SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
4kids4us

January 2017 - What are you reading?

4kids4us
7 years ago

Happy New Year and good luck to anyone embarking on a new reading challenge.

i just spent the last two weeks getting through The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. I finally finished today. I read one of her other books and enjoyed it, but this one, I believe a NYT bestseller many years ago, was about 200 pages too long for me. Her descriptive writing style makes me long for a visit to the English countryside, but man oh man, get on with the story.

I'm excited to start the New Year with a stack of books and plan to spend the day in my jammies, reading for a good portion of it! I have yet to select what I will read next, but among the books in my stack are: The Green Road by Anne Enright, Addlands by Tom Bullough, Lilac Girls by Martha Kelly and The One Man by Andrew Gross. I am anxiously awaiting A Gentleman in Moscow from the library but I'm pretty far down the waiting list.

What are you reading, have you read, or hope to read soon?

Comments (81)

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Yesterday I read The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. I don't recommend it. It was reminiscent of Girl on a Train and the story was too unbelievable. She has another book, In a Dark, Dark Wood, which I'm willing to read if my library has it.

Today I started Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen. It's fine so far.

• rosesstink
    7 years ago

Having finished the 2016 Popsugar reading challenge, I am looking forward to just reading books without trying to fit them into a category!

I have Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World by Joan Druett and Dispatches From Pluto by Richard Grant on order. I'll probably pick up The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson from the library tomorrow.

Happy reading!

• Related Discussions

January: What are you reading?

Q

Comments (150)
    I guess when you post this far down, the audience is smaller but there are a lot of comments you want to chime in on. Here goes Just finished "What is the What: The Autobiography of Valentino Achek Deng, A Novel" by David Eggers. Blew me away. Spent the entire weekend reading (and have the piles of still-unwashed laundry to prove it) and wrote a letter to my senator upon reaching the end. It's the story of one of the Sudan Lost Boys. Heartbreaking. Go. Find. Read. I finished "1776" on tape in the car. David McCullogh is so fine in print and that voice. So comforting. Very American. It was also thrilling knowing some of the roads on which I commute to work were once the paths these armies marched on that year. Very American? Well, ya gotta love Elmore Leonard, I zoomed through "The Hot Kid." Bank robbers in Depression era Oklahoma. His usual: fun read, great dialogue. Also devoured T.S. Boyle's "Talk, Talk," right up there with "Tortilla Curtain" for the-way-we-live-now look at materalistic America. Great descriptions of scenes we take for granted. Recommend both. I just started "Saturday" by Ian McEwan. He is sly perfection. lulls you in with smooth, delightfully structured prose and leads you right to a thrumming insight. that's about the best way I can describe it, but then that's why I'm a reader not a writer. Anyway, completely thrilling. makes it look so easy,--"why isn't everyone writing like this?" you think--guy's a genius. I can back recommendations for David Lodge and Margaret Atwood. I'd read anything either of them would care to write, including grocery lists. I'm going to recommend "Oryx and Crake" next month for the book club. Very funny and horrifying take on the annihilation of mankind. My nightmares are still haunted by 'pigoons'. Speaking of postapocalyptic novels, I have a hold in at the library for "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, anyone read it? That's my next TBR. How did you like it? My two cents (or more like a shilling) on the best postsurgery book: "The Quincunx." It's like Dickens. A fat novel filled with colorful (and menacing) early Victorian characters but without the philosophical asides. I give copies to anyone scheduled for some rest time. Best for those who've had bunion surgery or the like who need to stay in bed. Once the main character arrives in London, the book is the ultimate can't-put-it-down tome. (I guess that's not so good if you've had shoulder surgery, though!) Will add "Perfume," "The Other Boleyn Sister," "Gathering Blue" and 'Water for Elephants" to the pile thanks to you. Last bit here, a request. How do you italicize book titles for these postings? I'd prefer that to my quotation marks but don't know the right command. CTRL-I on highlighted words doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks, Amy
    ...See More

NEWBIE SEED OFFER FOR JANUARY 2017 ONLY

Q

Comments (32)
    Lizzie, it's fine to offer your seeds to other newbies, but please ask them to reply to you via private message or start your own post. This thread is for newbies to post for newbie seeds, otherwise the thread becomes too long and cluttered for me to work with. Thanks!
    ...See More

2017 January Block Lotto

Q

Comments (35)
    oh Wow!!!! I'm EXCITED! I LOVE those blocks, and blue is my color!! Wooohooo!! I'm really, really happy - thank you ALL so very much!!! oh gosh!! Yay!!
    ...See More

It's January 2021: What are you reading?

Q

Comments (56)
    Eons ago,and almost certainly here, someone introduced me to the Literature Map website. If you type in the name of an author you enjoy, the screen pops up with other authors who write in a similar vein. It hasn't been perfect for recommendations, but it has occasionally introduced me to a new-to-me author that I've loved. https://www.literature-map.com/ I just finished Ann Patchett's The Dutch House and it was terrific. She has a gift for writing family dynamics. The narrative hopped around in time quite a bit, but I felt that by doing so, she added layers to the story as each segment helped to bring the main characters' lives more clearly into focus. It was a really good book, and one that I'd meant to read quite some time ago.
    ...See More
  • sableincal
    7 years ago

Based on Beagle's (and someone else's) mention of Before The Fall, I checked it out on Amazon. It looked to be just my taste for light-ish reading, so ordered it and it arrived today. Will be finishing a biography of Edith Piaf in a few hours, and then will begin BTF. I don't want to know about the ending; will take that in stride!

I do love police thrillers and mysteries, but so often they are just not well-written. Before Piaf I read two Gabriel Allon books (by Daniel Silva). Had read two or three several years ago and enjoyed them. However, these were just not good. And worse, they were boring.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Sableincal,

Have you read any of the Louise Penny mysteries? The situations aren't as intense as how I recall Silvia books to be but there's still action. I distinctly remember exclaiming "No, Jean-Guy!" when reading one book. There's humor, mystery, and charming descriptions of the small village and people in it. I think she's written seven or eight books with the same characters.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Hhireno - Thanks for the recommendation - will trot over to Amazon and see what's available by Penny. I noted on her website that the stories are set in Quebec. I love books that have a strong geographical setting!

Two other female writers that I've enjoyed are Julia Spencer-Fleming, who writes about a small town in the Adirondacks foothills that is filled with good characters. Stars a woman Episcopal priest who'd been an Army helicopter pilot who gets into "situations". Not a big fan of the priest herself - a bit too foolishly impulsive - but the other characters are good and the plots are pretty strong, with lovely descriptions of the area and a strong green theme.

I also enjoyed Kate Wilhelm's books about Barbara Holloway, a defense attorney in Eugene OR. Some of those books are terrifically plotted, with great characters. Especially enjoyed Barbara zinging in on cross-examination. First one or two in the series are rather "meh" though - too much description of rushing rivers and rocks.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I was out with some friends last night and my bff made a point of saying how much she's loved Spill, Simmer, Falter, Wither by Sara Baume. (I'd given it to her for Christmas after reading ~ 20 pages in the B&N café). Her reaction was much like mine.. it's just so touching and beautifully written. "It's a thin book but I've stretched it over weeks because I wanted to savor it. I don't want it to end!"

I'd put it aside when I started reading IQ by Joe Ide. I started out not liking it so much but it did get better. It's a first novel and I think that's clear. The writing style isn't so bad but I found the dialogue sophomoric.. and yet it was kind of a fun read. ETA: this sounds like more of a recommendation than I can really give. It was kind of fun in a dumb way. It's not that great of a mystery and I don't understand the praise for it.. or the comparisons to Sherlock Holmes.

I'll get back to Spill, Simmer, Falter Wither now... a caution but not a spoiler because I haven't finished it (and bff is close to the end but hasn't finished it either). I don't expect a happy ending to this book.

• User
    7 years ago

I finished House of Mirth- at times it really dragged and at times I was really smitten. All in all a very interesting book and especially in context with the time period. I am glad I read it, and now I think I would love to see a movie of it or even read a recap of it.

I think next up will be New of the World (there are a few books with the same name, this one is by Paulette Jiles. My sister's book club read it and she is recommending it heartily. (and--- it's not a huge book! ).

I hope to read it and then still look over the Post Office book I mentioned up thread.

My next book club pick is Kindred by Octavia Butler. (I have never heard of it but apparently very well known and well liked).

• texanjana
    7 years ago

I just finished News of the World by Paulette Jiles. It was a quick read and I thought it was pretty good but not great. I am also still trying to finish My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry. It's been a real slog for me.

• bac717
    7 years ago

I gave up on My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry, but someone in my book club, last night, told me to not give up. We'll see. I definitely liked A Man Called Ove and Britt-Marie was here, so I thought I'd also like My Grandmother, but so far, not so much.

I am currently reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette and see there may be a movie starring Cate Blanchett made from the book.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Am reading Before The Fall, based on an upthread recommendation, and I love this book! Well-written and well-plotted: A private plane goes down into the Atlantic and there are two survivors, an adult man and a four-year old boy. With the boy more or less on his back, the man makes an 8-hour swim through the night and reaches shore. We learn later why he was able to make that swim. From there on the story, told partly in flashbacks, is a whodunit. In its range of emotions and serious questions about existence it reminds me a bit of Bernard Malamud, and in places is like Didion in the way that the writing pulls you along.

• aok27502
    7 years ago

I am reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I'm really enjoying it, but it's taking me forever. It's almost 850 pages. I have it from the library on my Kindle, but that will expire soon, and there is a waiting list. So I went yesterday and got the book off the shelf so I can continue. It's rather like holding the phone book.

• rosesstink
    7 years ago

Finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. Enjoyed it but there were a few times when I thought "Would Lisbeth really do that?"

I'm about 2/3s of the way through Island of the Lost by Joan Druett. A very interesting account of two shipwrecks in sub-antarctica in 1863 and how the two crews went about the business of survival. I am in awe of the stamina, both physical and mental, required to survive such harsh conditions for so many months. Not all survived but that any did is quite amazing.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I just finished reading A Gentleman in Moscow. I ended up liking it far better than initially. In the first hundred pages or so I felt it had a "young adult fiction" quality that was less than satisfying.

However it does start to have more twists and turns and becomes pretty interesting, and one of my favorite parts is the colorful footnotes that explain some of the history, albeit sometimes tongue in cheek.

It was an enjoyable and nicely written book. I would recommend it. Personally though, I would've liked it a good deal more if they took the same story and the same setting and era, but made it less ... lighthearted. That might seem like an odd criticism, but I almost felt as though it was a lost opportunity ... the book is a work of historic fiction, but it was more charming than it was thought-provoking or enlightening.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

I am soon going to start American Pastoral, by Philip Roth.

sableincal, glad to hear you're like Before the Fall. I'll be curious if you like the end or find it a bit of a letdown as I did.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

American Pastoral is a great book, Beagles. I read it as part of my Pulitzer Project. I wondered why you would choose it since it won about 20 years ago, but then I googled and saw there is a film coming out! cool

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I am reading A Gentleman in Moscow, Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, and the latest Louise Penny book A Great Reckoning.

• legomom23
    7 years ago

I've read The Hillbilly Elegy and A Man Called Ove - both thanks to some recommendations here. I enjoyed both. The Hillbilly Elegy spoke to me - I technically live in Appalachia ad recognized some themes through the book that really hit home. I thought it was a fast and interesting read, and I enjoyed his point of view.

A Man Called Ove was charming. He was a great character and was interesting to get to "know".

bac717 - I gave up on My Grandmother as well. I started it months ago before I had heard of Ove, but I didn't get past the first 1/3, I'd say. I still have it on my to be read list, but it better pick up soon.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

Yup, mtn, I'm reading before I watch the movie. I think it releases on Amazon streaming fairly soon (Jan 24) and the DVD comes out in Feb.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

I'm not loving Centennial by James Michener and think I will skim through to the end. It's frustrating to keep hearing the reference "the man in the sky" when referring to a sort of religion of American Indians pre introduction to Christianity. Michener was such a research freak but did no research in that area. He should have gotten together with Vine Deloria who was alive then or someone...

Think I will pick something from suggestions above .

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

Justerrilynn, hang in there. I think Centennial has one of Michener's longest intros, but once you get past the background it will really come to life. I've read all of his books. Centennial and Chesapeake are my favorites. Space was my least favorite but my husband really enjoyed it. We joke with our kids about getting the grandsons started on Michener. Lol. The oldest grandson is 7. His reading level is quite high but maybe not quite Michener level. Years ago we saw a documentary about James Michener and all the research he did for his novels. Incredibly gifted writer. RIP

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Whole Town's Talking by Fannie Flagg. I love her books, and this one has been just as entertaining. It re-visited some old characters from Elmwood Springs, MO in a walk through time. I also finished David Baldacci's newest, always getting caught up in his latest thriller.

I'm glad to know others didn't finish My Grandmother Said to Tell You She's Sorry. I made it through about a third but lost interest. I may pick it back up but don't know. I still haven't read Ove but it's downloaded and I will get to it. Next up for me is Gentleman in Moscow, so thanks to all who have made comments.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

I'm plowing through the latest Flavia de Luce book and goodness, it's taking FOREVER! I love this series, and the heroine, but for some reason the mystery isn't engaging me for this book and the character, dare I say it, is becoming a little annoying.

Not to mention I have the latest Michael Connelly waiting for me; both are library books and Flavia is already almost a week overdue(!). Mr. Connelly's latest is probably gonna be going back a bit late too but darnit I WILL finish with Flavia tonight no matter what :)

And then comes the newest John Grisham which is on the hold shelf at the library. I've really had an embarrassment of reading riches over the past few weeks because my turn for most of my eagerly anticipated and long requested books came up within a week or so.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Beagles - Yes, I'll let you know what I think of the ending of Before The Fall. Have read so much here and on Amazon about its strangeness that I feel sort of prepped for it. I am mainly concerned for JJ!!

• blfenton
    7 years ago

runningplace - don't you hate it when that happens. I have about 6 books right now that I'm trying to get read as they came up off hold at the same time.

I have to admit that sometimes I fell like my overdue fines pay the salary of an assistant librarian. (whispering - just don;t tell my DH).

• Olychick
    7 years ago

blfenton - check your library website...mine allows me to "suspend" holds until I am ready for them. So I place all the books I want on hold (there is almost always a huge list of folks before me), then I watch as I move closer to the top of the list. When I am #1 or #2, if I'm not ready for the book, I suspend the hold. I don't lose my place in the line, I am always #1 to get the book next, but it skips over me until I "unsuspend" the hold. Then I get the next copy of the book as it's returned. I'll bet your library has something similar.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

You're right olychick. That ability is available. I need to remember it. In the past I've used it for holidays but never thought of using it as a way of controlling my holds. Thanks.

• User
    7 years ago

Thank you Olychick- good suggestion. And just to share my view- I rarely do pay overdue fines, but even when I do. I compare the maybe $3 per year ( if that) with what it would cost to buy one book- even on kindle(!) and I feel money well spent.

• 4kids4us
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Olychick, I suspend with my library holds as well, but I suspend them as soon as I put them on hold because sometimes I don't pay attention to where I am in line and suddenly I have a book(s) that I'm. Or ready for. However, the problem with our system is that you have to put in an end date for the suspension, and once you put that in, it does not show up, so I never can tell when my suspensions will end. I usually suspend them for two month and then try to remember to at least once a month change the end date again. One time I forgot, my suspensions expired and I didn't realize it. I got an email saying I had six books waiting for me. I also am able to put holds on digital books but those cant be suspended or renewed.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

I'm about one third of the way into A Gentleman in Moscow. I am thoroughly enjoying it. Do I think it is absolutely riveting? No. I will be interested to hear what the book club has to say. I think they usually like meatier books the best. We tend to either hate them or love them , and different people have different reactions.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

It's interesting to see the reactions of those reading A Gentleman in Moscow. I definitely didn't think it read as typical historical fiction-- but was ok with me. I definitely wouldn't call it riveting either.. but it did draw me back each night. It was "charming" for me. That was enough.

The one thing I really disliked was the ending. Others raved about it but I felt like it was a cop out. A movie ending. Too easy. As if he was just ready to be done with it.

I finished Spring Simmer Falter Wither earlier this week. From Amazon, "This captivating story follows — over the course of four seasons — a misfit man who adopts a misfit dog." It was beautifully written but so hard to read. I took a break from it half way through.. and almost took another before the end. 95% of the dialog is internal.. I loved seeing life through the eyes of the main character-- a broken, neglected, disabled and invisible man. It amazed how he moved past the most catastrophic events and found treasures in the smallest most mundane things. That said it was disturbing to be locked in the head of a man living such a hard (and at times fetid) life.

I have been without a book for a few days. I have quite a few to choose from-- just need to commit to one.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I am now reading Moonglow by Chabon. I give it a "wow". Great writing, some great vocab. Quirky, interesting, memorable. Chabon tells the story of his grandfather, although not exactly ...

from NPR

His latest novel, "Moonglow," may be structured around the sentimental situation of a dying grandfather telling the secrets of his life to his grandson, but these stories, dozens of them chopped and scrambled, are bawdy and moving, violent and very funny. It's as though the unnamed grandfather here is like Scheherazade, holding off death through an extended bout of yakking.

Michael Chabon has said that "Moonglow" was inspired by a week-long visit he paid to his own dying grandfather in Oakland, Calif. in 1989. Given that the unnamed narrator here is also a novelist and that this marathon deathbed scene takes place in Oakland, Calif., we readers are meant to understand that Chabon is tossing together autobiographical truth and the lies of fiction. Indeed, he tells us as much in a prefatory author's note that warns tongue-in-cheek that he's taken liberties with the truth with due abandon.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

I loved all the early write ups about Moonglow.. glad to hear your praise too, Mtn. It will be my next!

• rosesstink
    7 years ago

Island of the Lost mentioned earlier is done. Really liked it.

Currently reading The Turner House by Angela Flournoy. It's okay.....

I think I'm tired of reading about relationships. Perhaps that's the same reason that several people I know read mysteries or SF almost exclusively. They've never been able to give me a good reason for their exclusionary preference but perhaps it is because of this feeling I'm having now. Don't know. But I am going to look into the latest SF a friend recommended.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I just finished A Man Called Ove and was completely charmed by it. Before that, I read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, which I also enjoyed. But I'm tired of reading about old men, lol. Starting my book club selection tonight: The Girls of Atomic City (did I hear about it here?). I'm interested to see if it's a good read.
    4kids, our library has an optional end date for suspensions, but I never put that in. Could you just put in a date a year out and then when you see that you've moved up to 1 or 2, then cancel the suspension?

• lovemrmewey
    7 years ago

With several references to James Michener in these threads, I was reminded of a book that I love. This is 'Sarum' by Edward Rutherfurd which is described as 'an epic novel that traces the entire turbulent course of English history'. He has written several others of the same sort but this is my favorite.

• User
    7 years ago

I haven't really been reading News of The World but picked it up again this morning and hope to make progress this weekend. It started out not at all grabbing me but I did hear it was really good (and a short book) so I am sticking with it and it is getting better.

The Whole Town is Talking-- just came up for me on kindle from the library so really looking forward to that one.

I saw that I am next in line for kindle The Rosie Project so thanks to this forum, I learned I can suspend my hold which I did for this one.

Olychick and any one who hasn't yet read it--you HAVE to read the companion to Harold Fry- The Lovesong of Miss Queenie Hennessy. I adored that book.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Olychick, I have The Girls of Atomic City downloaded, but got sidetracked & I haven't read it yet. After I finish Gentleman in Moscow I think I'll start it next. Oak Ridge TN is not far from us and we've visited there a couple of times. Beautiful, intriguing place, and I think I'm re-interested because of the movie Hidden Figures which is excellent btw.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

The Girls of Atomic City is on my list as well. I haven't downloaded it but there's a lot of excitement and nostalgia (and a little sadness) wrapped up in it for me. One of my dearest professors at college was one of the girls at Atomic City. She was a darling of my small women's college, lived in a small cottage on campus and taught classes if and when she felt up to it. Otherwise she tended her gardens and engaged in wildly interesting chats with anyone who passed by or stopped in for tea. A brilliant woman with so much spunk and charm.

I was lucky enough to take a Science and Technical Writing class with her.. and to this day, her lessons stick with me more than any other.

I am eager to hear what you think of it. I will likely read it in the spring-- as that is the time of year I most associate with our dear Cortelou.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

How interesting, Funkyart! She must have been a delightful woman to have known and been around.

• User
    7 years ago

Finished News of the World- and would have to say I did NOT really like it. The story was a good one, historical fiction, but somehow the writing got so bogged down in details that I did not care about so it was more work than I would care for. But I did finish it.

Now I have The Whole Town is Talking waiting for me on my kindle from the library! Really looking forward to this treat.

• texanjana
    7 years ago

Funky, what a wonderful story about knowing one of the Atomic City girls. I really enjoyed that book.

I just finished Lab Girl and liked it. I would love to know the backstory on her family, though. In some ways her childhood sounded idyllic but in other ways not.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Beagles - Finally finished Before The Fall, am late with this because of the brouhaha around the inauguration, etc. Anyway, I loved this book! I did not know what to expect about the ending. But aside from the fact that it ended abruptly, with details about a certain character put into just a few pages, I was satisfied, including with what happened to that character.

Also really enjoyed his characterizations of everyone involved. He built a true cast of people IMO!

• 4kids4us
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've started listening to audiobooks in the past couple of months. While I prefer to read books, I work for a caterer three times a week and spend 5 hours on those days in a kitchen, alone. I used to listen to music, but one day downloaded a book and realized it was a great way to "read" more books. Last week I finished Chris Cleave's latest novel, Everyone Brave is Forgiven. I loved this novel, which I thought was beautifully written, with very clever use of witty humor in the dialogue. The narration was done very well, and perhaps that led to my enjoyment of the story. The downfall of an audiobook is that it doesn't lend itself to "reading in bed" at the end of the day. I found myself not wanting to stop so would listen to it every time I got in my car as well!

I'm currently reading Letters to the Lost. I'm not sure where I heard about this one but it's just okay. It also takes place in London during WWII but later in the war, and it isn't really about the war at all. It's just okay - about two people who fall in love during the war but one is newly married to a man who doesn't love her. An average book that I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend. A friend recommended The Hired Girl as one of her favorites from last year but I didn't realize it's a YA novel and clearly reads that way. I'm listening to this one as an audiobook but find the narrator a bit annoying. Another one I wouldn't recommend except perhaps to my teenage daughter. I'm anxiously awaiting A Gentleman in Moscow and Hillbilly Elegy from the library. I've quickly moved up the list for A Gentleman (38 on waiting list) but for Hillbilly Elegy I'm 231 on list for the audiobook and 251 for the actual book!

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

Glad you liked it! I think it was the abruptness of the ending that bothered me. I've since read some analysis to see what others thought, and it seems the reviews split between disliking it as I did, and seeing a point in the ending being as it is (I'm trying to be cryptic for those who may still want to read).

• sableincal
    7 years ago

I understand, Beagles. Problem is we can't say anything because of future readers!

The story affected me, though. Am having trouble settling into a new book!

• User
    7 years ago

Am in the middle of The Whole Town's Talking - haven't really had a chance all week to read much. I am loving this book. It is wonderful. Anyone looking for a great read- this is it. As I told someone, I am enjoying it so much I am torn between finishing it and savoring it to make it last. (that's what you call a recommendation!).

• outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

I just finished A Gentleman in Moscow and I really enjoyed it. I was a little surprised at the ending, maybe even a little let down, but the story was entertaining. I will digest this one for a couple of days and then start The Girls of Atomic City.

Sheilaaus, glad you are enjoying The Whole Town's Talking.

• aok27502
    7 years ago

It's been a month, and I'm STILL reading 11/22/63. What a good book! I still have 300 pages to read of my phone book, but we're taking a road trip soon, so I hope DH will drive!

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

Squeaking in here at the tail end to ask, did anyone read The Whistler? It's the newest John Grisham book and I"m about 100 pages in and totally stumped. The writing is wooden, the author seems to have laid out the entire plot already and I cannot for the life of me figure out why I should keep reading! While I'm not a Grisham fanatic, I've enjoyed the books of his that I've read so can someone enlighten me about what happened this time?!