SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthew_holloway43

Planning for basement redo - electrical questions

Matthew Holloway
7 years ago

Hi all,

I'm starting to plan for a (1300 sq ft) basement "redo". The house is 60 years old and the basement finish dates to that time. The outer walls are 2x4, 24" on center directly against the concrete, the ceiling is acoustic tiles glued to a wood frame. I want to remove the ceiling and perimeter walls and clean and dry-lok the concrete, leaving the structure above and painted concrete exposed. Some of the partition walls (bathroom and a storage room/wine cellar) will be kept.

My questions (first of many I'm sure):

For the electrical outlets that are currently attached to the studs of the perimeter walls - When I remove the paneling and studs is it appropriate to enclose the wiring in conduit and mount the outlet box to the concrete wall, after dry-lok application to the wall?

For the electrical outlets that are inside partition walls being removed - would I terminate that wiring within a new box I attach to the ceiling? Could that new box be an outlet rather than a termination? Outlets in the ceiling would be mighty handy - it's a big basement.

(Just for completeness, the minor water issues have been addressed with drains and re-grading outside, asbestos and radon tests are clear.)

Thanks for your help, excited to be a new member!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus