SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dandyrandylou

What are you reading in 2017?

dandyrandylou
7 years ago

Am in the middle of "The Tea Planter's Wife" by Dinah Jefferies, an author with whom I've not been familiar until now. The story takes place in Ceylon and is fascinating!

Comments (65)

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Finished "The Tea Planter's Wife" and recommend it. Now into "River Road" by Carol Goodman - a great suspense novel!

• caflowerluver
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The Daughter of Time by J. Tey. It is a mystery written in 1952 about King Richard and the death of his 2 nephews in the Tower of London. I like historical fiction and mysteries and this has both.

• Related Discussions

What are you reading? I'm reading

Q

Comments (44)
    Ah I always check out these postings. I've found some excellent reads thanks to my fellow book lovers on this site. Right now I have a few suggestions that I have just finished or am on the final pages of: The Potato Factory - Bryce Courtenay (been out a few years and just discovered in the library reject pile) House of Spirits and Whispers - Annie Wilder . This is the true story of a haunted house. Is it scary...no, but as I love old houses and things that go bump in the night I liked it for a change of pace. Alone in the classroom - Elizabeth Hay. Half way done and am liking it well enough but wonder about all the hype. Those are my offerings this time around. Budster
    ...See More

January 2017 - What are you reading?

Q

Comments (81)
    I've started listening to audiobooks in the past couple of months. While I prefer to read books, I work for a caterer three times a week and spend 5 hours on those days in a kitchen, alone. I used to listen to music, but one day downloaded a book and realized it was a great way to "read" more books. Last week I finished Chris Cleave's latest novel, Everyone Brave is Forgiven. I loved this novel, which I thought was beautifully written, with very clever use of witty humor in the dialogue. The narration was done very well, and perhaps that led to my enjoyment of the story. The downfall of an audiobook is that it doesn't lend itself to "reading in bed" at the end of the day. I found myself not wanting to stop so would listen to it every time I got in my car as well! I'm currently reading Letters to the Lost. I'm not sure where I heard about this one but it's just okay. It also takes place in London during WWII but later in the war, and it isn't really about the war at all. It's just okay - about two people who fall in love during the war but one is newly married to a man who doesn't love her. An average book that I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend. A friend recommended The Hired Girl as one of her favorites from last year but I didn't realize it's a YA novel and clearly reads that way. I'm listening to this one as an audiobook but find the narrator a bit annoying. Another one I wouldn't recommend except perhaps to my teenage daughter. I'm anxiously awaiting A Gentleman in Moscow and Hillbilly Elegy from the library. I've quickly moved up the list for A Gentleman (38 on waiting list) but for Hillbilly Elegy I'm 231 on list for the audiobook and 251 for the actual book!
    ...See More

August 2017 trees, show us what you got!

Q

Comments (126)
    Kvetch. Jinny, sunshine thanks for the kind words. I foliar feed only the scion 2 times a day and I place it in the light for an extra 5 hours just before sunset. I have left the C35 snapped over to produce a lot of food for the whole plant. the higher level scion is th only part of the tree that sees light. So far no rootstock growth above the graft but I have broken over 5 buds below the graft. I am going to leave the rootstock top intact for another month or 2. The rootstock top will be in the way when I bring the tree in for the winter.
    ...See More

Favorite Reads of 2017

Q

Comments (10)
    I get most of my books from the Boston Public Library and a large library system in which our town participates. This was in my email today. I read The Girl on The Train, The Goldfinch, Hillbily Elegy, A Man Called Ove and am still on a waiting list for Handmaid's Tale and All the Light We Cannot See. I read e-books on my iPad using Overdrive. Boston Public Library’s Top Borrowed Titles of 2017 It's no secret that Boston loves books, and now you can see which books Bostonians of all ages loved best in 2017 with BPL's top ten most-borrowed books lists. BPL's Top Ten Borrowed Adult Books of 2017 The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty The Girls by Emma Cline Commonwealth by Ann Patchett The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
    ...See More
  • caseynfld
    7 years ago

Just finished "A Man Called Ove". A bit slow at the beginning but it really picked up and in the end was a great read.

Now to decide what to read next................

• stacey_mb
    7 years ago

For the first time, I plan to read the print version of an audiobook I'm listening to right now. It's so good that I want to linger over the text and not speed along in audio. It's a nonfiction about a British ship that was torpedoed by the Germans in WW II. The ship had several hundred passengers, but most important were the 90 children who were being sent to sanctuary in Canada. The families had consented to the children leaving with the understanding that Royal Navy ships would be on hand as guards. But no Royal Navy was present when the Germans disregarded the rule (or changed for their own benefit) that after a ship is a certain distance out to sea, they would be in a neutral zone. The attack happened in the middle of the night in high seas and sleet. This was a heart rending tragedy, but also many stories of bravery, especially among the children. For example, an eight year old boy constantly reassured a distressed woman while they were in a lifeboat that a ship would soon come to save them, he sees one coming. There was no ship coming and I have not yet gotten to the part where any rescue occurs. Excellent book! Goodreads - Miracles on the water

• Olychick
    7 years ago

caseynfld, try his other book Britt-Marie Was Here. I enjoyed it even more than a Man Called Ove.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    7 years ago

I found a James Harriot book at the library resale store and am reading it. Each chapter is about a separate episode in his vet practice, so it is perfect for reading in bed since putting it down after the chapter or half way through it does not give me memory problems when I pick it up again. Who is she? Is she the daughter or the murderer? Is this after the police came or before? Is the speaker his wife or lover?

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sheilajoyce - Thought I'd read all of James Harriot's books (several times!), but don't know of the one of which you speak about a murderer. Please give the title. Thank you.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Just finished In Farleigh Field: A Novel of WWII by Rhys Bowen. I love the way she writes. I would characterize the book as a cozy mystery.

Next up are Escape Clause by John Sandford, The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Jayne Ashford and a young adult book, The Trials of Apollo, Book One: The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan.

The newest In Death series book by J.D. Robb releases tomorrow. I'm sure I'll read that very soon.

• Kessala M
    7 years ago

Dandy, I don't believe Sheila is referring to an actual Herriot story when a murderer is mentioned. Sheila's using her questions to demonstrate how when you read before falling asleep the next day you have to re-read a portion of the story to get back up to speed. In drowsiness you don't remember facts and story lines.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Herriot series as a girl even though I would wonder how all these events could happen to one man. Then I discovered the stories were fiction. Herriot wrote what the publisher suggested. I felt like I'd been lied to. I gave away all my Herriot books.

Currently reading "The Girls of Atomic City" by Denise Kiernan. The untold story of the women who helped win World War II.

Kessala

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kessala M: WHAT! As an animal lover I've enjoyed Herriot's stories immensely and intensely, so I am thoroughly disheartened to learn from you that they were not true stories !!! Now I must attempt to adjust my thoughts and continue to somehow enjoy his tales for what they are. Sad.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I just finished A Gentleman in Moscow which was wonderful. Very interesting story. I also read Fannie Flagg's The Whole Town's Talking in January and a couple of others during Christmas and right after (John Grisham and David Baldacci's newest and Janet Evanovich). I'm now reading The Girls of Atomic City, a story about the women who worked at Oak Ridge National Lab in TN when it was first getting started. Almost like the 'Hidden Figures' of its day.

• stacey_mb
    7 years ago

I love the James Herriot stories too, and have them on my audiobook rotation. According to Wikipedia, "Contrary to popular belief, Wight's books are only partially
    autobiographical, with many of the stories being only loosely based on
    real events or people. Wight's son, Jim, states that a lot of the
    stories, although set in the 1930s, 1940s or 1950s in the books, were
    actually inspired by cases that Wight attended in the 1960s and 1970s." So only parts are true, but very entertaining nevertheless.

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

In the middle of a sleepless night I began reading "The Walnut Tree" by Charles Todd and was halfway through before I could make myself stop and douse the light. Even though it's a well-detailed war story, it is fascinating, and anyone who is a nurse will also enjoy this novel.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    7 years ago

A couple weeks ago while looking through the library's used book room, I found John Grisham's Sycamore Row. I started reading it Monday and have found it so interesting that I have trouble putting it down. A great read!

I have a set of the James Herriot books that I would never part with. I read them with my daughter when she was a pre-teen. We enjoyed them so much that they are a sweet memory.

• caflowerluver
    7 years ago

Regarding James Herriot books, I didn't know that about him. They were some of my favorite books and TV show.

• Sue_va
    7 years ago

If you like to read something different for a change, I recommend this: "Hope Reborn Of War." Check out Amazon. You will find a picture of the cover and a few words about the story. The author is Nancy Sorrels, a well known local writer, who tells the story of a place known as "The Post." From a rural quietness, a need was uncovered and became, in 1942, the Staunton General Hospital Virginia. This story is almost unbelievable, but no, it happened and at one time my family and I were living there "on the Post" like so many others, because of the times and being dedicated to progress. Reading the book, which has just now been published, brought home so many small yet unforgettable memories. There is also a Documentary DVD by Connie J. Doebele included.

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sweet-betsy - Agree with you about never parting with my Herriot books, and I've decided to force my imagination to continue to enjoy each story as if it were real, and never tell anyone otherwise.

• chessey35
    7 years ago

I'm reading Deborah Cormbie's new one - Garden of Lamentations. I didn't order it, the library is slow getting it out and I figure I'm probably about 50th on the list. Today, I was looking at the Cloud Library (used to be 3M) from the library and there it was and available to borrow - so now I'm happily reading instead of the other stuff I should be doing.

• jkayd_il5
    7 years ago

I am reading Under the Influence by Joyce Maynard. It was on my wish list for my kindle from the library. I'm liking it. After reading all your comments on A Man Called Over I put it on hold at the library. Trouble is I'm #43 of 3 copies so it will be awhile.

• foggyj2
    7 years ago

Half way through, The Girl in Cabin 10. A Man Called Ove was slow for me. I skipped to the last few chapters to get it finished.

• caseynfld
    7 years ago

Just finished "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb - very good.

Thinking of starting "everything, Everything" by Nicola Yoon. It's a young adult novel but I often enjoy those.

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

foggyj2 - Having the same experience with Ove after waiting through 29 readers at our library.

• Kessala M
    7 years ago

Foggy, I felt the same way about A Man Called Ove. Way more irritating than "hilarious". But then I've noticed if a book is described as laugh-out-loud funny I rarely find that to be true. I stopped Ove 1/3rd of the way through. If a pleasure book doesn't grab me quickly I don't waste another minute with it. There are too many books I'll never have time to read much less re-read or slog through it out of a sense of guilt.

Kessala

• cacocobird
    7 years ago

Just finished Garden of Lamentations by Deborah Crombie. Very enjoyable -- I read it in two days. I always enjoy this series.

Next up -- A Gentleman in Moscow.

• foggyj2
    7 years ago

I feel the same, about wasting time reading something that is more of a chore, than enjoyable. I also read OVE... to about half way, then skipped to the last few chapters, just so I could know what his outcome was.

I'm enjoying the Woman in Cabin 10, so far. I'm not sure what's happening, which keeps me interested to find out!

• sleeperblues
    7 years ago

Just finished Nabokov's "Lolita". Truly a disturbing book. It has been praised for it's beautiful prose, especially being as English was not his native tongue. Personally, I thought the writing was bad. Moments of greatness, but otherwise just bad. The book intrigued me enough to watch the 1997 version of the movie on you-tube, and that was very well acted by both Jeremy Irons and Dominique Swain. Next on the list is A Gentleman in Moscow.

• phyllis__mn
    7 years ago

I'm surprised at the negative feelings about A Man Called Ove....I really liked it, but did not like the author's My Grandmother Asked to tell You She's Sorry . The latter had a "teaser" about Britt-Marie, and I think will get that one. I am checking out my TBR stacks and found a couple of good ones, of course!

• outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

I finished The Girls of Atomic City today. Really enjoyed it, though it was a bit of a history lesson at times, which was fine with me. Can't decide what to read next. I've read a lot of historical fiction or history lately, so I may have to switch to something light for a change.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I very much liked A Man Called Ove, too. I read it after Britt-Marie was Here, which I really enjoyed, too. I decided to try My Grandmother Asked me to Tell You She's Sorry and just started it; not far enough in to say yet. But I haven't heard of anyone who liked it. So I'm curious if I will.

I also finished The Girls of Atomic City recently. While I liked learning about the whole issue and thought she did a good job of painting a picture of the secrecy and scope of the project (I had no idea about how it all came to be before the bomb was dropped in Japan), I thought it was a hot mess of confusion to read. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't keep the characters straight; she'd launch into a description regarding one of them and I'd think, "Which one is she?" Then in the next paragraph, she'd reveal that it was a new character, but the first paragraph was written as if we already knew of her. Made me a little crazy. And I guess I wanted it to be more just about the women, what they did, how they felt, etc. and not a science lesson about nuclear fission - but that's just because I have no interest in the science of it all, just the humanity.

• Janie
    7 years ago

I'm finding it interesting how many enjoyed "Ove". I started it and just couldn't get into it, gave it to DS who loved it big time (as did DD). I've just started The Princess Of Burundi by Eriksson - we have Swedish and Norwegian ties and DS found this "winner of the Swedish Crime Academy Award for Best Crime Novel" for me. It has gotten to a much better start for me cause nothing makes me smile more than a good murder :)

• stacey_mb
    7 years ago

I also loved A man called Ove, but didn't get very far with Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami. It was just too abstract and strange for me. I'm about 3/4 into The way we live now by Anthony Trollope. Written in the 1800s, it concerns a wealthy but rough-around-the-edges and bullying man who moves to London. He attracts much admiration because of his wealth and two aristocratic opportunists who are heavy in titles but light in funds wish to marry his daughter. Although most of the upper crust are clamoring to be included in his lavish parties, they snub him and his family regarding personal relationships. Even someone from a "better" family who stays in his home is then considered unacceptable in polite society. He is running for election in the British Parliament and has donated money to two different religious denominations to increase his chances. Now word is slowly filtering in as to how he achieved his wealth - by fraud and outright deceit. It a very large book but a great read.

• sephia_wa
    7 years ago

I'm reading Colson Whitehead's "Underground Railroad" for a book club I belong to. I guess it was on Oprah's book club list. It's just okay.

• caseynfld
    7 years ago

I just finished "Everything, Everything" by Nicola Yoon. A great, quick read, I highly recommend it.

• chisue
    7 years ago

Enjoyed "Ove". Greatly enjoyed and savored "A Gentleman in Moscow".

Recently read and highly recommend "Exposure", a 2016 novel by Helen Dunmore.

I liked the author so much that I'm now *thoroughly depressed* reading "The Lie". It is beautifully written, but unremittingly sad. It's about a young man who has endured not only the trenches of WWI, but the overall waste of his mind and soul because of his impoverished and lower class 'place' in the world.

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

We read 'Ove' last year and we both just loved it. Very well written.

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

After being 29th on the waiting list at our library am very disappointed in "Ove". Had trouble getting into it and don't even know if I'll skip to the end to see what justifies it.

• phyllis__mn
    7 years ago

I read All the Light we Cannot See just before Christmas and consider it one of my all-time favorites. This month I read Joanna Trollope's Best of Friends and Alice Hoffman's Fortunes's Daughter, both good, and am now into Henning Mankell's Treacherous Paradise. Oh, and then there are the books tossed aside that I just could not get into, of course.

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just finished Susanna Kearsley's "Named of the Dragon" which takes place in Wales. Each chapter begins with a short poem or quote by Keats, Alfred, Lord Tennyson and the like. Most enjoyable read; now looking for more by Kearsley. Has anyone read any of her works?

• caseynfld
    7 years ago

Yesterday during the blizzard I read Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Another young adult novel but it was good. I also started The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I loved the Light Between Oceans so much! Very different and thought provoking.

I just finished The Girls of Atomic City. The title gave me so much hope...but what a hot mess of writing that was. The story was intriguing and I learned a lot about the Manhattan Project, but the character development was so poor (even though they were real people, they were very one dimensional) and where was her editor??? One of my scientist friends said some of the science wasn't correct (and there was way too much scientific detail for the average reader, I think). She needed an editor for the writing and and editor for the science, apparently. In my book group, we thought it would have been a much better story if she'd have used all her facts about the women to develop some fictional characters, so she could have rounded out some missing details and made them more readable/interesting.

• stacey_mb
    7 years ago

Since I need another book to read, I searched local bookstores for The woman on the Orient Express. Not one copy is available! No doubt this is because Agatha Christie is the featured playwright for our current drama festival. As part of the celebration, we went to a free screening of Murder on the Orient Express and although we could have watched it at home, it was fun discussing the movie with friends. I was surprised that the movie was better than I remembered it was when I saw it several years ago.

• caseynfld
    7 years ago

I finished "The Light Between Oceans". It was good but I liked the first half better than the second half. Then I read "A Dog's Purpose" which I liked. Just started "At the Water's Edge" by Sara Gruen.

• Lily Spider
    7 years ago

Caseynfld, I read At The Waters Edge. I really enjoyed it!

Anyone read "The Good Girl" by Mary Kubica. I ended up putting it down halfway through.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

Olychick - now that you have read about the Manhattan Project, the follow-up should be to visit Los Alamos. There is a great museum there, plan on several hours to visit.

• dandyrandylou
    Original Author
    7 years ago

casey - I also enjoyed "Everything Everything" because it is different. Now into "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton although I can't recall who recommended it.

• caseynfld
    7 years ago

Well, since my last post I have read the following:

At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen (pretty good)
    Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley (not that great)
    The Alchemist Paulo Coelho (meh)
    The Wonder by Emma Donoghue (good)
    Empire Falls by Richard Russo (good)
    Tapestry of Fortunes by Elizabeth Berg (boring, didn’t finish)

And now I have 2 on the go,

The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells (not grabbing my attention yet)
    The Red House by Mark Haddon (just started)

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I just finished The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver and it was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I adore her writing style; she has such a gift of language and imagery, along with stunning metaphor. Love, love, love her!

Even though she started writing it in the early 2000's and finished in 2009, I think, a lot of the story could have been inspired by today's political scene. The book takes place from the times of the Bolshevik Revolution through the McCarthy era, from Mexico to Asheville NC, with historical references to Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo and Trotsky when he was in exile in Mexico. Fascinating historical fiction.I learned a great deal about those times and places, cultural and historical, which haven't ever really interested me too much.

I can't recommend it more highly if you love beautiful writing.

• User
    7 years ago

I started on a series of books by Linda Barrett. Its one of those "super Romance" But its so good and it continues through 7 books. All great beach books

The House on the Beach
    Pilgrim Cove

Book One

No Ordinary Summer
    Pilgrim Cove
    Book Two

Reluctant Housemates
    Pilgrim Cove
    Book Three

The Daughter He Never Knew
    Pilgrim Cove Book 4

the next set of books are

Her Long Walk Home
    Sea View House
    Book One

Her Picture-Perfect Family
    Sea View House
    Book Two

Her Second-Chance Hero
    Sea View House
    Book Three

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I'm currently about half way through Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer, architect and chief industrial and central planner. He was very tight with hitler. He also was one of the few tried at Nuremberg and not put to death. Instead he spent 20 years writing his memoirs while in prison. Understanding it was written by a man who was clearly a survivor, it does give some interesting insights into what was going on with hitler et al at that time. This is a guilt read. I was assigned parts of the book for a history class in high school and I never did it. It's always bothered me, all these years. So I figure it's high time to shed that burden!

• socks
    7 years ago

Kindred by Octavia Butler. Very good, and Butler's personal story is good as well.