SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison_devlinmitchell

Matching engineered hw floor on slab to original solid oak?

Our 1968 multi-level open floor plan split has 2 1/4" red oak throughout, except over the family room which is on grade slab. The original floors were refinished a few years ago and in great shape. Our front entrance and large family room (which are tiled and carpet) are three steps down (and visible) from our kitchen/living room. We want to put wood throughout and we've been advised against installing solid hardwood to match the existing. I've been looking at engineered and found some that have a square edge and look pretty close to site finished - but there are none with narrow plank sizes to match what we have. 3" is the narrowest I can find. I am really struggling with this because it is about 700 square feet and I was really set on having consistent flooring throughout our home.

Should we try to match the color of the engineered to our original oak - maybe install it perpendicular to what we have? Is it better to try to match it closely or contrast - either in color or plank size? Are the steps down enough of a transition? Any help is appreciated!!

Comments (5)