SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isgen

Are your 2017 season plans made up yet?

isgen
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I settled on my pepper roster for the upcoming season. How many plants of each variety and whether in containers or in-ground may yet change, but it's very unlikely I'll be adding or removing from the following list:

Returning from either saved seeds or overwintered plant:

• Scotch Bonnet (looks more like hab). I have two plants overwinterring, I don't think I'll plant more.
  • Jwala "finger hots", straight from India! I have one overwintering and will plant at least one more. The overwintering one did well in shade and late-season cool weather, go figure!
  • Yellow Rocoto. I have two plants overwintering and will not be starting new ones, well kind of. I am trying, mostly for kicks, to grow a new one from a cutting. It's been in potting soil for several weeks and it's sorry-looking, but not dead yet. I won't have the heart to ditch it if it takes, so perhaps I'll have three in the end.
  • Mini-sweet peppers. These were pretty prolific and tasty. I need to start them from seed, likely 4-5 plants.

I had no intention to try new peppers, but of course I got suckered into it when browsing seed catalogs. At least I limited myself to two varieties.

• Biquinho Amarela. A cute as heck small C.chinense, apparently not too hot, flavourful and prolific. Will try for two plants.
  • Piment d'Espelette. I heard/read good things about this classic basque pepper and will thus be trying it. Likely two plants as well.

Overall, I'll probably have 14-16 pepper plants going.

Other than that, I'll have the standard garden fare of early hardy leaf and root crops, followed by tender crops and back to hardy stuff later on. Changes will be a vertical setup for cucumbers to climb on, so as to save some of my limited space. I'm crossing my fingers they grow better than last season. Same with tomatoes, which were a dud last year. I'll be trying a bunch of funky tomatoes of various colours and shapes, all brought back from eastern Europe. I don't have proper names for them, only descriptors, adds to the mystery! I also ordered some Physalis seeds; we all like these at home and they don't look too hard to grow, plus it'll be nice to have something "more of a fruit" in the mix.

I'll be starting pepper seedlings in a few week's time. I have to eradicate the fungus gnats on my overwintering plants before that, for which I bought some peroxide to add to their water, it usually does the trick after several rounds.

So what are your plans, if any? Will you be growing anything unusual or of specific interest?

Comments (32)

Sponsored