SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Spring Rose Order (went a little nuts)

SoFL Rose z10
7 years ago

Ok! So I went a little nuts and ordered way too many roses this spring. I have places for some, but some I have no idea where I'm going to put them. I blame
Peter Kukielski! After reading his book, Roses Without Chemicals, and having such good luck with some of my Kordes from last year, I ended up with more than I bargained for. Here's what I have coming in:

From Roses Unlimited (all own root)
Tchaikovski: at Peter's suggestion

Guy de
Maupassant
: to replace one i lost

Cinderella
Fairytale:
again, Peter

Floral
Fairy Tale
: Peter! I'm excited about this one though, as it reminds me of Tamora, a rose I love, but doesn't love South Florida.

Summer
Memories:
Again Peter, again excited, as this one reminds me of Bolero which has not done well for me the 3x I've tried it.

Out of
Rosenheim:
Peter (I'm into old fashioned reds this year)

Larissa: Peter yet again and so happy I found it at RU, it was under shrubs not Kordes

From K&M (ouch, my wallet hurts (still cheaper than Heirloom tho) on Fortuniana, yay!

Evelyn

Pat Austin

Florentina

Wedding Bells

LD. Braithwait

Spirit of Freedom

All of these with the exception of LD and Florentina are tried and true roses currently growing in my garden. I know they will do well and spent my hard earned money on ones I knew would perform, while taking a little risk on LD and Florentina. K&M is not cheap, but they are, in my opinion, the best roses money can buy. And really its the shipping that gets you.

From Edmunds: (Dr.H, meh)

Florentina (yes, again. I ordered it here first, then found out K&M sold it grafted and well...)

Jasmina Climber

Honeymoon Climber

Princess Charlene De Monaco (their catalogue cover rose)

Rogue Royal
I really don't know why I got these, knowing Dr. H is not a great root stock here. I do plan on putting them way deep in the ground (the climbers) and hoping they'll go own root. Rouge Royal and Princess Charlene will be going in large pots. They were cheap and gave me free shipping, they had the varieties I wanted to try. I was weak...(I need help)

From Chamblees: (Own root)
Dark Desire

Poseidon

Rose of Hope

Roxanne Veranda

I had actually totally forgotten about this order until just now. And just this morning I remember thinking that I should add a cream veranda to this before it ships. Seriously you guys, I need help!

Oh! And I ordered 7 Sun Rosas from American Day lily. 3 Pink, 3 Yellow and one red.

Don't tell my husband!

Anyone have anything fun to say about any of these varieties? Or feel free to share your shame about your rose addiction. It would make me feel better, really. :)

Comments (60)

• PRO
    Hummingbird Roses
    7 years ago

You don't even want to know how many I've ordered!

I have a blank slate, so.....

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Sheila, LOL on not having the willpower to pinch new buds! I haven't been able to do that either.

I'm so happy that there are good reviews on Evelyn here. DA's site said that she wasn't the most vigorous so I held off on her. Finally bought some and now they are exploding out of their pots so need to get them in the ground.

I've never heard one negative thing about Cream Veranda, such consistency.

• Related Discussions

I went nuts today taking photos

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks everyone, I feel renewed to go out and tackle the foot-tall weeds and bermuda grass in the front yard. Onion, those are rose-cane pongee sticks to prevent Samuel E. Fermi from using the potager for his own purposes. With all of those toes, we think he should have been a catcher in the big leagues. Hoovb, the Brug is in my magical corner. I can grow anything there, I even have a hellebore and an orchid in that corner. The spot gets sun in the winter and is lightly shaded in the summer. I water the plants there twice a week by hand, but the brugs droop for most of the summer anyway. It looks so good this year because it got very little frost damage. Hunter, I am the LAST person on earth to give advice on overall garden design. I have ripped out every plant and path in my yard so many times that I now run the pvc irrigation above-ground. I heartily recommend posting all of your ideas here to get great feedback from people with real knowledge about California garden design and plant choices. Irisgal- mmmmmm, birria tacos. Renee
    ...See More

So I went a little nuts....

Q

Comments (18)
    Sounds like you've been bitten bad. I've lost some because of root competition. Some that are doing fine for me are: Binoche Georgia Peach Tiramisu Caramel Encore Southern Comfort Green Spice Beaujolais Lime Marmalade Silver Scrolls Dolce Black Currant Plum Pudding Rootbeer Cherry Cola Changai Berry Smoothie I lost Electra because I moved it. I got a second this year. At leasr for me moving heuchera or trying to divide them is problematic. I love Snow Angel. It appears to be hanging in despite root competition. I finally found a perfect spot for Marmalade. The following heuchera are struggling: Midas Touch (root competition) Fire Chief (root competition) I think that if you plant your heuchera in the right conditions, the most being proper drainage, yours should thrive.
    ...See More

I went a little nuts

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Nota... Sorry to hear you lost some to mealies. They're hideous creatures. Watch that bella close - I quit growing bella because it was one of the worst mealy-magnets I grew. Just a couple FYIs... Once you have mealies, you have to be on guard forever. Just when I think I have them licked, I'll find one lurking somewhere. Check under pot rims as they tend to hide in such places. I inspect my plants every time I water, which is quite a chore, but worth the time. I used to resist using any sort of chemicals, but a year or two ago, I got some Bayer Tree & Shrub and water it in any plant I find with even a single mealy. I really have to try and find that article I read several years ago about Hoyas and watering. I've mentioned it several times here when the "water when dry" theory is mentioned. Quite a few people seem to have great success with it, and my Hoyas did ok when I lived by that theory. But after I read the article about how people typcially keep Hoyas too dry, I started watering mine more and found they seemed more lush and I started getting more blooms. Interestingly, I was listening in on a conversation between a fellow C&S club member and Mike Massara of Out of Africa (a good source for excellent succulents)... He was even saying that people way under-water their succulents. I think that the "don't overwater" mantra is so ingrained in us that we get absolutely paranoid about watering. For anyone who might be interested in testing the theory of more vs. less watering, I suggest getting two small Hoyas, same species, and water one twice as much as the other and see what kind of results you get. Denise in Omaha
    ...See More

JD Robb fans, I just went a little nuts.

Q

Comments (21)
    I know, Susanjf, but I can't imagine a Robb book having the same budget as a Willis movie.... maybe special effects aren't as expensive as I think, though..... So, OK, let's order up a few movies, they would be fun! :) The hologram room would be fun, too. Cruise as Reacher is just stupid. And when asked, Cruise said he was a little sensitive about the criticism. Um. REACHER wouldn't be! So right there, it tells you it's poorly cast! Hopefully, "One Shot" bombs and they recast for a 2nd movie. I won't go see it, I don't want my mental image of Reacher tainted. Plus, I don't like Tom Cruise.
    ...See More
  • SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh good. Not just me then :) Ha! Sometimes I wish I had a blank slate, then I realize I have a shovel and I start removing ones that aren't doing well to make room for new ones.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

SoFL rose

wow so many roses ! please post a pic of the cream veranda flush . from where do you get it ?

I have an empty circle around triple dwarf palm trees which I am thinking of planting a rose hedge . Do you grow Carefree beauty or Carefree wonder ? my only problem is that I prefer high tea form .

• mcnastarana
    7 years ago

I ordered mostly oldies this year. I have two of the newer Kordes shrubs, 'Zaide' and 'Savanna', and neither has been at all impressive so far.

From High Country Roses:

'Aicha'

"High Country Banshee", which is not Banshee. I have a theory that it might in fact be identical to "Graveyard Alba". One of the photos on the HCR site looks a lot like one of the Netter photos of GA.

From Joy Creek Nursery:

'Zintronfalter'

'Kent'

'Swanny'

From Rose Fire

'Commandant Beaupaire'

'Rhonda'

From David Austin, Ltd.

'Royal Jubilee'

'Lady's Blush'

I am waiting till March to see what Old Market Farm will put on their etsy list. As near as I can tell from the website, they are not selling retail this year.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pink Rose, I believe mine is Carefree Wonder. I got mine from a local nursery but it came from Nelsons. I got my Cream Veranda from Chamblees. Its on its own roots, but in a raised bed with store bought soil (nothing native). Have you tried Wedding Bells? It has a nice HT form. Pink Promise is another good one. Not from Kordes, but great resistance to disease and a very pretty HT.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Yes l bought wedding Bells from k&m roses and planted it last week. What l meant for the hedge I prefer a rose with high tea form .l am thinking of planting 4 bushes of the same rose around the palms so they can grow in a circle. What do you suggest .

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

What wonderful lists of roses coming this spring for all of you! I had never heard of K & M roses. I like the idea of Falstaff on Fortuniana! I could probably find room for 2 or 10 more of those! How big are the plants from K & M? I'm assuming they ship bare root since they're grafted plants right? How thick/mature are the canes? Thanks!

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Fortuniana is always potted never bareroot .The canes are small when they ship but grow very fast because its a vigorous rootstock.

7 years ago

I should also disclose my purchases that are coming this spring. :)

From Roses Unlimited (own root) I have a few french roses coming (Guillot):

Chantal Merieux

Elaine Gillet

Florence Delattre

And I decided to get a few roses from Palatine that I was originally going to get from Ludwigs... and a few extra just because they had some Delbards in stock still that I had been thinking about... and I had already made room for the 20 roses that fell through from Ludwigs. Even though Palatine roses are grafted on Multiflora... I think they might do OK here since the soil is acidic. We will see.

Schon Ingeborg

Souvenir de Louis Amade aka Threads and Crafts

Soeur Emmanuelle aka Towering Rose Magic

Mitsouko (I don't usually do yellows, but this one has such a changeable color... I find it alluring and I'm making an exception)

Le Petit Prince

La Rose de Molinard

I should probably also admit that I went in person to Regan's in Fremont after the Ludwig's order fell through and found a few I wanted... so I bought those too. I mean, I did already make the room for new roses! But really, who needs a reason? Regan's roses are nice and mature with thick canes, ready to grow, grow, grow. I don't get the luxury of knowing what rootstock they are on when buying from Regan's, but I do get the luxury of nice, big, potted plants and I can pick which ones look the best in person.

Bolero

Koko Loco

Melody Parfumee aka Zulu Royale

Baronne de Rothschild

Peter Mayle

World War II Memorial

So I didn't quite get the 20 roses I made space for, but I'm feeling pretty good about all these purchases right now! It is going to be a wonderful spring. I could probably sell flower arrangements on the corner to recoup some costs... but I'm greedy and I will just have them all in my house to I can selfishly enjoy them (and give some to my neighbors and family too). :)

7 years ago

Thanks pink rose! I guess that's why the shipping is so high! Makes sense.

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

I'm still waiting for all my orders to come in. Usually they're here by now. Guess the suppliers are watching the weather out here in "not-very-sunny-and-warm" California!! LOL With the Ludwigs fiasco, I am looking to order some extras to console myself. LOL I have already committed to OSIRIA, HEADLINER, TANYA, LIOLA and PINK MASTEPIECE from RU. Think I'll add a few more to that order. I want ETRUSCA, LILLIAN.. maybe ANNA OLIVIER, GEE WHIZ, FRONTIER TWIRL... haven't quite made up my mind which ones yet. J&P order is for SURREAL, ROYAL WELCOME, SRIRACHA and FLAMENCO. Edmunds' PEACH SWIRL, LOUISE HAY, COLOR MAGIC, PETAL PUSHERS CL, NEIL DIAMOND, PRINCESS CHARLENE and VIOLET'S PRIDE. Some of these are to replace dead ones... Oh and I have a second order coming from Steve at Wisconsin Roses for his lovely KRISTEN SINGER plus MOHANA, SHEER JOY and SHUG. I think that's all. I almost did an order from K&M, but they can only ship gallons to CA, and a couple of the ones I wanted were not available right now. Since the shipping to CA for 4 roses is well over $60, I decided to wait til the other roses are available in the fall.

I dunno about you guys, but I am sick of winter and cannot wait for spring to get here!! And it's raining lightly again now, and we're expecting a big storm starting Sunday night into Monday. We're all hoping the Oroville Dam stays sound til it passes thru here. It's crazy, The last few yrs we've all been praying for rain, and to get out of the drought. Now we're praying for it to stop so we don't get floods and disasters. We just can't seem to do anything halfway here in good ol' CA. It's all or nothing.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Lavender lace, believe me, Evelyn is vigorous. I've grown her for years and currently have four plants. I don't know what has gotten into Austin when it comes to Evelyn. I noticed they have (in my opinion) a perfectly ugly photo of her on their website, and now they are are saying she is not vigorous. I suspect something nefarious on DA's part---like discontinuing Evelyn because of low sales, or lack of plant vigor. Evelyn is a heat lover and should do well in your zone 8. Diane

• User
    7 years ago

Diane,....

...just to say that over here, Austin's have discontinued selling 'Evelyn', you won't find it on their lists anywhere. It is still available from some other suppliers but currently 'sold out' by most it seems. I was looking for it but I'm not sure I want it now..

Apparently it has been superseded by 'The Lady Gardener'... one nursery [not Austin], quotes this below about this rose...

''Only released in 2015 the gardening press have already hailed it as one of the best shrub roses for its resistance to disease, endless flowers and pure apricot colour''

...perhaps that's the reason why?... or maybe not...

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Do I dare disclose?? Lol, I am currently back in school and really should not be spending $$...(and I do not have much room left). Ok, see if I can remember what's on order:

Palatine:

Variegate de Bologna

Traviata

1812 Rose

Sweet Victoria

Out of Rosenheim

Nahema (ordered this one again in case my other 2 didn't make it through winter, but I think they did!)

Leopold Ritter

La Petite Prince

another Ascot (Diane's enabling)

Leonardo Davinci

Rogue Valley:

JBM Camm

Comtesse de Segur

Perdita

Vick's Caprice

Baroness Rothschild

Gloire de Ducher

Pierre Notting

White Meidiland (free)

Mystery rose

High Country Roses:

Alfred Colomb

Paul Ricault

Madam Isaac Pierre

Bay Laurel:

Rogue Royale

Liv Tyler

Peter Mayle

Yves Piaget

Angel Gardens:

Martine Giullot

Dueil du Dr. Renaud

Pearly Gates

Prince

Anna Jung

The Dark Lady

Enfant de France

Roses Unlimited:

Paul Bocuse

Yolande d'Aragon

Polka

Sonia Rykel

Dee Lish

Versingy

Cl. America

and then from Hortico assuming Cressida is not a failure

Cressida

Albrighton Rambler

Rose de Rescht

St. Elbertha

Auguste Renoir

I usually order from DA as well, but am waiting on those for now. Any comments on any of these? I thought I would have lost a few more over the winter with the constant frezze, thaw, freeze cycles...

• teka2rjleffel
    7 years ago

That darn Peter Kukielski. That book did me in too. It's become my favorite rose book. I have added to my already large order at Angel Gardens 3 times, Chamblees once and I have a bunch coming from DA, 17 new ones.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Marlorena, that confirms my suspicions. I should boycott Austin for his perfidy. So we go from the beauteous Evelyn to the Gal Gardener. Anyway, thanks for your tip. I think I'll blast Austin with a nasty email--a lot of good that will do me. For what it's worth, I think his Olivia Rose Austin stinks--I may not even give it the customary three years minimum trial (boy, am I in a bad mood). Diane

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Nanadoll, thank you, that's more great news on Evelyn! And LOL on your description of their photo! BTW, you are currently being greatly missed on the "winter" thread.

Marlorena, that's a very interesting point about DA possibly phasing her out. The Lady Gardener is on HMF but only a couple of ratings that say just "good" for disease resistance. But the scent is described as tea and vanilla and I've never smelled a vanilla rose. But I LOVE vanilla so now I'm intrigued! I wonder if it's in the US yet.

Wonderful lists everyone!

Kelly, since our climates are so different, the only one that I have on yours is Madame IP. She laughed at what we call winter and is still nice and green! I can't wait to smell her as I've heard raves.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Like everyone's rose list! :-)

Kelly, I hope your 2 Nahema are doing ok in your "ice land". I ordered more (3) Ascot this year too, already have 1 in the garden, just want to have enough for a bouquet once a month. Diane got me started with Ascot too. :-)

Guys, Check out K & M in FL, they have own root roses for $11 each!!! ..........and Joy Creek Nursery has some roses for $12.50 each!!!.......Keep shopping and don't stop!!! :-)

• User
    7 years ago

Diane / Lavender Lace.... I've sort of answered on the other thread, but I can't remember what the fragrance is like on 'The LG'.... tea and vanilla? well I'll check that out more closely this season. I find disease resistance to be better than average on this one...

I've heard 'Olivia Rose Austin' is not so great in the first year, so Diane, I hope you'll give it a bit more time, maybe it'll surprise you in a year or two...?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Marlorena, Olivia has been a disappointment, and she's taking up one of the last available spaces in my garden. But I know I should give the rose more time. But there are so many more roses I want to try that I think I'll like better. Diane

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    How on earth can Austin be phasing out Evelyn? And how could they say she's not vigorous? She has to be the best growing rose here in my garden next to Easy Does It and Dick Clark and none of the aforementioned have a bloom that even remotely compares to Evelyn. Evelyn is like the perfect rose. It's very vigorous, has good disease resistance, forms huge,perfect blooms that don't ball, they last forever in the vase and to put a cherry on top, it has the most amazing fragrance.
    I've tried the lady gardener and it failed miserably here!!!
    Ugh!
    Is it out of patent? Will US growers still be able to produce and sell it?
    Ugh!! Sometimes I just don't understand Austin.
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    7 years ago

If Austin is discontinuing Evelyn in the UK then in a few years he will probably discontinue her in the US..just a guess but we seem to be a few years behind the UK as far as the Austin websites go as to new releases and such. Evelyn is popular here though, so other nurseries may still carry her. However, if some nurseries are not carrying the older Austins so they can carry the newer ones only (I have heard that some have some sort of contract now) then it may be harder to find Evelyn here in a few years. If she is off patent then I suppose one can just trade rooted cuttings etc.

I think Evelyn is @ 26 years old now (1991) so would be off patent.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    7 years ago

My Evelyn is pouty and doesnt bloom as well as say Abe Darby or other Austins. When she does its heavenly. I think I need to try her on Fort. or maybe my plant is just a dud.

We get a LOT of rain in a typical summer here. I read that Evelyn might not be as happy in humid heat as dry heat.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

SoFl, K&M regularly shows up at Rose Conventions and sells roses. That's where I get mine from them. Our last one was in Birmingham, but before that they were in Florida. It might be worth it for you to see when they will be in Florida next and ask them to bring what roses you want. Saves on shipping!!!

SoFL Rose z10 thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
  • mcnastarana
    7 years ago

I counted about 20 US nurseries carrying 'Evelyn' on HMF, so I don't think she will be going extinct anytime soon. As for DA, I rarely consider his newest introductions, except for the hybrid albas. He stopped being innovative about 20 years ago.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I email him and hear back pretty quickly. Try email.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Thanks! Will do. :-)

• Sarah z8
    7 years ago

Sultry Jasmine, my Evelyn did poorly too. Rarely bloomed, covered in BS even with spraying, poor cane growth, etc. She was a sickly girl. There was nothing good about her except the few blooms I got. I've resisted getting any further David Austin's lol.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, my Evelyn is on Fortuniana guys and its amazing! Maybe you should try it on Fortuniana!

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

No orders for me this year. I do have two minis on back order from last year from For Love of Roses, Jolene Adams and Bold Ruler. I'm trying to downsize the patio pots so anything that doesn't make it out of winter in the beds will be replaced with something out of the pots and anything that dies in the pots won't be replaced. Oh, I know I'll probably pick up something locally but I really am trying to cut back!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Good luck with that Seil!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

I know how to down size the patio pots, you put 2 roses in 1 pot! :-) I combined some teas with my rose trees, 2 in 1 pot! Easy!

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

What a fabulous I dea, summer!! I only have one rose tree but actually managed to overwinter it in the garage!! (Already starting to break dormancy!) I have way too many roses coming this year, (forgot about orders from chamblees and Hortico), so I might end up putting several bands in with the tree!!

• Siri z8b San Juan Islands, WA
    7 years ago

Seeing these lists makes me feel a lot better about my "large" order this year heheh! This is an exciting rose year for me, as I'm putting in a whole bed specifically for cutting -- ostensibly for my floral/cut flower business but really so I can stop feeling guilty about snipping all the David Austins planted around the yard :)

My favorite supplier of cut garden roses is Fallon Shea down in Petaluma. She's a lot further south than me, but I used her favorites as a guide, as well as what Erin at Floret has growing on her place (which is quite near me but has that incredible Skagit Valley soil!) This is the most roses I have ever bought in one go (I got several of each), usually I limit myself to two or three a year. Exciting and also a bit daunting when it comes to footing the bill!

This year's list:

Dainty Bess
    Distant Drums
    French Lace
    Iceberg
    Just Joey
    Koko Loko
    Princess Charlene de Monaco
    Princess Alexandra of Kent

I should say that, while I'm aware some of these varieties may not be considered ideal for cutting, I've worked with most of them and have chosen them with this experience, and the knowledge that their vase life will be relatively short, in mind :)

• Sarah z8
    7 years ago

Reagan- Earth Angel, Liv Tyler, Veterans Honor.

For love of Roses- Whirlaway, Magic Show, Powerhouse.

Picked up locally- Neil Diamond, Madame Anisette, Paradise.

Wishing I could get my hands on Kordes Crazy Love! Ah well, next year. The hubby picked out Paradise, not one I would have chose, but we'll see how it does- it might get replaced *wink*

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

I loved my Paradise! It wasn't a heavy bloomer but very reliable and fairly healthy and wintered wonderfully until I decided to move it. I kill more roses that way. I have to stop playing Russian roulette with them, lol!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    7 years ago

Summer- is there any way you can link the sale at k and m ? I'm just not seeing a k and m in Florida . Thanks !!!

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Kandmroses.com

Actually its not in Florida but in Mississippi.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Thanks Pink Rose.

• teka2rjleffel
    7 years ago

Lilyfinch, they are in MS. Here is the address: http://www.kandmroses.com/index.htm. They are nice people but I haven't had good luck with their roses, nearly all died. I probably ordered 20 or more roses from them when I lived in FL. Another Garden Web person contacted me privately and said she ordered a ton from them had the same experience. It's been a few years and maybe the issue wasn't them but me, but worth mentioning. I really don't like to do it though. As I said they are nice people.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

Teka2

For me too .Roses from them struggle in my garden and are very slow to thrive .But I still order from them since they are the only people who have the biggest collection of Fortuniana rootstock roses.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    7 years ago

Oh dear !!! Thank you both for sharing that . Well I'm already in the hole with them over 100$ and that's a lot for this Sahm who's garden money is the months budget leftovers . Our Rose society was having a sale through them ( no discount , just free shipping basically) in the winter so I ordered from them and have been setting aside the funds , so I wlll just keep my fingers crossed they do well ! Eeekkkk .. I sure wish I had asked

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm, that's very strange to hear as their roses are very good quality and well grown. But, here is a question for you. Do you find that you have that problem only with K&M roses or with roses on Fortuniana in general?

I find that fortuniana is a slightly finicky root stock that has a tendency to either "take" or "not take". It takes a long time to become established (at least 2 years) and needs extra care during that time. Its not like Dr. H. After that time, the rose becomes basically indestructible, but many don't make it to that point if you treat it as if it were grafted on Dr. H.

It is also NOT COLD HARDY. It is only suitable for the south. I'm not sure the zones but I'd say no colder than zone 7 unless you are very good at protecting them in winter.

Another thing I've noticed with Fortuniana root stock is that it does not like to be planted in the hottest time of the year. You're better off leaving it in its pot until fall (in zones 9-10), I've had better luck with them then. Fortuniana forms a wide root system with deep anchor roots but rather shallow, spreading, feeder roots. These feeder roots can stay close to the surface and get damaged by intense heat in the first few months of planting so its best to mulch them well (but don't let the mulch touch the graft) and it helps to plant them in the cooler months to let them become more established before the heat sets in.

Now if the problem is strictly with K&M grafted roses then I'd really be curious. I have had a few of their roses fail, but no more than any other vendor both grafted or own root and almost always depends more on the variety and its health/vigor than the actual vendor.

Let me know your experiences, I'm super curious.

• Sarah z8
    7 years ago

Seil, perhaps I should have said it might die from some weird unknown disease..... Just kidding! Glad to hear you loved it, that's encouraging coming from you. It does look very interesting! :)

K&M Fortuniana- what SoFl Rose says is true. It's meant for southern growers/warmer climates. The ones I got from them were small one year olds, but all did grow and bloom here in z8 w a few 20F freezes.

• teka2rjleffel
    7 years ago

So FL, I'm glad to hear that you've had good luck with them. Their roses all looked great on arrival. I was in S. FL, Delray Beach, zone 10, so temps weren't an issue. I lost very few roses on fortuniana from other vendors, but nearly all from them. The garden web member who contacted me about them bought many more than I did. She was also in a warm FL zone on the west coast. She lost nearly all of them too. That was a few years ago. But it seems they may have fixed the problem. I'm so glad since they are really nice people and there are so few vendors that carry fortuniana rootstock.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Gee, I wonder. I will be receiving an order from them this week. This will be the third time I order from them. The first order was 2 years ago and all the roses are still growing in the garden. The second time I ordered from them I lost 2 of the 5 and I thought it was due to the fact that I planted them too late in the season. (I planted them in May and it was pretty hot) but wedding bells and Litchfield Angel are both still thriving, Shropshire lad is kind of meh. (I lost Carding Mill and Bishop's Castle).

This order I'm getting another wedding bells, Evelyn, Pat Austin, Florentina, LD Braithwait and Spirit of Freedom. All except LD and Florentina I currently grow with great success now, so I'll let you know how they do.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    7 years ago

I think the problem with k and m is that the rootball is small in their plants even in the 2 gallon size with long canes . Any plants l ordered from cool roses had big root balls and lots of leaves .Nelson's is best for me because they they are local and not shipped but they dont have the new varieties. I have learned that l have to baby the 2 gallon pot roses from k and m .even then they take a long time to start growing.

• marcindy
    7 years ago

Just so you all know... massive enabling going on here!! LOL <bowing in direction of screen> THANK YOUI!!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I know!! We are so bad :). Maybe you're right Pink Rose. I'm going to scrutinize my roses when they come in tomorrow and see what the rootball looks like.