SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Facebook exodus?

jojoco
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm seeing quite a few people leaving Facebook recently because they say they need a break from the current political climate. They say they don't want to keep hearing about each side. Too much fighting and rancor.

They're right about the ugliness, but i find the decision to leave to be troubling too. Ignorance isn't bliss--these days change depends on social media--every voice, every share, every like matters. And fb is an incredibly powerful platform--the women's marches were organized through it. It's hard to think of a better way to quickly disseminate information.

I have some friends who support trump and have posted things that are repugnant to me, but I'm not going anywhere. There's too much at stake.

Anyone else seeing a social media exodus?

Comments (64)

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

I've had a few people gripe about political issues-and a lot more are just being quiet-they've not quit FB, just not participating in the political discussions. FB has a lovely little feature called UNFOLLOW. If things get too ugly-you hide that person or unfollow them. No more things to make the blood pressure rise.

I won't be giving it up-I find it far too informational-and a way to educate some people. I know that a lot of my friends who were leaning toward voting for Trump did not vote for him after lively discussions and they're now glad they didn't vote for him.

I have some friends who are posting only those heart tugging memes-pure click bait, or some weird quote or other, and I've hidden all but their most relevant posts-those where they actually post something original. It's all in how you use it. But I do know that most of the younger folks I am FB friends with have all gone to Snap Chat (I have no idea what that is!) or other platforms.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Believe me, I use the "unfollow" button often. But I hold by my position that fb is important chiefly as a tool to organize and disseminate information in real time. Facebook "live" comes to mind. I don't have cable, and I work, so I'm not always able to watch television. But I watched a lot of the hearings via news outlets going live on Facebook.

and no one should ever "like" something just because it is popular or trending. Give it some thought before you cast a thumbs up vote. Or a lot.

• Related Discussions

Do you believe in God?

Q

Comments (459)
    I'm with you Terriks! The OP asked if I believe in God. Well, not in a Biblical God. I do not belong to a church, because I feel that too much weight is given to the writings in a book-be it the Bible, the Torah, the Quoran or any other scriptural writings. And when it's down in writing, it's taken as the law by those who follow it. But I always feel like that law needs some rules to define the intent, and those laws definitely are open to interpretation. Basically, I believe in a spiritual presence. If I were to describe my spirtual beliefs, I'd lean toward Pagan and the worship of Mother Earth. My 'God' is whatever spiritual being(s) that bring me comfort when I'm low or lost. I say a prayer to 'God' but it's not an entity-more like putting my fears, wishes, blessings out to the Universe for the psychic energies to pick up and return as needed. I can say, without a doubt that I do not believe in Jesus Christ. But I won't knock anyone who does! My eldest daughter is an atheist and it does bother me to some extent. She does not believe in an afterlife or a spiritual deity (she refers to the Flying Spaghetti Monster) but I believe with all my heart there is an afterlife. Not Heaven, however, and definitely no Hell. I was raised on the fringes of organized religion. My mother was raised Presbyterian and my fathers family was non-practicing Catholic. We were not pushed in to any particular religion, but my siblings would identify themselves as Christian if asked. I've got no problem singing Hymns or saying the Lords Prayer-to me those bring comfort and that is always good. But on the same token, singing rock songs brings me comfort. I find my soul is refreshed by Nature. Put me by the sea and I am re-energies (those negative ions!) I am utterly entranced by the Cosmos and I believe in evolution. My beliefs do have a science base-but Paganism also has a scientific bent. I won't judge a person on their religion-and I'd ask those who have a different belief than I do to not judge me. I've been told I'll burn in Hell because I don't believe in the Bible. I can't speak of other organized religions, because I live in a very Christian dominated place, so my experiences have been limited by those who've judged me and proclaim to be a Christian. On the other hand, I've known people who proclaim their devotion to Jesus Christ who are the nicest, least judgemental, if somewhat naive in their world views, people I've met.
    ...See More

What do you think of this..........

Q

Comments (51)
    If you had a great childhood, bully for you. Congrats. That you begrudge others for disliking theirs, well, it's wrong. We are, after all, talking about children here. Is it that you want the parents to adopt a lifestyle that suits every child in the family? That hardly seems reasonable. How is it "on the parents"? It isn't in my eyes. Life is life. We have to do what needs to be done, and live the life given to us. Too bad we can't all grow up with silver spoons and doting parents who are kind enough to be strong in guiding them. Sure, it's the objective, but I am pretty sure silver spoon lifestyles are rare. I think what the daughter was after was to voice her opinion (which may not have even been known by the parents) and come to some understanding in being heard for what she felt. I think it's completely callous to say she should just get over it. Why is it wrong for her to feel the way she feels? I really don't get that. I don't hate my parents because I disliked my childhood lifestyle. Anymore than nanny's daughter does. We can dislike portions of what we endured, we have that right. I guess you loved all of your childhood means we all should.
    ...See More

How did you find this place ?

Q

Comments (94)
    I don't post much anymore. But I do lurk. I came to GW back in 1997/8. I was heavily into roses and found GardenWeb searching for info. After roses, I looked around and found the Garden Party. Lots of fun people there. We would be partnered up and did gift exchanges. I still have the 3 bird and flower plates displayed on my hall wall from one of the gift exchanges from my partner. I lady from Ohio. Sorry can't remember her name. I also remember the Beer Garden. You could cut loose there. It was fun. But it got out of hand and the forum was closed down. I remember Spike too. Not the best of people. He had his favorites they could do no wrong. He was petty also. Though I was never sent to Disney, many I knew were. He was rude and mean in the emails he sent to people. He even had a alter ego and would post on the forums as a different person. I never paid to be on the forums. I do remember the lady here that faked her death just to get money. She was something. Along with a few others that thought of themselves and their bf/husbands more then their children and were told so. So they left after a while. You have to take the bad with the good I guess. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
    ...See More

What happened to all the old posts?

Q

Comments (90)
    Hi Vapor - all my pics on my phones were high res. But when you choose some of them to send via email, the phone (the older iOS) would ask you which size you would like the enclosures to be. While the recipient of the email will have the pics in low res, my originals remain high res. So it won't be an issue. Don't know about the new iOS because I haven't upgraded my phone yet.
    ...See More
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

People that believe that the "news" they find on FB is real scare me these days! People need to realize that just because they see some so called news on FB doesn't mean that it's real or has really happened. Think of the news you see on FB as real as The National Enquirer! When did people become so gullible? NO, we don't need to pay attention to what's going on through FACEBOOK! We need to stop listening to facebook as our news source!

For me, using FB is a conundrum, I have very few friends on FB but there are a couple that have been posting tons of anti-Trump garbage that I keep deleting any time it comes up. It is all no more true than a two headed dog faced boy from Mars story from Enquirer! But these people are also very active with dog rescues so I want to keep them active so I don't miss something that may be important. Why can't these people realize their political views are counterproductive to their helping get dogs rescued? If people hide their posts or delete them, it will hurt their efforts to help the dogs! Stupid!

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

I wonder how long it takes for "adults" to stop tantruming about their loss? It really is tiring. I just joined FB and really do not see the upside. I am happy there is a feature to unfollow those who ask to be my "friends". There are plenty of people who think their every thought is print worthy. Add that to the fact that knowing these people I am aware of what is TRUE and what is pretend. SERIOUSLY you said that IN PUBLIC!?! IN PRINT?!?!

I am on due to job/volunteering so I can see what their posts are about....

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

I'm in Canada so literally everyone on my fb feed is terrified and anti-Trump. we really don't want to get caught up in y'alls shitshow, our national perspective is kind of like a kid watching an abusive dad come home, we know we're going to catch hell but we can't really do much about it. So the political chatter is United, not divisive. (Through university I have a couple of dozen American friends on Facebook but they're all pretty left wing as you can imagine for American kids who went to school in Montreal). We're all trying to figure out how to get the government to accept more privately sponsored refugees in the wake of whatever is going on down there. So far we have not had success but a lot of my friends have written theor reps and the prime minister so I hope it bears fruit.

That said Facebook has definitely changed its algorithms for the worse and I see a lot more garbage and less of what I want which is people's personal posts and thoughts. I mentioned before that I have some relatives into alternative medicine. One shared a post the other day that I thought was downright dangerous misinformation which was, "cure diabetes with okra water!" Honestly, what are you thinking. This gal doesn't even have diabetes or know anything about diabetes. I did correct that one as gently as possible, she defended her post, meanwhile a friend with diabetes also said a little more bluntly "I would try this cure, except I'd quickly end up dead." I didn't have it in my heart to be so blunt but I hope that person does a little more research before she shares a miracle cure next time.

I think for media it helps that we have a strong National broadcaster that is committed to at least some quality standard in Reporting and that really cuts down on the fake news. The vast majority of news articles that I see being shared are from our national broadcaster or our two respectable National papers. The national papers are definitely a little bit right wing but nothing like a Murdoch production.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The only adult "tantruming"the loss, is Trump, and the "loss" in this case are the millions of Illegal votes he claims that we're cast in favor of Hillary. Everybody else has moved onto tantruming the measures he is taking now that he is in office. As they should.

The news I get on Facebook is from three sources, the Washington Post, the New York Times, and Npr I balance it out by watching Fox News 3 or 4 times a week only because ethat's where the machines I like are located at my gym.

We both agree, the national Inquirer is not a vetted news source. Is it still even up and running?

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    7 years ago

I had an old FB account that I opened a long time ago but never posted anything. I used it a few times to check up on some friends and could not believe the amount of garbage they posted. I then started getting those alerts that I may want to be "friends" with someone. I deleted my account.

I don't get (or use) "like" buttons. Why do I need to acknowledge everything that I read and agree with? Do people really need to have their egos stroked constantly?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

I'm another non Facebook user, and still get all the news that I need.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I have facebook but do not spend alot of time there. I don't take it too seriously. I'm not on there for the news, etc. but mainly to keep up with peeps I don't see often. I don't know of anyone exiting, but one of my friends mentioned to me that she removed the FB app from her phone and how much time she quit wasting on FB. LOL

• sas95
    7 years ago

I have never been on FB, and go right to the sources (NYT, Washington Post, etc.) for my news.

• cattyles
    7 years ago

I'm still on FB but have unfollowed many. Like jojo and sas, I use it to see the NYT, Washington Post and NPR headlines.

• deegw
    7 years ago

I have noticed a few people posting about facebook free February. My facebook friend total is pretty low but I've still had to unfollow some folks. I get posts from our local newspaper and the NYT and our community "word of mouth" page which is strictly non political. When I first joined FB a few years ago, I followed a few business to get notices about specials and sales but Facebook won't load those posts on my page. I do get ads from similar companies which is annoying (but understandable).

• MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

I'm somewhat active on FB. I enjoy seeing posts and pictures about friends and their families. I feel more connected to good friends from out of state. I learn a lot too. Like how the sweet old lady I befriended in Zumba class is a raging hate filled homophobe and racist.

• bpath
    7 years ago

I don't read my news from Facebook except for local "breaking" news (the police department feed is useful) and I'm making a point not to "like" or share miscellaneous stuff, and blocking more and more. I like my groups, they are a good way to be more involved in the various communities I belong to, and for keeping up with distant, and close, family! I find myself spending less time on it with so many political posts.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

I have found a number of my friends have gone dark (or mostly dark) and others seem to be unable to stop posting. My friends and family are a mix of republicans, democrats, far-left democrats and libertarians. I have either unfriended or unfollowed most of the far right republicans.

Personally, I take days here and there to "unplug" which mostly means staying out of facebook (I rarely completely unplug). A dear friend told me she had to remove FB from her phone because she's felt obsessive since the inauguration. I so rarely use my phone for FB but I can imagine that it would be overwhelming to not have an escape from the newsfeed .. to be constantly bombarded with the absurdity of what Trump is doing (and the response to what he's going).

I did a lunch and learn presentation many years ago on information overload-- among other things, it increases our base stress level. It doesn't have to be BAD news (as we are experiencing now).. just volume of information and data increases the demand on our mental processes-- and whether puppies or tyrants, it sparks emotional response. I am very much simplifying this-- perhaps way too much so-- but *I* know for myself that when I am feeling stressed or jittery, I need to be mindful of what I am letting in. Consciously filtering both topics and sources helps me-- unfortunately, you can't unread a headline that passes through your news feed.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

I proactively left prior to the election and won't be going back. I'm sure good things happen via social media but I tired of the mindless blather and noise.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

The new improved social thing will come along and people will go to that. Something that doesn't follow you closely or collect private information. Most of my friends have fake accounts now. They want to say connected but hate the information gathering by the company.

• User
    7 years ago

Some of us have NEVER joined Facebook and still manage to keep up with our families, friends and what is going in in the world. Believe it or not, it is possible! :)

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

My siblings and I have a chat every day on FB message, other than that I just check to see new pics of my great grand lol.

• deegw
    7 years ago

I don't understand people who judge others for guilty pleasures. You might not step foot in McDonald's but you pretend that your Starbucks frappucino is not a milkshake. You watch Real Housewives or read People magazine or get a weekly mani/pedi or binge watch Netflix or play online games or have 53 types of daylilies in your yard or whatever. Everyone has a guilty pleasure. Even if someone else's guilty pleasure is not your thing, there is no reason to call people out on it.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I'm semi-active on FB. It has its pros and cons. I unfollow folks who are either posting way too much or our views differ but I don't want to lose touch with them. Last week I did unfriend a couple of people whose political statements I found offensive.

I find FB to be a love/hate thing. I don't post without giving it a lot of thought, unless I've had a glass of wine or two. Mostly I post pics of my cats and maybe some sports fan stuff when my teams are killing it.

I totally understand why people leave FB or take a long break. I have considered leaving, but... Sometimes you learn stuff there, gain some insights, esp. into "friends" that wouldn't otherwise be revealed. Just because you're on FB doesn't mean you have to be a prolific poster and/or share all your private details. I don't approve of just being a FB lurker either as one of my IRL friends is.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I deleted my FB account over a year ago (not a terribly easy thing to do - you have to search out info on how to completely disassociate yourself from the site, and not simply deactivate your account) and don't miss it at all. In fact, it annoys me now when I want to see something online and it's only available on FB (as in the case of some smaller business "websites"). By the time I left I had a few hundred "friends", but only a handful were people I really cared anything about keeping up with. I can only imagine what the current climate is like, given the BS that's going on in Washington. I'm sure the same carping back and forth is still going on, but it's surely intensified.

My own aunt unfriended me after the Sandy Hook massacre when I "dared" to post my opinion advocating gun control. I have to say that surprised and saddened me. No explanation - just a swift unfriending, and I haven't had contact with her since. I thought that was pretty juvenile of her, but that's one thing that Facebook did -- allowed me to see the true colors of several folks.

I have an Instagram account, and while there are political things shared there, mostly it's travel, art, and décor photos that I enjoy whenever I go there. It's a very different vibe -- seems much more civilized somehow.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Funny - last night I was just viewing the FB page of a guy who had posted extremely obnoxious comments to a friend of ours, to get some sense of who he is, since neither hubby nor I recognized him. His most recent post was gloating over how many people had unfriended him over his political stance, followed by congratulations from another unfamiliar person who'd cheered his comments on our friend's post ( saying she was unfriending our friend), along w/ some really obnoxious political memes - and several posts about his deceased son. It made me think

I have unfriended nobody. My FB is mainly family & close friends & several public pages. Far away family members share photos & events & that is the biggest reason I'm on it. I'm very diligent about using the "Hide" button for the spammy stuff & advertising: it only takes a second or 2.

It seems, IMPE, that a good number of people who say they are quitting social media tend not to be able to stay away & usually return after a while.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

So many of the judgements I read are based on such a small portion of what social media can be. Instagram isn't my thing. Sure, it's visually stimulating but I haven't figured out/been motivated to get beyond the visual "noise". I prefer facebook in part because I am a member of numerous groups. Use it or don't use it.. but for me it's a powerful way to connect with like-minded people. Especially now, it keeps me up to date on local grassroots gatherings/events-- and I will be attending a lot more events because I KNOW about them a week in advance rather than a day after.

And you know what? I enjoy sharing and reading others' thoughts, experiences, great recipes and book recommendations.. just like we do here.

Yeah, I have hundreds of "friends" also-- some of whom I haven't seen in 30 yrs. I LIKE that hear from people I don't see every day without the need of a more formal or thought-out email. Geez, if people waited for me to send an email, well.. they'd be SOL and I'd have no friends! It makes my day when my friend Tim sends a book or music recommendation he's sure I will love even though I haven't seen him since he moved to Europe 25 yr ago. These things make it easy for me to ignore and pass by the snarks that inevitably appear (just as they do here).

Your social media is as interesting and as civil as you make it. It's your chosen group of "friends" .. it's your filters.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Excellent point from Funkyart. I think a lot of folks do not know how much control they have over who & what they see and/or share on social media platforms. Case in point, the guy's page I just mentioned was completely visible to me - a total stranger.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

Funkyart, I totally agree. My page is only visible (and therefore post-able) to Friends. I have found people I went to high school with who I find very interesting and to be kindred spirits. And a few who I'm diametrically opposed to without much common ground. I participated in the Women's March in my town, and thanks to the organizers' FB page was able to keep current on places, people, etc. that otherwise would have left me in the dark or required endlessly huge emails.

The thing with FB, is you can step away if you need a break. Can't step away? I understand online addictions. :) I spend way, way more time on GW than I do on FB. In many happy cases, I learn something about design, or DIY or things to be cautious about. I also fritter away a lot of time reading zany stuff on HT. FB is actually easier to resist and is better organized.

• suero
    7 years ago

I don't hide posts, but I do use the scroll button on the mouse whenever I see the name of certain posters. I use Facebook to keep up with my far-flung family and my local community.

• mrrogerscardigan
    7 years ago

That's true, Funkyart. I'm fortunate to have a tight group of friends who keep me in the loop regarding events, but I do see the value of FB for that.

Unfollowing has landed me in the doghouse a few times. (That awkward real-life moment when your Unfollowee realizes you've no idea she got a puppy/was arrested/is moving to the Bahamas! Oops.)

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

I curate my page too. I have unfollowed people and follow groups that I think add value to my life.

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

I go through periods of wanting to unplug, too. I dabble in pet rescue and between the sad posts about animals in need, politics, and people who think you should "like" all their posts, I have had about all I can take. I sometimes do go a few days without looking at it. One friend actually asked me recently if I am seeing her pictures because I have never liked any of them or commented on them. I don't comment or like most photos and don't want to feel obligated to like anything.

Speaking of "swift unfriending," I actually swiftly unfriended a cousin when I could no longer take his hateful, vitriolic posts about the LGBT community. He said anyone who disagreed with him was welcome to unfriend him, because he didn't want anyone who supported people living "that lifestyle" in his roster of friends anyway.... so I did and haven't looked back. Now his mother, on the other hand, who is cut from the same cloth but not as outwardly hateful, I haven't unfriended. I just scroll on by.

I do have a fake account that I use more often than my real one for following groups related to my hobbies (sewing, etc.) and anything else I want to see that has nothing to do with pets, politics or friends. I just don't think my FB friends, many of whom are not real friends, need to know my every interest or move.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

I have unfollowed one person, there were others who didn't like POTUS44, but this one was downright offensive. For some who share from sites I don't like, I just block those sites. I'm still on FB a lot, it still connects me to most of my networks (family, roses, officiants, HS classmates, other friends).

• Caroline Hamilton
    7 years ago

I respect everyone's right to their political views. Politics, like religion, is a deep personal conviction for many. I have been conservative my whole life, I do not expect that will change nor do I wish to change other's views. It does not bother me to read vastly different viewpoints than my own in the media and on FB. I actually make it a point to read both conservative and liberal news sites. When I want to really know the truth I read the actual executive orders and statements and then form my own opinions.

As a point I do not post anything political on FB. That being said, in the last week I was chided by a uber liberal friend that I post too many innocuous posts on FB and how dare I live my life as normal when so many are suffering. I ignored her but I will remain friends with her. The only person I have ever considered de friending on FB is a "friend" who constantly posts very anti military and anti police posts. Very radical to the point of calling them rapists and murderers. My husband has been in the military for 35 years, he has been deployed 3 times. It is beyond upsetting to read such things when I have seen the sacrifices our military and their families make and their dedication to this country. I haven't defriended her yet, but I am close.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm so glad I never got into FB! I signed up years ago because I wanted to be able to view the FBs of businesses (who didn't have websites). I filled it out minimally and have never checked my page, let alone curated it.

• miniscule
    7 years ago

I joined FB to follow family postings. I learn a lot this way, and enjoy pictures of the grandkids, friends on vacation, etc. I limit the number of friends, but it has grown to about 40. The biggest issue for me is that some who I don't want to unfriend tend to post too many of these cute feel-good items and I need to scroll by these. They seem to go in jags! I definitely don't rely on social media for news and subscribe to several publications. My political friends share articles and points of interest by email.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I hung in there a long time with several Facebook friends, in spite of their political rantings, shares, and memes. Until I realized that most who were extremely vocal about everyone's right to share their own views were actually only interested in hearing from people who HAD THE SAME VIEWS AS THEIRS. Bye-bye, Local Mail Lady. And I had really liked her in the past. Now I know her too well.

And bye-bye to DH on Facebook, too. Shhhhhh. He doesn't know I unfollowed him. (We have differing political views.)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

FYI, unfriending or unfollowing are not the only options on FB, you can click the little gray 'v' in the upper right of every post & a drop down menu allows you to hide &/or 'see fewer posts like this'.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I am taking a one month vacation from FB, and will go back around the 13th of February, more or less. I got tired of all the spin that was being posted. The Trump supporters certainly found lots of spin to post, and way too many of the Hillary or Bernie supporters think that anyone who voted for Trump is automatically a racist. Got tired of all that. I do want and plan to go back, however. Simply craved the break!

Note: FB has been useful; I have found a cousin I haven't seen since we were 16 years old, and we'd been best buddies then - our lives had a major divergence back then. I've also found other folks from the past. It is also a great way to get news out to a bunch of people at the same time. I'm also in a few groups that are sharing info via FB - my book club is there, and we discuss the upcoming schedules that way. I'm also participating in a meat share that needs FB feedback. Also, a few years ago a friend a state away had a concussion, and when she was in the hospital unconscious, her daughter (who would otherwise have no idea who her friends were) kept us all updated on her condition and progress. Also, absolutely NO relatives live less than 4 hours away from me. A few other cousins have fascinating jobs, and this is where they post about them. So, I have no desire to leave FB for good... I just simply seriously needed the break from the trash as mentioned in my first paragraph.

• Rudebekia
    7 years ago

I'm another who doesn't use FB. I signed up a couple years ago to see what all the furor was about and was immediately turned off. Nothing I want to waste time on.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

I kinda like FB. I am absolutely sick and tired of the political crap and figure it will die down to a dull roar soon. I unfollowed a few news sources since I was seeing the same stories over and over. Most of my friends are of the same mind as me about the current political situation, although a fair number are not. I like keeping up with groups about my community (strict no politics rule) and yard sale sites as well as other interesting groups. I have found friends I thought were long lost, such as three good college friends. I love getting their news. I would much rather hear about wedding plans, babies and what people are doing. I keep up with some Gardenweb friends who no longer post over here. I have had to block a few people who rant on about religion, politics or constantly post stupid things. Oh well. I'm sticking with it. Haven't noticed if my number of friends has decreased.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

" There are plenty of people who think their every thought is print worthy."-yep))

I don't like FB and try to avoid it, now more than ever

i'm using a nickname there so only certain people can figure out who i am. i don't have many friends, and my profile is not public. i spent too many years in discussions, political etc, on big forums, and i'm deadly tired of that, so i try not to participate in discussions, and if i say a sentence i usually regret it.

so even with having such a modest degree of participation, and reading/writing in a very selective way-i find this platform to be extremely overwhelming, and not fitted well for any serious discussions even just because of how it's built..while you're reading someone's link the original post is already at the bottom of the page..i hardly can find my own old post, let alone somebody else's. the thought that somebody might want to comment on something not the same very moment, obviously wasn't the thought behind creating FB. it's very "right now". doesn't exactly promote thoughtfulness or high level of discussion. the only thing it does very well-handles photos. so i keep this account to show family photos, and i come from time to time to check on friends..i have a feeling they're upset with me if i disappear, maybe a wrong one. I know for sure we communicated more, not less, before they talked me into opening the FB account. I think it actually harms relationships-because so little effort needed to be in touch, that you end up calling less, you write less letters...you seemingly know more,communicate more, but actually-no, you don't. to me, it's a surrogate. i realize it can be useful, but i think more is sacrificed than is gained. something essential is lacking, in that model of communication.

i did follow some very interesting prominent people..the problem i can't read only them, i start reading comments..:)

maybe for people who started with FB as social media platform, later than me who spent years on forums beforehand, it feels different, they're eager to participate, share opinions, and get to know others, as i was many years ago.

i'm not eager to share opinions and to get to know new friends..i just want to treasure the ones i've got already. and i don't find FB helpful in that matter, at all

i also become very upset when people who i love and respect or just like and respect say enormous amount of..well insert your own, since i'm finding it hard to find a polite word for that.

i do participate in one small forum, the only one i'm really attached to, and I really try to spare mine and others' feelings by not commenting, and trying to do it in a very reserved way when i do. takes a lot of mental energy lol.

i became much more impatient with ..lets call us humanity,,in the past few years. FB did contribute to that I think.

the fact that i lived in several countries doesn't help. too many topics get to be too sensitive. because they're too close to home so to say-and it appears i have several homes, after all. and every one of them is a mess, right now, in its own unique way.

i think the more i keep my sanity-the more genuinely useful i can be to people.

FB doesn't help me with the sanity issue

sorry for the long ramblings..

• User
    7 years ago

I don't follow my friends on FB (still "friends" but unfollowed them). Once in a while, I'll go directly to their pages to see if they've posted family photos, etc., so I feel more in control of what information I receive from them. They don't seem to notice or care that I don't know the latest in their lives via FB, mainly because I keep in touch with them in real life.

My FB feedback is primarily local business and community news, as well as some media, political and misc. pages that I like. (Lots of good cooking pages.)

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

I've never joined FB or Instagram or Twitter. Don't get it, don't like what I've seen it do to people and relationships and the repercussions of putting too much out there for the world to see. The insanity of following Hollyweird celebs and every move they make. I think the world would be a better place without it and that's really not fair because I'm sure there is some good in these social media outlets, but the bad overshadows the good.

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

I have really begun to think that with all the social media going on these days, we, as a society, are suffering from TMI overload. I feel it was just so much better when we didn't know what kooks those people that are on my friend's list really are! You really get to see the crazy side of people. It also feeds the narcissist in people and has made them believe they are something of a celebrity or a legend in their own minds.

• Michael
    7 years ago

I don't FB because it's a hacking machine. It's not a coincidence that so many people are subjected to identity theft these days.

• User
    7 years ago

Believe it or not, it's entirely possible to be a responsible, intelligent user of social media without following a single celebrity or turning it into a 2-way mirror into one's life. There's also not a minimum time limit in which it must be used. :-)

("Social media is BAD," say those who've racked up thousands of posts in this online discussion forum.)

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

well..smoking is bad, yet i do smoke since i was fifteen. i do find some benefits, since i'm hooked to it. it doesn't make it good. i wouldn't measure something as good or bad just because i happen to do it a lot

i also find forums to be better social media platforms than FB. (even though i left all but one where i know almost everyone personally, after many years of participating). they're smaller(even the huge ones). and they were build to communicate at a slower pace. you can find the discussion more easily. you can re-read it. you can take your time answering. you get to see multi facet angle of people's personalities more since you observe them in different discussions on different topics. in the end, it's easier to see a person in somebody whom you could hardly stand a year or two ago. Facebook lends itself less well to it. You see names, many names if a discussion is heated..real names and all. yet unless you get really interested, go on their page, follow them-you read their thoughts on a very certain matter, and sometimes written very poorly too. which leads to more chance of alienation, than a chance to connect.

maybe i'm a person to whom this feeling of perceiving others as aliens is pretty intolerable. that may well be. we all are different.

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

I wonder how long it takes for "adults" to stop tantruming about their loss? It really is tiring.

Roe v. Wade (1973) Number of posts, by the member that made the above comment, against abortion rights within the past 24 days = 6. Using like standards, I'm confident that all posters here are safely within whining allowance parameters concerning You-Know-Who for the foreseeable need. Carry on.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

I'm confident that all posters here are safely within whining allowance parameters concerning You-Know-Who for the foreseeable need. Carry on.

I'm sorry, a simple 'like' does not do justice. Totally amazing post.

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Can you tell I've now entered the angry phase? lol You would be hard pressed to find any political posts from me, in any of the GW forums, up to a few weeks ago (probably less). And I have been around a while. I'm not in the mood, at this time, to acquiesce to someone inferring that I missed the mythical window for expressing opinions on the topic.