SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calamondindave

Experiment comparing indoor/outdoor citrus during winter in Zone 7b

calamondindave
7 years ago

This is an experiment I'm doing this winter with my calamondins, mandarinquat & satsumas. Last year my brother-in-law kept his kumquat outside all winter (moving it in at night) and it did so well I decided to do the same with some of my trees and compare the results.

I live in NC/Zone 7b. Our winters are mostly mild, but the few cold blasts we get do prevent from planting most citrus in ground.

In past years, I always kept all my citrus indoors during winter. This winter I decided to put some trees outside during daytime, bring them in at night (only if too cold). Most days warm up well here (like today it will be around 70). Some nights I leave them out. I have continued to fertilize these outside trees through the winter, and not the inside ones very much.

I am really impressed how well the daytime outside trees have done compared to ones that have stayed indoors. They have continued to put out new growth, bloom, and overall look healthier and happier. No pest problems either (except digging squirrels). Although its extra work to move the tress in/out so much, the trees obviously do better outside than in, as long as the temps aren't damaging. Really makes me rethink the way I should care for my citrus during the winter.

Anyone else doing the daytime/nightime move? Have you notice any improvement?

Comments (10)