SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2nrussell2

Native Plants. . . Mimosas and other beautiful things

I'd never seen a mimosa tree until last summer. We were at the lake, and we noticed these trees with the interesting flowers. I said to GDW, "I wonder if those are mimosa trees." I have no idea where that came from since I'd never seen one. But got home and googled it, and sure enough. I wanted one immediately. And so I read up on them on the internet, like I always do, and seems that they are considered very invasive and not good in our area, depending on various points of view. When I moved down here, I was gung-ho to plant everything--and everything I knew was from Minnesota. Fortunately--or unfortunately, one of my very good friends is a Ph.D. in botany, specializing in native plants and the importance of propagating them and discouraging non-natives that may crowd out the natives. And so I promptly signed up for the OK Native Plant Society. And so I am super-wary and careful about what plants I'm planting. For example, Bradford Pears. The previous property owners here had planted 6 of them along one of our property borders. I found that is considered to be an invasive species in OK. This one seems to be Satan--The Chinese privet--and indeed--it is EVERYWHERE lining our road onto the highway into town. So now before I ever order any flower or shrub, I first check it with the OK invasives lists. I saw a cute and charming little Scotch Broom at Lowe's last year so bought it. And then looked it up and found it was listed as invasive. I haven't destroyed it--yet-- but clipped it down by 2 feet last month. Maybe it will go.

I was bummed when I read about the Mimosa, as I had promptly fallen into "infatuation" and wanted it. But after reading up on it, decided maybe not. And am still in the probably not school.

I want to be a good steward of the land. And I am a convert about native plantings. So I always carefully research that aspect when I'm building my flower beds. How about the rest of you? I know, often there are pros and cons, and I try to weigh all that. My thinking is mostly--that if it is easily airborne or birds love it, then I most likely will cross it off my "must-have list."

Comments (5)