SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Happy Valentine's Day!

eld6161
7 years ago

DH and I exchanged candy and cards and will be going out for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.

As commercial and corny as this holiday feels to me, I still get a kick out of celebrating it.

Care to share your plans?

Comments (23)

• blfenton
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Happy Valentines Day to you and to everyone here. Hope you all have a great day and have a little bit of love along the way. ((((everyone))))

eld6161 thanked blfenton
  • deegw
    7 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day! My birthday was the 12th so there is always too much celebrating this time of year. Plus I had to partake in my free birthday loyalty goodies from Starbucks and Panera Bread. We went to dinner Sunday night and it was packed. Tonight we are staying in.

eld6161 thanked deegw
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day to all. Hope you all feel the love in some way today.

DH took me to breakfast this morning before I was off to work (told them I'd be late). We had exchanged cards already. We will go watch DGD play soccer tonight. It's the first soccer game of the season for their school and she can't wait. We love to watch her play. Will grill a steak for us tomorrow night.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • westsider40
    7 years ago

We are going out to a new to us ristorante so the element of surprise will be there. We are retirees enjoying our winter life in Arizona and many days feel like vacation days. We are very happy here and doing well most of the time being together 24/7. I could not have predicted just how great it is but then, perhaps, I was expecting more conflicts. Been married for 41 years! He is the love of my life. He gave me a card which said that I was the better half and he was the lucky half. Gotta love Hallmark!

eld6161 thanked westsider40
  • User
    7 years ago

My DH is sick with a bad cold, so I'm running through a drive-thru on my way home this evening and picking up a couple of Frito pies. Nothing says lovin' like Frito pie, right? ;-)

eld6161 thanked User
  • LynnNM
    7 years ago

I love Frito pie! Did you know that it was actually invented at the Woolworths lunch counter on the Plaza in Santa Fe, way back when? Hope your DH is feeling better soon!

eld6161 thanked LynnNM
  • 4kids4us
    7 years ago

As a couple, we haven't celebrated V Day in years. I buy the kids some candy and that's about it. My youngest's birthday is the 16th followed by dh's on the 20th, so we focus on those days instead.

eld6161 thanked 4kids4us
  • User
    7 years ago

Lynn - yes, and I have fond memories of having it from that Woolworths when I was a child! When DH and I went to Santa Fe last fall, we were just a little too early in the day to have it, on the day that we spent walking around the square. We went to the counter in the back of the store, and had our hopes dashed when the lady working said, "Nope. Won't be ready for another 20 minutes." Drat! We were famished and had to move on.

eld6161 thanked User
  • Errant_gw
    7 years ago

Your table is always so pretty, Lynn! And I keep meaning to try that recipe for the cakes, but then forget to do it. They sound so yummy!

It's just me, so nothing special going on. I will deliver some small boxes of chocolates to the grand babies, then maybe grill a steak :)

eld6161 thanked Errant_gw
  • bpath
    7 years ago

What a lovely table setting Lynn!

Today DS has a practice at school at 6:30, so we are dining early. DH said he'd make dinner but he's on a business call and it's already 4:30, sooo....I really don't want to cook because I'm sick. Low fever, coughing. Ugh. Well, the vows were "in sickness and in health"!

eld6161 thanked bpath
  • Errant_gw
    7 years ago

Sounds like he'll need to run out and grab something, BP. Feel better, soon :)

• Iowacommute
    7 years ago

We are going to install some more hardwood floors and order in somw Chinese. I helped with DD's school party today, and I can not take more chaos.

DH asked me this morning if I wanted to do anything special. I told him we could work on the floors, and he told me how lucky he was to have a low maintenance wife. Little does he know Im saving up my stock to get big stuff when the time is right. ;)

Being from Kansas City I can't help but to go into a Hallmark store. I can always find a nice, last minute present.

eld6161 thanked Iowacommute
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Lynne, you have some of the nicest table settings :)

20 minutes for a Woolworth's frito pie!! I think I could have waited!

I always make cute cupcakes or some kind of homemade goody for the grandbabies for holidays and deliver them with a card but this year I'm hobbling on a walker due to a stress fracture in my left heel. You know those pair of shoes you love but KNOW you can't wear very long? Yeah, well, our outing plans changed and I was in that type of shoe for nearly 12 hours Sat before last :o So the best Grammuffy could do was call the babies and wish them a Happy V-Day.

DH came home from work with two white boxes with red bows from a cherished French bakery in Tyler...Chez Bazan. One box of decorated choc. covered strawberries and the other contained a piece of heaven! Best I can come up with from their website is Cinnamon Napoleon w/ Raspberry Sauce. I had reminded him last night that exquisite delicacies were carb free on Valentine's Day ;)

• User
    7 years ago

I could take or leave V-day. We did nothing out of the ordinary as a couple. Today was a busy day. I was presented with a small gift and card from DS1 that DH helped him pick. That made my day. And we got DS1 a small toy and chocolate.

I feel left out that I have no idea what a Frito pie is. Ida, I hope your DH is feeling better soon.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Just Shimmer (my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) and me. Very quiet.

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

You can add anything you like but basically it's Fritos, chili, mustard, onions and cheese. At hs football games, they serve it in the Frito bag that's been split down one side.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

My husband came home from work with something pink...double pink eye! Who knows how he caught that. I said stay away from me and don't touch anything! ewww.

I've never heard of Frito pie. I don't like Fritos or chili so it doesn't appeal to me. It sounds messy and hard to eat.

• MsRed Byrd
    7 years ago

Lynn, simply gorgeous table settings. Love that angel. BP, hope you are feeling better today. We went out to breakfast, I baked a chocolate cake, then worked a bit in the garden, and later, granddaughter came over for a watercolor lesson, while DH grilled some rib eye steaks.

(We painted grizzly bears in the sunset.) Fun day. :-)

• MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

Oh I love Frito Pie! Cut a Frito bag open on the side, spoon in some chili, cheddar cheese, raw onion and relish.

We usually don't do much, maybe DH picks up some flowers. Well, yesterday I woke up to a beautiful love note and one of my favorite albums on vinyl (I got a record player for Christmas). So I had to scramble and made DH a cheesecake. He was equally happy with his gift.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

Frito Pie sounds alot like petros. HH I thought I might have pink-eye in one eye last week but it was just a bad allergic reaction. As much as I am happy we have had a mild winter (so far), the mold count has stayed high and I am paying for it right now.

I also had a love note that brought tears to my eyes. I made one of hubby's favorites for dinner and picked up dessert at a wonderful little bakery in the city. A quiet evening but we prefer that to eating out with the crowds. We always eat out on weekends anyway.

eld6161 thanked tinam61
  • robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

Busy digging out from the snowstorm here. I did some extra stuff around the house that he normally does and he brought home thai and chocolates from our favorite bakery. The bakery threw in two extra sweets! I thought that was nice.

eld6161 thanked robo (z6a)
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

Last night we lit some candles and ate rib-eyes with mustard butter, parmesan potatoes and a salad, all served on the winter china. The meal was finished off with a chocolate cloud cake (flourless chocolate cake with whipped cream) that my 10 year old had fun decorating with sprinkles. It is the type of meal we only have a couple of times in a year, so it was a nice treat.

Dh actually stopped at a couple of Starbucks to get used coffee grounds for my garden which is something he does not do often enough to suit me so I was pleased. On the downside, I need to get in the kitchen and wash the china, which I am not looking forward to, but the table was very pretty last night.

eld6161 thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County