SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy_garrett25

Monstera leaves yellowing

Christy Garrett
7 years ago

Hi there,

We brought home a monstera deliciosa approx. 3 weeks ago. The nursery was going to split it because of how big it was (it now fills a 12 inch pot and it was in a 6 inch when we got it), but let us have it since I specifically asked for it and they didn't have any others to sell to us. It sat in that pot for maybe a week before I repotted it because I wanted the weather to warm up a little.

I didn't want to split it, so I opted to pot it up instead. It's in a 12 inch plastic pot with lots of drainage on the bottom. I used Happy Frog soil from Fox Farm Organics. I read that they like to be a little drier than most tropicals, so I only watered it the one time after repotting it. The plant is not situated about a foot away from a west facing window. It's next to my stromanthe and calathea, which I have humidifier on for the better part of 24/7 (we're in AZ) so it's near to that but not directly in the mist. The plant has already grown a couple inches each way and put out two new leaves since we brought it home, so it seems happy enough.

However, I first noticed one leaf that was yellowing on the plant. It is an older leaf (not fenestrated) near the bottom of the plant. I figured it was just shedding an old leaf, but then my boyfriend noticed another close by! Also older, near the bottom. One of them is yellowing from the inside out, but the other is yellowing from the outside in. So someone suggested it might be nutritional, specifically a sulfur deficiency because the way that one of the leaves was yellowing. So I looked into that and it seems that sulfur is acidic, my soil is neutral, and monstera actually prefers something slightly alkaline. I also noticed sulfur deficiency affects NEW growth and not old. All of that seems to suggest a nitrogen deficiency - but the soil I used has tons of nitrogenous organic matter. The plant seems to be sending me mixed messages, and I'm not sure how to proceed because I don't feel 100% certain either way and definitely don't want to do the wrong thing and make it worse.

It also crossed my mind that it might be a delayed response from being so pot bound since it was only recently potted up, but I'm not sure how likely that is. If it something to do with growing conditions that already hasn't been fixed, I'd really like to be proactive because I like the growth habit it currently has and want to preserve the bushiness of it.

Here is a (very poor quality - my camera doesn't do well in low light, I apologize) photo of the entire plant (I know the calathea is sad, trying to revive it):

And here is a photo of the problem leaves (the second one is not as visible as the first):

These were taken last night and they have both continued to yellow. :( I gave the plant a little leftover coffee from our press this morning (probably not enough to do anything, but thought it couldn't hurt either) as well.

Any thoughts?

Comments (4)