SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

For those with Restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom Disease.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I unfortunately have it too. Recently it's been unbearable at night keeping me awake most of the night. I take magnesium, use magnesium lotion and oil on them, take the Hyland leg cramp pills, pretty much everything over the years. I hesitate to take the prescription medication because I am currently on so many medications now and every added one is an opportunity for reactions. I want to lessen the number.

So I started doing a lot of research during my sleepless nights and found several references where the use of the tens machines were being recommended by doctors and physical therapist. I own a tens machine so I decided to give it a shot. It works very well and it doesn't take long. I would get up when I felt it beginning, attached the leads to both of my lower legs in the thickest part one on each side, both legs, and turn it on. On my machine I had it set on about medium, feeling a good pulsing wave. I did it laid back in my Recliner relaxing for about 15-20 minutes.

I would go back to bed with no recurrence the rest of the night.

Now I am trying a tens treatment just prior to going to bed while I watch TV. Last night I did it for about 30 minutes. I didn't have any symptoms all night.

Tens machines are readily available these days and very easy to use. Some like mine allows you to change the wave patterns and length and type of stimulation burst, constant, modulated. Some are more basic and don't have many settings. You can find them for $30 up.

So you may want to give it a try if you are having the misery of RLS.

This is an example of one very similar to mine

http://www.lgmedsupply.com/tenslg3000kit.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAiMHEBRC034nx2ImB1J0BEiQA-r7ctray4JTjrij_aG0jFvmfU4omuOKZ-cgkh06wvW8-TgoaAk5x8P8HAQ

I have seen some at Walgreens and Walmart also.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio