtain. Beside having our own paper shredder, my wife could bring home bunches of it from her work. best of all no cost, and it seemed to appeal to my worm's, so, why re-invent the wheel, so to speak........ Tempertures, max, for me was 75 degrees, over 85 degrees they will crawl out of the compost mix, for cooling. Below 50 degrees, they stopped moving around much, and would retreat to the center, of the mix (compost), thus a range of 65-75, seemed to work the best for me. Best rule of thumb, the compost temperture will be 10-15 degrees higher, than the surrounding temperture. I was three years, into the indoor worm bins, before that, I consentrated on building my earthworm count, outside. Coffee grounds, along with the filter paper, seems to be OK. Tea bags, were less of a success. Egg shells, unless well crushed, didn't go over very well, either. Citrus, tomato scraps, onions, peppers, and such, weren't well accepted, at least by my guy's. Breads, contain yeast, and gets quite hot, during the breakdown period, plus some molding going on, as well. Spritzing the top every other day, with water, is good. But, even some tap water, is too hard, or smelly, sulfer content is too high. Rain water, is just fine, its for the most part, soft water, and its free. If, you live right next to a coal fired electric plant, then you might avoid that too. Sounds rather picky, but, getting a good grade of worm castings, is the goal, and that only happens, when the worm's are happy, and productive. No meat products, is another good rule, or, animal manure, unless you don't mind smell. Basic rules are simple, good air flow, controled amounts of water, and fair temperatures. I always stayed with a mixture of greens, coffe grounds, shredded paper, and then, leave them alone, as much as possible. Depending on how much you want to produce, 2 lbs of worm's, would be the minimum, to start. Avoid over expectations, after 45-60 days, my 2 lbs of worms, were just really getting going, its not a quick process. Rule of thumb, is a doubling of worm population, every six months. My 2 lbs of worm's, were barely eating a half, to three quarters of a pound of food a day, and this is assuming everything is at optimum levels, right food, right temps, and moisture content. You will, most likely make a mistake, or two, I think everyone does, at some point. After last year, being so ill, I said goodbye to them and had my son release my bin worm's, outside into my raised garden beds. No-sense everyone suffering. I couldn't walk without falling on my butt, spent most of my time indoors, in bed, or, in my chair. Last year, was my "lost summer" year, my room was my domain, and the air conditioner, my best friend. Crutches aren't worth a crap, for getting around. Yes, some improvement now, but, it remains to be seen what this year will bring. Hope I haven't made too many spelling, or, typo's here, my eyebulbs are burning out, as well. Well, good luck on your adventure, I hope you do well....See Moreorganization of bottom freezer in FD fridge - best, worst?
Comments (2)We just got a Frigidaire Gallery - the freezer opens like a drawer and there are two pullout baskets, a deep one and a shallower one on top. Love it! It replaced the one that came with the house (I hated it so much, I can't remember if it was a Kenmore or Whirlpool) -- it was a bottom freezer that had a door (rather than a drawer) with a little shelf on top, a pullout basket on the bottom and a rack on the door that was too small to actually hold anything. It was awful! I grew up with a SxS and remember the freezer being quite narrow. It really depends on what you want to keep in it and whether it will be your only freezer. HTH!...See MoreOT? Question about freezer storage and organization
Comments (7)Great ideas! Here is what works for me and what I have taught others. One idea that cannot be overstressed is to wrap extremely well any food item you want to store for many months...double wrapping is only effective if the correct materials and techniques are used. A magnetic strip holds "the inventory" list for each shelf's contents on the door of our upright freezer. When I add an unlisted item, I add to the inventory, and delete when all of an item is gone. My DH is "finding-challenged," LOL, so this saves time. He knows that baked goods are likely to be in 5# flour bags. Cinn rolls are almost always in coffee bean bags, etc. Each item is labeled. Like grainlady, I group similar items together in small baskets or bags. Usually, the ready to eat foods are on the top shelf, since this is the warmest area and the bottom shelf is the coldest. The chest freezer, downstairs, also has an inventory list. In the fall-winter, I remove the baskets, so I can cram in all the chickens, squash, onions, etc. In the bottom half, I store all the cartons of food (extremely well wrapped), in windbreaker fabric bags. The upper half has bagged food also. Liter and half gallon containers of distilled water fill any empty spaces. A long sheet of bubble wrap covers the contents. The inventory list is posted on the nearby bulletin board and is absolutely necessary to my sanity. Sometimes, I note on my list just how many containers of an item I have left, especially if I have combined several items in one bag. For example, I'll note 2 half gallons of raspberries and 1 half gallon of peaches with 3 half gallons of blueberries...in one bag. (These half gallon containers have 1-2 cup portions of fruits.) This helps when I am making jam in Feb. If any fruit or veg is left from the previous year, when the next crop is freezer ready, the "older" crop is moved to the upright freezer for use....See MoreTop freezer or bottom freezer?
Comments (48)Wow, they look so much better filled with food! Mine would never look like that - I would open up that big clunky freezer drawer and it would be - EMPTY!!! (Probably everything I store in the freezer would fit in the two auxiliary drawers inside.) Which is why I ended up going for the Frigidaire top freezer after all. I was in PC Richard this afternoon placing my appliance order (great sale this weekend!). The salesman had already written up the GE Profile bottom freezer model, but while he went off to talk to the manager for a minute, I checked out the refrigerators again. That drawer is so massive. I have so little frozen food. Plus the GE Profile was *literally* twice the price of the Frigidaire. I've had a top freezer all my life, I'm comfortable with it, I wouldn't know what I was missing by not having a bottom freezer. And what if I ended up *hating* the bottom freezer?? After spending $1400 on a refrigerator!! I switched the order to the top freezer. And got to feel virtuous that *something* in this renovation actually came out on budget. :-) Thanks, everyone, for your comments!! They were absolutely helpful. I'm just a wimp. :-)...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 21 Nifty Pantry Organizers
Just say no to pantry chaos with these containers, racks, bins and other storage wonders
Full Story
ORGANIZINGOrganizing Secrets: It’s the Little Things
Get these 8 small areas under control for a major boost in overall tidiness at home
Full Story
ORGANIZING21 Tips for Organizing Your Stuff
Restore order at home with these ideas for tidying up cupboards, shelves, doors and more
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Garage
Stop fearing that dirty dumping ground and start using it as the streamlined garage you’ve been wanting
Full Story
LAUNDRY ROOMS7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Laundry Room
Get your laundry area in shape to make washday more pleasant and convenient
Full Story
ORGANIZING10 Principles of Organizing That Work in Every Room
Use these ideas to make it easier to find and put away your things
Full Story
CRAFTS20 Ways to Organize Your Craft Space
Tired of looking for a needle in a haystack? Giving tools and supplies a proper place steps up productivity and cuts down on frustration
Full Story
ORGANIZING7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Kitchen
Our weeklong plan will help you get your kitchen spick-and-span from top to bottom
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSYour Spring Organizing Checklist
Use these ideas for clearing out the clutter and keeping rooms neat and tidy
Full Story
ORGANIZINGHouzz Call: Show Us How You're Getting Organized
If you’ve found successful ways to declutter and create order at home, we want to hear about it. Share your ideas and photos!
Full Story


User