SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annekreel

Replace this bay with double hung windows to expand kitchen?

BenjiBoi
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are getting ready to redo our kitchen. My husband really wants the bay window to stay and I want it to go. It is the only window in our house that has not been replaced (almost $4,000 to replace) and is too low to put cabinets underneath to expand our kitchen. I also think bay windows are outdated and like the cleaner look of double hung windows.

My husband wants it to stay because of the view we get of our backyard. I love the view too but we hope to replace the peninsula and table with a long island. Since we would be sitting at counter-height stools, I think a large double-hung windows (above and extended counter) could accomplish almost the same thing. (And we would get new windows and the savings that comes with it.) We almost always look straight out the larger portion of the window and not the side windows because of some of the landscaping we have added.

If there was room to put a window seat under the bay, I could live with it. But we can't make that change with altering the exterior of the home.

What do you think?

Comments (34)