SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfpwvt

Is tile on slab harder on feet than engineered wood on slab?

kfpwvt
7 years ago

(cross posted to flooring and kitchen forums)

I'm moving my kitchen to a location that is on slab.

I grew up with tile and tile in various rentals but I have had wood floors in two houses for the past 20 years. We are moving our kitchen to a location that is slab. Despite enjoying wood in my last two kitchens I was thinking tile for the water resistance (door to outside in kitchen, snowy climate, dog who comes in with snow on paws even if humans wipe boots). Also, the room is open to a room with wood floors that I cannot match so I'm thinking a wood to tile transition looks better than wood to different wood. But I also have some foot problems. I always wear shoes due to the problems so I wasn't thinking too much about the tile being hard on my foot. But had friends suggest given the problems that I strongly consider wood instead that even in shoes they feel the difference.

I am wondering how much of a difference on your feet wood vs tile would be on slab? My current wood and former home wood was not on slab and I can see that wood planks like that would definitely have more give. My currently laundry/mud room is tile on slab and I haven't noticed it feeling much different on my feet (in shoes) than the wood floors. But I don't spend as much time standing there as I would in the kitchen. I did notice that wood planks on slab felt harder than when on a 2mm cork first (like it would be with a floated vs glued floor). Is there any difference in feel on feet of engineered vs solid? With either surface I can use a gel mat or rug in my primary work zone. Heat is gradient so the coldness of tile is not an issue.

I also considered cork and am seriously considering it for another room (exercise room likely cork or rubber - any opinion there?). I just think with the dog, with stools that will get lots of use there is too much risk of tearing or denting the cork. Also, my husband isn't fully on board with the look of cork but I can work on that if I thought cork was the right choice.

Comments (18)