SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Have you ever been given the wrong medicine?

Oakley
7 years ago

I'm allergic to penicillin which began about 12 years ago.

Two weeks ago I woke up with a big infection in my gum below my bottom front teeth. Went to the dentist, the teeth are perfectly fine and so is the immediate gum surrounding them. No warning, just boom!...it appeared overnight.

I was given an antibiotic and I reminded my dentist that I'm allergic to penicillin. The antibiotic didn't wipe out the infection but it's not as bad, but still painful and somewhat swollen.

The dentist gave me a stronger antibiotic yesterday. I've always gone to him and he knows I can't take penicillin. I didn't feel the need to remind him again.

I went to the pharmacy, small town, we all know each other, and they have it documented that I cannot take penicillin. Every time I get a script for an antibiotic they always verbally say out loud that I can't take penicillin.

Last night after my 2nd dose I started severely itching all over. Lo and behold, I took a form of penicillin! DH was watching TV and I went to him and said if I should die during the night it's because I was given the wrong medicine. lol. Hey, I was serious! DH definitely wasn't pleased to hear what happened.

I read that adverse reactions to penicillin can happen weeks after it's taken.

Was it my fault? I read the name of the med and had no idea it was penicillin.

Why didn't the pharmacy catch it?

Comments (42)