SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splaker

Thuja occidentalis spacing

splaker
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hey folks,

I have been grappling with different thuja cultivars, from Hetz, to pyramidalis to use as a screen at the back of my property. I am coming to the conclusion that the standard occidentalis (northern white cedar) might be the best option for my location and the environment that I live in. Occidentalis is very common here in Ontario, Canada. They refer to them as swamp cedar. They grow well in our climate. The site is moist year round and it should get 6 hours of sun (maybe more). The fact that they grow very full and wide (over 20'?) is a plus. I wont need to plant 5 or 6. Height isn't an issue but width is. I can shear them if i had to but i like the natural form they take around here, a wide roundish pyramidal form...

So how far from my neighbor's fence should I plant? I have about 35 maybe 40' width to work with but i might just plant one as a specimen and plant other shrubs adjacent to it to add variety (such as cornus alba, serviceberry or perhaps chokeberry) or I might go with 3 and plant them a bit closer to each other in a triangular formation and let them grow into each other. But i still need to keep that neighbor's fence in mind. If planting 3 how close should I space them from each other?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting