SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_pfosch

The first hosta pic 2017

Karin Black Cat
7 years ago

It was not MA but Minuteman who won the race for the first picture 2017 :-)

Comments (34)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    7 years ago

Wow Karin, what a cheery sight for you. I will not see pips for over 2 months. Sigh...

Karin Black Cat thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The other pots are still frozen. Minuteman has a more protected place and got not so wet in winter. I was outside for two hours and did some rearranging of the pots and it was cold, but nice :-)

• Related Discussions

Hosta pics, my first multi pic post

Q

Comments (7)
    You did fine--and I'm enjoying the pictures tremendously. I just spent the past week mulling over some new (for me) hosta--my semi-shady/high shade area got destroyed (along with most of my hosta) when they took down the giant sycamore some years ago, but now my river birch replacements are giving enough shade that I can once again consider growing hosta. You have shown pictures of a number of the ones I have been closely considering. So helpful to me--as well as being such lovely shots of them. Thanks for all your time and energy here--and your fine photography! Kate
    ...See More

My Favorite Hosta Pics 2012-2017

Q

Comments (7)
    Really nice Don! Sometimes I play a game with myself and say "if I could have one, which one would I choose?" Well, it's a toss up---Christmas Tree (beautiful large leaves and wonderful form or Lakeside Kaleidoscope (awesome variegation). I can't decide!!!!!!!!
    ...See More

My Favorite Hosta Pics 2012-2017 Part II

Q

Comments (17)
    My Cathedral Windows are finally starting to look like it, thanks for posting pics of mature hostas, always a pleasure to see what mine will be looking in the future. St Paul does look stunning. Got small Wolverine, I have beautiful Dark star, Hoping to place Wolverine in the pot and enjoy it cascading habit....
    ...See More

Hosta U 2017

Q

Comments (55)
    Yes peren.all, no hostas for long time here. We just have to be patient and admire others pictures. Today corner of our house and part of yard. But I'm happy that we have normal winter, much snow and cold. Last winter was something else and it killed many of my hostas. 26th May 2017 first pips, Summer Breeze. So I think I'm quite late in pip counting party in 2018 Saija
    ...See More
  • Saija_Finland
    7 years ago

Wow, it's nice to see pips. I think I have to wait my pips almost 3 months. I just must enjoy your pictures meanwhile spring finally comes to Finland.

Saija

Karin Black Cat thanked Saija_Finland
  • josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago

Karin, congrats! Holy Hostas! Lucky you to welcome those bright purple pips so early.

I'm a pip-counter and I can hardly wait. I have to sit at my desktop first (maybe twice a year), update my list with new 2016 acquisitions and add a 2017 column. Print off my alpha-pip-counting-list and I'm ready to go!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hurrah for Minuteman! It's so exciting to see the first hosta emerging. That means there is more to come soon!

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pip-counting, Jo? Maybe I will do that one day when I'm retired. It's interesting to keep track of the growth of the 'Sorgenkinder'. At the moment I'm only happy about those first signs of spring and covered minuteman's pips with a bit of grounded coffee, because cold is announced for next week.

• Saija_Finland
    7 years ago

Josephine: I also count pips :) And my list is already waiting (I have already printed it) . I use Google drive sheets. I'm really excited and maybe little bit crazy. So many days until I can count anything.

Saija

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Saija, that's a great idea with Google Drive! I use Google photos already, but never thought about checking out all other Google apps. So I can spend this rainy Sunday with a little bit of organising:-)

• Saija_Finland
    7 years ago

I have in Google many different hosta lists: ABC list, hostas in age order, pips list ........ I just like to keep track of my hostas :)

This year I must take much more pictures. I thought I had enough pictures taken last year, but I really didn't have. Many hostas were not photographed at all. I must organize better this year.

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

When I started with some unknown hostas from a friends garden, I was unorganized...Now that I'm really addicted I'm also keeping track of my new ones. It was too hard to get names for all that NOIDs. That will not happen again:-) I have lists in excel on my computer and pics are in different files. But with Google I can take the tablet outside and organize directly. Thanks again, this is opening a new perspective of track keeping for me :-)

7 years ago

Saija, thank you for the tip - I am curious about the Google drive. I just created my own tables which is quick and easy for me but like you, I have varied lists. It's nice to look back to when you first purchase a hosta, then compare its pip growth from year to year. It affords me time to plan relocation of other surrounding plants when a hosta is reaching maturity and I don't want to move it. Because of lack of gardening space, I tend to crowd my plants and inevitably have to move some.

Karin, even though Minuteman was in a more sheltered area, is this the earliest you have had pips come up in pots?

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jo, last year I started to take pictures beginning of April and the pips were already out a little bit. I haven't checked as often as I will do this year :-) I think the first started around mid/end of March. But then I did not have so many in pots...

No other pots show signs of life, some are still frozen. I don't know why Minuteman was so early. It was a total surprise and I only looked because Bruce and Denis mentioned that MA has pips. So I went to check mine...

The garden still looks so empty, but I sat in the midday sun for 10 precious minutes, then it started to get a little bit cold :-)

Minuteman placed for taking pics on the white chair:-)

7 years ago

Aaah, mid day sun can be so soothing outdoors in winter... Your gardens are certainly nicely organized. C'MON SPRING!!!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    7 years ago

Saija - I also use Google Drive Sheets. I love Google Drive for organizing all kinds of documents. I have a folder for recipes, gardening, and other categories. These are great because 1.) they're easy to use; and 2.) they are accessible on my iPhone app. So, I'm going to the store and wonder what's in the recipe I want to make -- I can see it with the app. I guess you could also just go through Google on the phone, and log-in. When I'm at work I can just log-in on my computer there and see everything on my Drive.

I recently started organizing my plant info in Sheets - which is a lot like Excel, but maybe a little easier and more intuitive to use. I inserted a "sum function" so it adds up the prices of the hostas I want to buy. Yikes! The list keeps getting longer... and more expensive!!!

• Saija_Finland
    7 years ago

Windymess: It's the best thing with google drive, that everything is always available what ever device you are using.

I also have lists where are my hosta orders and hosta prices. I think here in Europe and in Finland hosta prices are lower than yours. But maybe ours have less pips and are smaller.

Saija

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    7 years ago

I have about 15 started to come out. It is not big growth and some maybe just one leaf. My hostas, who hate me, are screwed up as I have had maybe 20 minutes of truly cold weather. It will be an interesting year,

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Today I noticed that Blue Angel has pips, too:-) 20 minutes of cold weather? Paula, isn't that also a joke? Don't give up, maybe they adjust some day to the tropical temperatures in Florida.

• almosthooked zone5
    7 years ago

Wow, Certainly not hosta weather here in BC this year. There is even snow in Victoria and Vancouver. Really nasty weather . I might be in May this year. ha ha

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    7 years ago

70 here in Colorado the next two days. No snow!

• Saija_Finland
    7 years ago

Here in Finland is now very cold, nights are -20celsius (- 4F ) and days -15celsius ( 5F ), but we have very little snow. It gets little warmer few days, but then again cold. Usually we have lots of snow, maybe we get snow in march or april. That would not be suprice, that's finnish weather. But luckily I can admire all your spring hostapictures then.

7 years ago

Faye, that is the most snow I've seen in BC! Looks like Ontario! Brrrrr

• almosthooked zone5
    7 years ago

Jo, It has been a nasty year for sure but on the positive note it will replenish the water table for our fields and well and give our hosta a wonderful start in the spring.

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd love to have this wonderful tree in my garden!

• almosthooked zone5
    7 years ago

Karin,,,,Did you mean the Weeping Willow? It is a really messy tree but sure gives loads of shade. They grow very fast if they are given lots of water. Where are you located? Too bad you are not close as they root so easy from a branch stuck into a bucket of water. Corkscrew willow are also easy to start from a branch .

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, I love the Weeping Willow. It would grow here easily, but I have not enough room for it. Your's is so big and beautiful as the one I remember from my childhood days. The branches went down to the river and we were playing and hiding between them...The good old days, you know...But you are right, the small leaves make a total mess in fall...but during summer it is gorgeous, especially on windy days...all that movement and life...But I will at least plant a corkscrew willow this year and I hope my small Japanese maples have survived the winter, they will be fun,too.

• Cicely Germany
    7 years ago

Here's my first picture. But oh dear - Purple Heart has turned into snowdrops...

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cicely, I bought Purple Haze last year. It will be the first time that I see it in spring. Also Grey Ghost...I hope both survived the winter, it will be exciting to watch all my new ones grow...

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

It would have been nice if spring had waited for my winter vacation to be over. The garden is full of blooming daffodils; phlox and periwinkle are starting to bloom and chickweed is growing everywhere. Ready or not, spring has sprung in North Carolina! I did find two tiny eyes attached to one root in the Coconut Custard hole. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will live.

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good news about Coconut Custard:-)...Is spring always that early in North Carolina? Here it is still freezing cold and that is quite unusual. I only found some snowdrop and crocus pips when cleaning the garden yesterday. They are late...

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

No, this is normal weather for New Orleans, my hometown, where hostas won't grow. In North Carolina, my current home, this is a month to six weeks early.

Karin Black Cat thanked zkathy z7a NC
  • zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

Of course, it was a beautiful spring day in the garden. The bugs are already out, I got bit and sunburned because of no shade. The winter bloomers are trying to catch up with the spring bloomers. I'm thrilled that it is too cold someplace. Because it is certainly too hot too soon here!

• Karin Black Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Strange weather conditions this year, I am one to believe in climate change.

But nevertheless, getting a little bit of sun is not too bad after this long winter :-)

I hope you won't get a late frost as we had it last year. Everything seemed perfect and then mid of April two freezing nights and all hostas had shrivelled leaves and brown spots, even those from the dealers. They all recovered, but it put them back a lot.

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

they are NOT pips … *had to renew the … discussion*