SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlimommy

Help Picking Hydrangeas for New House Front Porch Border

Tara Kennedy
7 years ago

Hello all! I'm trying to select some amazing Hydrangeas for our new house front porch. We have a fairly large wrapping porch and I'd love to have a large hydrangea line wrapping around it with some boxwoods in the front. I have another area of the home with the Incrediball and Limelights planned but I really want to have the best growers and bloomers up front.

I'm not particular on color but I'd really like to see a lot of blooms and eventually some height from them because we have a few steps up to the covered porch. We should get full sun in the morning and then a good amount of afternoon shade.

Thanks for any tips!

Comments (44)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

Where are you, both zone and general location? In my area, the only fully reliable bloomers are the two species you are already planning to use: Hydrangea arborescens like Incrediball and Hydrangea paniculata like Limelight. For me, the Hydrangea macrophylla and H. serrata (the ones with pink or blue or occasionally white flowers and large leaves that need ample moisture and shade in the afternoons) bloom well some years, but other years have damage from cold unless given shelter, and so don't push out blooms until later in the summer if at all. I imagine you don't want winter-covered shrubs or unblooming plants across the front of your house. If you are in an area where big-leaf/macrophylla hydrangeas grow and bloom well without protection, they are quite lovely. Oak leaf hydrangeas are also gorgeous, but also won't bloom reliably here in really cold winters, though they do in warmer areas.

H. arborescens may not have the height you want since IME they top out around 4' or a tad taller. H. paniculata range in height from about 3 1/2' (Bobo) to 12' or 15'. If you decide to go with H. paniculata, look at season of bloom and fall color. For me, H. paniculata 'Quickfire' is the nicest I've seen with a long bloom season. Rounded lacy, sparkling white flowers appear in late June or early July, and after several weeks of white, they slowly change through a range of pinks in August and from September through frost they are a rich cherry pink. Other folks prefer the denser, larger and more conical flower heads of some of the other varieties; it really is a personal choice. I would look at a lot of photos and then come back here and ask for input on the ones you like.

• Tara Kennedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much! That was so helpful! I'm in NW Indiana so 5a-5b near the lake. I am going to dig into this and try and figure a good plan. I prefer the round blooms to the conical ones. Our landscaper suggested the strawberry vanilla hydrangea but I am not sure how I feel about that cone shape. I'll attach a photo of my front facade as it sits today. The final grade may sneak a bit higher, but I suspect we will have two steps to the porch. I'm not having railing. We are still debating the column/stone size.
  • Related Discussions

new house, new trees, help pick a few more

Q

Comments (31)
    Milehighgirl, thanks for the links. I should have said, but ee planted a small orchard thi spring. We did so will all of our trees purchased from stark bros. nursery. We planted: Apples: stark golden delicious, stark grand gala, red Fuji, goldfish, enterprise, empire, and candycrisp. Cherries: northstar and stark surecrop Peach: intrepid and reliance Plum: bubblegum and starking delicious plum Pear: orient, moonglow, and starking delicious pear I hope we chose ok! Were certainly novices and my father in law has had good luck with his trees purchased from Stark. I'll be asking for pruning help this spring for sure!
    ...See More

Help with picking new front door!

Q

Comments (7)
    Those pictures are so small it was hard to see, I've enlarged them as much as possible and posted them for you. For future reference, there is a link to directions on how to post photos on first page in the Photography forum, you'll find it at the top left hand side of the page. Now in regards to your question. People here are ready and happy to help you, but how can you ask for input on the choices your considering without a photo of your house? Visuals are needed, no one will know which door they like best or be able to suggest a color for it when all they know is you have an older home and that you think it's a ranch. If you want advise, you need to provide the whole picture, door choices as well as where it's going. Please read the directions in the photography forum and post a photo of your house so we can help you. #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9
    ...See More

Help needed to paint old furniture on my old-house front porch

Q

Comments (27)
    Thank you Jane. You have a lovely porch too. I love your willow furniture. You are lucky to have trees to shade it. Ours gets morning sun and can get quite warm very early one. One of these days we want to close in our sleeping porch off the master bedroom with storm type windows all around to make it more of a three season porch. We've not used it in years. Used to go out there in the evenings. I used Windows Paint to the above virtuals. I have an original version of PhotoShop that came with one of those pens (by Bamboo) that a friend gave to me since they already had PhotoShop. I think they run around a hundred dollars or so. I've not looked at them for a couple years now. Both Adobe and Corel have free online trials of their photo editors. I've tried them both and liked different things about each one so I never made up my mind which to buy. Now that I have the Adobe from my friend I should ask for the Corel for Christmas from my hubby.
    ...See More

Help me pick a plant to finish the house border

Q

Comments (7)
    What I first noticed when I looked at this photo was the foundation of your house, personally I would plan a flower bed that helps conceal it a little more. My suggestion would be to plant 2-3 small/medium sized round evergreen bushes under the window, transplant the hostas in front and move the azalea to right-hand corner of the house. Planting some perennial geraniums with the hostas would look great too I think. If expanding the bed and moving stuff around isn't something you're up to (and I wouldn't blame you) I would lean towards a rose bush like you suggested.
    ...See More
  • luis_pr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Pay close attention to the height of the shrubs if planning to put them close-up to or against the house. Many paniculatas, can get quite tall (10' for example) and may not look good against the front walls/windows. But there are more compact paniculatas, like Little Lime, Little Quickfire, Strawberry Sundae, etc.

Some Annabelle-type hydrangeas (the arborescens) now come in several shades of pink so consider those if the shade of pink is ok with you.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

Another thought with something like Strawberry Vanilla is beyond the height of the individual plant and the blossom shape, bloom season, and color, is how stiff the stems are (or aren't.) I decided not to plant SV after seeing some in nurseries and reading about them on this forum. Often the stems are finer textured and don't hold the very large flower heads upright. Here's a search on this forum for Vanilla Strawberry.

I think you will want a relatively low variety of H. paniculata or one of the H. arborescens considering the height of the porch which has to be under 30" in most areas to meet code and not have a railing, so you want your shrubs to be fairly small. As Luis said, look at Bobo and other small types as well as the various forms of H. arborescens, either pink or white.

I might also at least think about having the grass extend right up to the porch (which looks like it will be stunning) and plant the hydrangeas either farther along the house under the gable wall over to the right or farther out into the yard to let the porch shine on its own.

• mmp01
    7 years ago

I have the same setup and made the mistake of planting Endless Summer. Gorgeous while they're in bloom, but it's a short time. If I could do it over (and I may) I would go with Little Limes. I have Limelights in the side yard and they are a beautiful sight with a long bloom time.

• Ed D(Boston)
    7 years ago

Hi Tara, sending a few pictures of my annebelles& incrediballs to give you a idea of the size
    incrediball on left ....Annabelle center between inv1

• Ed D(Boston)
    7 years ago

One more time

• Tara Kennedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ed...so helpful. Those are stunning!!! I fear they may be too big to line my front patio. Here is what our landscaper has proposed. I think we need something smaller like little limes along porch. I don't want to hide it.

From the size the incrediball get I think it's going to be way too dense as proposed. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

If Annabelle and Incrediball are too large, I think Little Lime may be as well. Check out the photos near the end of this thread for an idea of size. I haven't seen photos of mature ones that are smaller than mature H. arborescens. They can be pruned each spring, but they regrow to their former size within the same season.

• Ed D(Boston)
    7 years ago

Tara.. you might look at hydranga Bobo( NH Babs had mentioned) topping out at 3'hx4'w also turns pink late in the season. I bought a couple last yr

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

There are several folks who frequent the perennial forum who have Bobo. Here's a link to a search for threads that include Bobo on the perennial forum. Several have photos, and in one someone asks for comparison of Bobo, Little Lime, and Annabelle.

Another plant you can look at would be H. serrata Tough Stuff. It gets killed back to the ground here each winter, but so far has bloomed reliably for me. It doesn't have early blooms or bloom as long as the H. paniculata or H. arboescens here in my garden. It probably blooms longer for those in warmer areas.

Tara Kennedy thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

Dingo's comments about the burning bush are relevant - it's both invasive according to the Indian DNR and quite large. IME you will be removing seedlings from all over your gardens (as well as providing them to the neighbors and any unmaintained areas within the distance of bird flights.) IMO it's also truly boring most of the year (giant midgreen blob) as well with only the red fall color making it attractive. If you want red autumn color, plant plicatum Viburnums which also have nice spring flowers, or one of the native Viburnums; if you plant more than one cultivar of one of the natives, you have berries for the birds. There are many other nice choices if you ask on the shrub forum for suggestions.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    7 years ago

I have Little Lime, Annabelle and Oakleaf planted 2 years ago. The Annabelle and Oakleaf haven't really done much of anything yet -- but the I love my Little Limes!! Mine at a good 3-4' high after one year. They look great all summer and into the fall. Annabelle gets the uglys in the fall.

• Tara Kennedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You have all been so informative and helpful. We are going to have about 22" between the mulch bed and porch floor when the grade is all finished. I don't mind having some height of the hydrangea come up around the porch floor some. I think that would actually look attractive.

I'm going to look at getting alternatives for that burning bush too. Thanks for the heads up on that!

In terms of the Miss Kim Lilacs...we have quite a bit of height from the grade to windows there so I think they may work. They will be under our kitchen windows so I'm hoping to get the benefit of the amazing scent coming into the house there.

I really love the height and look of these.

Chase Lane · More Info

But I want something that is going to bloom well all season in Zone 5a-5b. I think the way they grow up a bit around the porch here is perfect.

I also like the idea of a little color too. I wish the Endless Summer would be sure winners for our area, but it seems it's not going to be?

Any other recommendations?

Sea Glass House · More Info

These look sort of the same here?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

Little Lime or Bobo will be your best bet for long season bloom.

Tara Kennedy thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

I have one Little Lime, but I've only had to for a year - I like it better than my Bobo. You could always throw some roses in there too!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

NHBabs is right..I live in central IN and endless summers are DUDS for me..Annabelles and various paniculatas work much better but could be too tall so it's Little Lime or Bobo..pics of an Annabelle and a Quick Fire..

• Ed D(Boston)
    7 years ago

Maybe 10 the last 4yrs

Tara... I find my all White Hys have color all season turning to pink late in season ....I agree ES is Very iffy ( some yrs 100 blooms on a plant...the last 4 yrs maybe 10)....the only ES series that flowers every yr is Twist&Shout...dies to ground every yr but come Aug. beauty...a few new Hys Inv Sp 11&incediball blush

TS

7 years ago

Ed..if endless summer can disappoint you you can imagine how it disappoints me..my neighbor went to Boston for a June wedding..she said every house had beautiful hydrangeas blooming..I have a T&S that bloomed last year but it was "naked" at the bottom..hope it fills out this year..I put a garbage bag sleeve on it filled with leaves for the winter '15 - '16..this winter my husband built an enclosure of scrap wood and I filled it with leaves..I'm desperate for hydrangea blooms..

• Ed D(Boston)
    7 years ago

Hi Nichols, as for ES last yr we had April freeze and I don't know of anyone who had flowers (ES) in June....maybe the Cape...I haven't Winter protected my ES in yrs, to big to much work ... thinking of removing all my ES...

7 years ago

Ed..isn't their advertising a BIG lie?..even if the old wood buds died what about blooms on new wood?..they advertise "blooms on new wood" but mine don't..

• Ed D(Boston)
    7 years ago

If we could get Blue Annebelles or Blue Incrediballs it would be a perfect Hydrabgea world ....LOL

7 years ago

if someone could pull that off they would get rich!!

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    7 years ago

I am in SE Mich -- my friend nearby has many ES -- they are duds and when they do bloom -- they do not produce many.

7 years ago

stir fryi..the growers should admit they don't bloom in a zone lower than 7..and give ALL of us a refund..

7 years ago

My ES do okay here surprisingly. I don't winter protect, so I get blooms on new wood only, but they do bloom mid/late summer. Twist and Shout does perform better than the original ES, but I never was sure if it was location related or not. I wouldn't use them as a focal point though!

7 years ago

Dingo..surprising that you have any blooms..are they planted facing east?..seems to be the best location from what I've heard..a fall pic of my Twist and Shout..I protected it over the winter..has a funny shape..the stems didn't leaf out at the bottom..

7 years ago

Yes the original ES are on the E side of the house. I have one growing in a more open bed - it's a tiny one that layered from my original - it blooms well too. My big one had to be moved, so last year was not its best, it's now on the N side of our shed, will see how it does there. T & S is in pretty much full sun, same bed as the tiny ES. That one seems to like the sun!

7 years ago

My T&S gets part sun..been a much better plant than ES..impressive that you have blooming macrophylla hydrangeas in Chicago..

7 years ago

I think I just got lucky lol! Another reliable bloomer is "Nantucket Blue". Don't see it offered a lot, but it's better than ES here for me.

7 years ago

will be on the lookout for Nantucket Blue..have heard Tuff Stuff is also better than ES..almost EVERYTHING is..

• Tara Kennedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh the Nantucket blue look amazing! Do they bloom as well as limelight would around Chicagoland? I LOVE those!
    7 years ago

Tara sadly no they do not bloom as much as Limelight! They are more like ES, but tend to bloom more reliably - I still don't have any old wood that blooms in early summer, so all blooms are on new wood only. And the blooms here are pink, I don't know what the soil is like by you, I'm guessing you get pink blooms too? I wish we could grow those lovely blue hedges like they can on the coasts! Make sure you are linking to the right cultivar 'grenan' - here's a random link I found just googling quickly -

Nantucket Blue 'Grenan'

Tara Kennedy thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • Tara Kennedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dingo...if ONLY we could get them to bloom like they are showing in that link!!! Those Hamptons hedges are stuff dreams are made of. I love the hydrangea hedge, so I'm trying to get it like that even if it has to be white.

Would you suggest doing Bobo, Little limes or Incrediball to try and get that hedge look. Maybe 4' high?

My soil is pretty loamy/sandy since we are near the lake. We have quite a bit of clay in spots on our lot as well. I'm new to growing and gardening with this new house, so I have lots to learn.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has been so responsive and helpful on this thread. IT is much appreciated.

7 years ago

Tara which side of the house are you wanting the hedge? What is the exposure there? Babs and Ed had some nice pics and may be better able to advise you than I can! I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants and rely on the folks here for help! I love that look too, but I think here in the midwest it is tough to achieve with Macs. Maybe try some of the rebloomers in your yard and see how they do for you. There are some threads on good rebloomers - Pistachio, ES, Twist & Shout, Nantucket, Tuff Stuff, Dirr's mac - can't think of the name, I have a tiny one in a crappy spot so can't tell you how it does here really. If it's full sun you may want to start exploring the Paniculatas, they can take the sun better.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

I agree with Dingo about sun exposure. H. arborescens doesn't much like full or western sun, though it wants some sun to bloom really well, so it should be fine in the exposure you described above. H. paniculata in my garden is fine in full day sun, though farther south it benefits from some shade, but with the bright shade involved here, it still should bloom and grow well with morning sun. I have a friend with Bobos in part shade, part sun and they look happy.

One difference between the two is that H. arborscens suckers some, so for my Annabelle, I have to remove suckers once or twice a year (ususally fall and then in spring for the ones I missed) if I don't want it to overtake the surrounding shrubs. I don't know if all H. arborescens are quite as vigorous as Annabelle. H. paniculata doesn't sucker so in my garden is less work. I had an injured knee that made much garden work difficult to impossible for about three years, and here's my Annabelle, unchecked for all that time, but if kept maintained it is a lovely plant.(windowsill sits at 4' to give you height.)

I would look at the summer color and fall color of various H. paniculatas and H. arborescens in your size range along with the shape and density of the flower heads and how upright the branches are. Only you can decide which appeals to you the most. They should all bloom well for you.

• Tara Kennedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I think our front porch is fairly Western facing. But we probably will get quite a bit of afternoon shade due to the height of our house and gables. Here is a satellite image. The front porch is tucked into the bottom there. Note in this photo the porch roof wasn't on.

I'm trying to decide of the Incrediballs or little limes would be better. I like the look of the bobos as well. I'm just hoping to have something that will bloom long and grow into a pretty hedge maxing out around 4' tall or so. While I wish I could have those gorgeous blue nantucket type blues, I would rather have consistent flowers.

The part in front of the garages on the top right is Northwestern and will get more shade it seems. The bottom part of the porch is somewhat south facing.

I don't mind splitting up the varieties, I think my goal is to just get the best plants in place for the lighting.

I would love some further guidance on which hydrangeas should go where? Thank you all!

• coffeemaster
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone, I also am in need of some advice on what type hydrangeas i should put in our newly cut front beds for our house. We get morning sun and then shade. We are located in Maryland. Would also love to hear any advice of any other options if hydrangeas wouldn't

work. Our goal is to add some color and not just shrubs. Thanks!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Are you near to the coast or inland in MD? What direction does the house face, and at what times of day does it get sun during the growing season?

Your photos look like there is quite a variety of sun vs. shade conditions along the front of the porch, which means that a row of all the same kind won’t all grow evenly. For instance, it looks like the left side gets more shade than the right side; is this the case? This seems like a situation where choosing something like three different kinds of shrubs that like different amounts of sun and placing them where they will be happiest might work best even though it won’t have the symmetry that your home perhaps has. Or perhaps the trees can be limbed up a bit to even out the light levels.

Adding a photo from across the street looking head on at the house might help since it would show more of the house and plants causing the shadows.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I would second all of Bab's excellent suggestions! And I would also strongly urge you to remove whatever those scrawny, half dead shrubs are next to the front steps. They are detracting a lot from the appeal of the entry and porch....and won't accent whatever else you decide to plant in your new beds, either.

• coffeemaster
    5 years ago

Thanks Babs, Gardengal! We are inland Maryland near Baltimore. The house is East facing and gets sun up until about 1:30-2pm and then is in shade. The photos were taken at 1pm and the shade is from the county trees along the tree lined street that have grown quite large over the years. They have been limbed up recently which has helped a bit. I agree, we are planning to remove the scrawny shrubs and replace. (suggestions)? We love hydrangeas but are open to something else or a combination that might work better. The original plantings were i think Japanese boxwoods that the builder put in and had eventually died off. Any advice as to what you would put along the walk leading up to the stairs as well? Thanks again for all the suggestions!

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

Your house is so wonderful. I would do a planting of Annabelles or Incredibelles and underplant them with catmint. Easy, hardy and low maintenance planting.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago