SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmij

Paint issue - advice needed

Emmi J
7 years ago

I'm working with a general contractor on a major home addition. We're at the painting stage (interior) and the painters have just finished the trim. They sprayed the trim using Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo latex.

The problem: the finish on the trim and doors is rough -- unlike I've ever seen or felt on trim. You can see and feel the spray texture, which makes the doors and trim look almost like a cheap, pre-painted product or even made from some kind of cheap material.

My contractor is telling me this is normal, but as I said, I've never seen any trim like this before. (And I have used the Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo latex on other woodwork in the house and haven't had the same issue).

I would appreciate any input y'all have about:

- whether this is to be expected given the product used

- what might be the issue - e.g., is it likely applied it too heavily? not sanded enough?

- best way to resolve - sand and paint using a brush? or sand and respray with lighter coats?

I'm a bit apprehensive about asking the same painters to fix it, given that they seemed to feel the current result was acceptable. I certainly don't want to make it worse, but I've invested a lot in this addition and this current trim paint job really cheapens the whole thing, in my view.

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Michelle

Comments (15)