SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Chocolate Chip Cookie experiments

fawnridge (Ricky)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My goal, as with all my cookies, is to develop a cookie that a) tastes good and b) completely hides the smell and flavor of cannabis. (For those of you who might be rolling your eyes right now, I bake for seven chemo patients who have had amazing results since I've been supplying them. Yes, I eat them as well; I'm in a battle with bladder cancer, but I was a heavy cannabis smoker for over 40 years.)

This recipe is my third attempt and the best so far. It's a very chocolatey cookie and it passed the wife test with flying colors (she's a choco-holic.) I did not make them with cannabutter, so I don't know if the "b" requirement will be met, but with the amount of mint and chocolate flavor I feel confident it will, even with the tweaking to be done with the next batch.

Mint Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1-1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (I used 2 in the first batch and I'm going to go back to 2 sticks for the next batch. 1-1/2 is too dry.)

1 packed cup of dark brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 teaspoon mint extract (I used peppermint.)

1 teaspoon baking soda

4 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used the mini-morsels in the first batch and they worked much better than the full size chips used here.)

Process:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. This dough does not have to setup in the fridge and you can start them baking as soon as the oven is hot.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla, and mint and mix well.

Mix the flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a large bowl and slowly add to the mix. Add the chocolate chips last and mix them in without beating them to death.

Roll the dough into 1" balls and bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Yields 3 dozen cookies.

Comments (33)

• donna_loomis
    7 years ago

Ricky, is your use of mint a large contributor in masking the flavor of the cannabis? I make salves for my husband's neuropathy and occasionally some baked goods. I've not made cannabutter either, just hate to throw anything still worth using, so after making the salve, I toss the cannabis into a batch of brownies. Obvious cannabis taste, but still effective. He does NOT like mint, hence the reason for my question.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No, the mint is not totally necessary. There's enough flavor from the chocolate and the vanilla extract. I just like the added coolness of the mint.

In terms of cannabutter, don't sweat throwing out the vegetative matter at the end of the process. It's worthless by the time you're done. The chemo patients complained about the taste in the beginning, so that's always been a prime concern.

I have eaten cookies in Seattle and brownies in Jamaica and both had a heavy cannabis flavor. It's not the worst taste in the world, but if you're eating these on a regular basis, you really don't want that taste in your mouth.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Q

Comments (3)
    Lucky you. Ginger! My neighbor waits for me to bake them and give her some! LOLOL These do sound wonderful. Thanks!
    ...See More

Secrets about chocolate chip cookies

Q

Comments (36)
    Those are absolutely gorgeous, bons! I made some last week also, and I have to agree they're some of the best CC cookies I've ever tasted. I used Ghirardelli 60% chips instead of the disks, and I aged the dough for about 50 hours before I had a chance to bake them. I've got eight cookie balls packed in a vacuum-sealed bag in the freezer, because we couldn't eat all those huge cookies in a single week. I'll be interested to see how they hold up when I defrost and bake. But this is now a go-to recipe. I'm another weirdo who prefers them cooled to warm out of the oven. I like that little nugget of firm chocolate instead of the hot ooze. This is probably a subject more suited to the therapist's office, though.
    ...See More

more on chocolate chip cookies

Q

Comments (10)
    That was wonderful! I just love baking science... I'm going to have to see if any of the information will translate to improving gluten-free cookies - my next baking frontier. My one criticism is how large he makes his cookies, but that's common because of the influence of commercial "fresh-baked" cookies sold seemingly everywhere these days, which are the size of a saucer. It wouldn't surprise me if you made smaller cookies than what the recipe suggests, it would alter the texture some. I like to get 20 small cookies to a baking sheet while his recipe makes 6-8 per baking sheet. -Grainlady
    ...See More

Mint Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cookies

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for replying Ricky. I really like mint though, I think I'm going to leave it out completely in half the cookies & put in only about an eighth teaspoon in the remainder & see how I like it, see how it goes.
    ...See More
  • plllog
    7 years ago

Ricky, as cookies, they look appetizing, but do try to consider the overall presentation in your photos? Placed individually on a plate might have been better than the, er, pile, especially in the thread preview. :)

Have you considered steeping your own mint rather than using extract?

• donna_loomis
    7 years ago

I think your presentation is fine. But, if you do not use cannabutter, in what way do you include the cannabis?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

In testing a cookie, I make it without cannabutter first. When I make the cookies for the patients, I simply substitute cannabutter for the regular butter. If the recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter, I use 2 sticks of butter to make cannabutter.

• plllog
    7 years ago

Donna_loomis, as Bill Bryson says, think like a 14 year old boy, and look at the picture again, especially in thumbnail form.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

plllog - my goal with the photo is to show the exterior and interior of the finished product. Not quite sure what sort of presentation works better. A plate of cookies might look more appetizing but as a baker, I like to see inside and outside.

• donna_loomis
    7 years ago

I guess I have no imagination. I don't see anything risqué or odd. Maybe I need to eat a cookie.

• plllog
    7 years ago

Sorry. I'll be more frank. The broken open one isn't the issue. :) When I first saw it on the preview, and sticking with me until now, was the thought "Who put a picture of poop up?" I'm actually glad that neither of you see that! They do look like good cookies. But the pile wasn't the best choice. A little paper towel showing between the individual cookies would do the trick. ;)

• annie1992
    7 years ago

LOL, Plllog, I'd not thought of that at all, until you said it and then I had to go back and see. So you made me look. (grin)

Actually, they look very good, and sometimes I like mint with chocolate, other times I'm just not in the mood for that, so I'd happy to know they would be good without.

Having never consumed, smoked, purchased, grown or possessed cannabis, my cookies will be done "without". (grin) I'm not opposed to the use of any substance if it's medically helpful, If edibles were legal and available in Michigan, well, I have two daughters and a grandson who have seizure disorders and I wouldn't count that out if it were found to be helpful.

Annie

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

annie - Michigan does have medical cannabis and edibles are readily available. I have a customer in Ann Arbor who uses edibles to control seizures with great success.

• party_music50
    7 years ago

Ricky, have you heard any feedback or do you have knowledge of the effectiveness of synthetic THC??? A friend has chronic headaches and one of many failed attempts at treating them was a pill of synthetic THC. Is it as effective as real plant/extract/smoke? I'm doubting it.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It doesn't work. Two of my chemo patients tried it and had no results at all. The best results I've seen and read about are from extracts / tinctures of pure THC or CBD, depending on the illness.

• party_music50
    7 years ago

Thanks. That's what I suspected and I tried to convince my friend to get the real thing... not sure if she can in the state she's in. :(

• chas045
    7 years ago

I'm a long way from 14, but my initial 'hit' was like plllog's. Both times I checked your picture, my monitor lighting was not the best, and I couldn't even tell that you had two pieces of cut cookie. It was essentially a dark mass of, well...

But glad that things are working well.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm guessing you're not looking at the photo on a large computer monitor. Either way, next time I'll be certain to make the presentation much clearer.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Are you trying to make an appealing photo for customers? There are any number of tutorials online for optimizing food photography. The cookies look like nice & fudgy, but I agree the presentation could be better, if that's important. A white china plate looks better than paper toweling, I think.

FWIW, the most successful masking of cannabis flavor I've come across were spicy little oyster/soup-sized crackers - garlic, parmesan, oregano & pepper did the trick. I think they were infused w/ oil, then coated w/ seasonings.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No. The photo is strictly for this forum. I wanted to show the finished product - inside and out. The thing I first noticed upon cutting a cookie in half is that none of the chips made it into the center of the cookie. They all ended up on or just below the surface, making them gooey until they were chilled in the fridge.

If you go back and look at the threads I've started with photos of baked products, you'll see that all of them show the interior and exterior. A loaf of bread looks totally different when you cut it open. Same goes for cookies.

Keep in mind that it's illegal to sell these or to advertise the sale of food that contains a Schedule 1 narcotic... regardless of how stupid that is in the case of cannabis. You'll notice that at no time do I say anything about selling these to my chemo patients. (This paragraph is just in case big brother is watching.)

• annie1992
    7 years ago

Ricky, I spent 35 years running the local Prosecutor's Office, so breaking the law at all was out of the question. My record is so squeaky clean that I've never even had a parking ticket. Now, fines and penalties depend on the area. Ann Arbor happens to have one of those $10 ticket penalties. My area? Well, it's a lot more expensive and it's still illegal federally.

I've never seen anyone in this area that had/has edibles of any kind. Our local "dispensaries" just keep doing things like having 200 "clients" when they are only legally allowed to have 12 or something like that. So one big grow operation springs up, violates law, gets shut down, all their equipment is forfeited and the cycle repeats itself. My daughter works for a nursing home and is required to be drug tested, so she uses it, she loses her job. My youngest daughter is married to a police officer. My grandson is 11, and children have been taken from their parents here for abuse after being provided with cannibis. So, until the law changes, we have the "perfect storm" of circumstances that just don't make it worthwhile to oppose current requirements.

Annie

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Annie - some day the laws will change and when they do, I'll be the first one to send you a box of cookies!

• User
    7 years ago

I hope everyone doesn't get mad at me for hijacking this thread temporarily, but DH and I were arguing over this just the other day: I thought that medical pot didn't get you high. He said it does. My sister said if it didn't, why are so many trying to get a script for it at the Dr's office she works in. So I figure you might know the answer. I haven't smoked dope since the early '70's so I'm clueless about it all now.

• donna_loomis
    7 years ago

I'm no expert, but I do know that application has something to do with it. The salve I make is, of course, not ingested and does not make DH high. Also, sativa and indica (2 types) have different effects. Indica will give you more of a high than sativa. I'm sure Ricky will have a better explanation.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cannabis contains many different chemicals. THC is the chemical that gets you high, CBD is one of the chemicals that has the most medical benefit. Both of these can be found in medical cannabis - some with just one, some with both, depending on the application.

In terms of cancer treatment and chemotherapy in specific, THC is the more useful of the two because of several effects. First, it induces an appetite. One of the first things that happens with most chemo is a loss of appetite because the taste buds are dulled and everything tends to get a metallic taste due to cisplatin (one of the chemo drugs.) The other effect is relaxation. Cancer causes anxiety. Chemo makes that anxiety much worse. THC relaxes the patient and relieves much of the anxiety. The old adage "stress kills" is real life. Cancer is stress to the nth degree. Relieving that stress may be the difference between successful treatment and failure.

For other medical problems, the amount of each of the chemicals in cannabis determines what it's effects on the human body will be. Seizures require more CBD. PTSD requires more THC. And so on. I'm not a doctor, although I was a paramedic for almost a dozen years and, having lost a wife to cancer and battling my own cancer, I've spent hundreds of hours pouring through medical research that relates to cannabis and cancer. So, I'm not an expert, but I've got a good feel for what works.

• annie1992
    7 years ago

rita, my research on it shows that Ricky is right, at least for seizures. It's the CBD in the edibles that help with the suppression of seizure activity. The THC is what makes you "stoned", not the CBD. So edibles that children can consume to help control seizures do not make the children "high", as they have little or no THC. In fact, CBD oil IS available in Michigan, my ex got some through his health food store. It doesn't seem to have any beneficial effect on my Grandson's seizures, though. Fortunately, his new medication seems to be working, but the problem with anti-seizure medications is that they are central nerve system depressants and cause things like tiredness, dizzyness and "brain fog", making it hard to work and hard to think, either at a job or at school. CBD doesn't have those side effects, so I wish there were a way to try the edibles in place of the commercially available oil, and see if that helped.

Annie

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Annie - I was baking for a Parkinson's patient up until he passed away several months ago. His shakes had gotten so bad that he had to give up his driver's license. After a couple of months of "cookie therapy" his shakes were gone and he got his license back, after taking a mandatory test and paying MASSIVE insurance fees. He drove home from the doctor's office on the day before he died. I don't think that just CBD alone is going to stop every form of seizure. I know that THC alone probably won't either. It's going to be a combination of the two at some point that will solve the problem, but then we're back to dealing with the law. Feh.

• chas045
    7 years ago

Ricky, you said: THC is the more useful of the two because of several effects. First, it induces an appetite. One of the first things that happens with most chemo is a loss of appetite because the taste buds are dulled......

Hmm... maybe what they need is some hot BBQ made by the guy who made the best BBQ in the state basted in some um butter. And cookies too.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Chas - it's not that they're dulled so much as everything tastes metallic and you just don't want to eat. My late wife ate both barbecue and jerk sauce during treatment and she said they both tasted like tin foil.

• User
    7 years ago

OK, I was confused by what they kept saying on the news.

• plllog
    7 years ago

I read something a couple of decades ago about a chemist who was trying to make foods that would appeal to chemo patients. She was making things that people without the skewed sense of taste wouldn't like, but would taste okay rather than like metal, etc., to the patients. I don't know if that kind of stuff is still around. I think each recipe was tailored to each individual, so it might just be too labor intensive, especially since it's something that couldn't be shared with the family. The cookies seem like a much better idea if it helps them eat regular food.

Were the chips mixed in? Or were they meant to sink in?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Were the chips mixed in? Or were they meant to sink in?

I thought they were, but apparently they weren't. I'm going with the mini chips for the next batch.

• plllog
    7 years ago

LOL!! You thought they were which? (Process of deduction says mixed.) I think it's interesting that they were pushed to the surface!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The dough was too dry and I mixed the chips in by hand. Solving both problems next week with more butter and smaller chips.