SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annegriet

Best Vacation in US?

Annegriet
7 years ago

What's the best vay-cay you've had in the USA?

Comments (58)

• FlamingO in AR
    7 years ago

Beach house on the central Gulf Coast of FL. I've never enjoyed anything more.

Annegriet thanked FlamingO in AR
  • tvq1
    7 years ago

This fall we spent 2 weeks wandering around New Mexico in our motorhome. What a beautiful and interesting area--and this is saying something coming from an Alaskan gal!

We spent a whole week in Santa Fe--it's a lovely town, with wonderful museums, great food and friendly people. Don't miss the Georgia O'Keefe museum--and be sure to watch the short introductory film. And the Farmer's market--oh my!

I think what I really appreciate about New Mexico is the very interesting and distinctive cultural feel. We've traveled extensively world wide--and this is the first area in the US that has felt "exotic" and culturally interesting to me. Now, that's not to say there aren't many wonderful destinations in our great country, but New Mexico just felt special to me.

Other areas of interest in New Mexico include Carlsbad Caverns, Taos and Albuquerque.

I'll also put a good word for a visit to my breathtakingly beautiful state of Alaska. June is the best month to visit, weather wise. I'd suggest flying into Anchorage, spending 3-4 days, then driving north to Denali National Park. South of Anchorage--don't miss Homer and Seward.

Happy Travels!

Annegriet thanked tvq1
  • Related Discussions

Use $200k+ in Equity to Buy Vacation Home? Any other options?

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi Ilover, Our lifelong dream is to own a vacation home. We have approx $200k in equity in our primary residence. We don't' have much $ to buy the second home. We sacrifice property size and storage in our primary home in order to keep the equity (and not use it to upgrade to a larger home)..... so that we can have purchasing power. How does this work? How important to you is your dream of owning a vacation home? Have you considered all the angles around what that would mean to you & your family? All the pros and cons? (There are certainly plenty of both, as with anything, of course!) Is this equity an advantage in buying the 2nd home? Of course! Equity is equity is equity... it is part of yoru net worth, and part of what you are considering converting into an additional asset (the vacation home.) I don't want to jeopardize our primary residence. How do we not do that? You have no way to not do that. Your primary residence is already in a fair amount of risk because you're short of reserves and have transferred your safety funds into accumulations of real estate equity. It sounds to me like you & family MAY benefit from some 'values explorations'... what's REALLY most important to you, and how do you make sure you're getting it (and not sabotaging it) along the way. Luck! Dave Donhoff Leverage Planner
    ...See More

Home from Vacation, now I am ready to have a vacation:)

Q

Comments (8)
    (The following is a message from DH the computer nerd about those that are having trouble with the video on the website) For those that are having trouble loading or watching the video, first let the whole video download before pushing the play button. The second is that you might need the newest version of quicktime. Thank you for all the comments. We left again this morning at 8:20 to go and watch my nephew play baseball an hour away. We then met my mom and 2 of my sisters and 2 nephews at the park and had chicken at the park and let the kids play.The also brought my baby Hayden back to me. My sis had his hair cut ( it was in his eyes and I gave her the okay) he looks like a big boy now. Of course today and tonight he wouldn't let me out if his sight, I sure missed my little baby ( not so little at 25 pounds at 11 months) Rhiannon declared yesterday that she couldn't be 5 until she had a birthday cake. So my mom made an angel food cake and brought it down so Rhiannon could turn 5:) Growing up my grandma always made us an angel food cake for our birthdays. We have continued the tradition with my mom and my kids and nephews. Stacie who went all day today again and still needs to do laundry
    ...See More

Best vacation page

Q

Comments (3)
    Penny, your Sea World sounds cute. Can't remember what I did with mine. But I did a page from Disney, my daughter was 5 and I had 3 pics of her dancing with the pirate dude Mr. Smee from Peter Pan. Well, I hunted all over the place for stuff for that page, finally ended up with cloud paper with the wave paper cut for the bottom, die cuts of pirate ship, treasure chest which I punched little gold metallic dabloons (sp) and had those spilling out of the chest, and a pirate with a parrot on his shoulder. It came out pretty cute. And 13 years later she took another picture with Mr Smee again, geez she must like this guy. Also, did a page with the real large Micky and Minnie die cuts, they are one on each page holding a wide border strip at the bottom and I placed the pics on the border. Could only use 3 pics on each page because the die cuts are so big but it came out really cute.The colors are white, black and red. Pam
    ...See More

Suggestions for lamps to use in FL vacation house?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Lovestoread! How fun to decorate a second home-- and it sounds like you get some good relaxation time too. I have to say, I can't really see two arc lamps in proximity to each other. I guess it could work if they were on the small scale.. did you find any rooms with two on houzz? good luck..
    ...See More
  • outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

DH and I have had a lot. Alaska in late May-early June was great. We have taken several trips to National Parks out west to hike and sight-see. Our favorites have been to Utah and Yellowstone//Grand Tetons. But the hike down into the Grand Canyon several years ago stands out too. We spent over 2 weeks in Oregon in 2015 touring as much of the state as we could cram in, including a weekend at the International Pinot Noir convention in McMinnville.

Annegriet thanked outsideplaying_gw
  • gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Difficult question--never had a trip that disappointed, and they all have been fun. Each trip had their own special moments and locations. I can choose many favorites from different vacations, but not a US vacation that was a standout favorite above all others.

Annegriet thanked gyr_falcon
  • hooked123
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have had many great vacations. My favorite was New Orleans, New York would be #2 and California #3.

New Orleans- I love it because I love to walk around and see street musicians and artists. I love the restaurants and architecture too. I also enjoy the Garden District, and the City Park. The first time we went we spent less then 48 hours and we painted the town!! We did so much in 48 hours- it almost seemed magical to me. The eerie old gas laterns, paired with all the old buildings. I love Frenchmen Street the most. I love getting up at the crack of dawn and heading out by myself and photographing the French Quarter and then surprising my family with fresh Beignets for breakfast.

New York- the MET, Central Park and Broadway Shows!!! It wasn't relaxing at all, more energizing.

California- San Francisco, Monterey Bay and Carmel. Love it and it's so relaxing.

Annegriet thanked hooked123
  • jrb451
    7 years ago

I'm kinda like gyr_falcon in that we've never had a bad vacation. We've enjoyed trips to Chicago and New York where we were on the go all day every day and still didn't do everything on our list, to trips to places like Ocracoke and Sanibel where we didn't have a thing on our list other than kicking back and walking the beach.

Annegriet thanked jrb451
  • nickel_kg
    7 years ago

I like new experiences when vacationing. My favorite format has been: total about 10 days, with the first 3 days in the heart of a big city, the next 3 or 4 days traveling around the wider area (meaning, packing & unpacking at a different hotel each night), and a final 2 or 3 days at another location. Best such trip so far started in a high-rise in Portland Oregon, then up the Columbia River, down the "dry" side of the Cascades (who knew it was so beautiful? I had no clue, totally fell in love), down to Craytor Lake (the most awesome site I have ever seen), back over to the coast, ending with a two-night stay in a cottage on the Pacific beach in northern California.

Funny, we've been retired going on two years and STILL haven't planned anything other than weekend trips. I really need to remedy that!

Annegriet thanked nickel_kg
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Whale watching & swimming w/ wild dolphins (not a touching/petting experience) in the ocean on overnight boat trip, led by a marine biologist, off Oahu, HI.

Less expensive, but great, whale watching in WA state:

https://www.visitsanjuans.com/what-to-do/all-san-juan-islands/whale-watching

Annegriet thanked MDLN
  • fran1523
    7 years ago

Hard to hard to choose just one. Hawaii for sure is fabulous. I'm there now. Any time one can spend in the national parks is well worth it. I love NYC but can't consider it a vacation because I go often. New England states are spectacular in October but then again I'm lucky to live there. I also love Washington DC. Places on my bucket list are Alaska, New Orleans, New Mexico. Almost every state has something unique to offer. In my opinion everyone should drive cross country at least once.

Annegriet thanked fran1523
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I've had a few that were really special. More recently it was seeing yellowstone and the grand tetons. Just incredible

Another one was fly into vegas then drive east to zion and bryce, stopping to see the hoover dam, further east to the glenn canyon dam, monument valley and then return to vegas stopping at the grand canyon through the painted desert.

Hawaii, you can't go wrong...

It's hard for me to recommend New England because I live here, but I imagine if you don't, then there's lots of pretty things to see and fun things to do here. Of course I feel the same way about NYC.

Annegriet thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Annegriet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

New Orleans alone? Any thoughts? I would do a hotel not airbnb I think.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Just home from a week long trip to New Orleans, for a conference. If alone, would stay in a hotel (preferably, one on the trolley line). Have been to NOLA 4 times. Found the historical type bus tours interesting and jazz music good.

Annegriet thanked MDLN
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

Anne- make sure that you stay in the French Quarter. I would be careful about drinking late at night alone. I don't drink so I don't know how safe that would be.

• Annegriet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I am the kind of person who would probably be in her room by 8 or 9 pm. Dinner and back to the room for bath, books, bed. Daytime is when I would be out and about--I am a big walker. I'd like to do museums, monuments, cemeteries, maybe some day trips out. I am not a drinker. I am the type who would have a glass a wine in the hotel maybe. I'm more likely to have an ice cream than a drink. How many days to see NO? Should I rent a car for plantation touring?

• hooked123
    7 years ago

I also must clarify that New Orleans has a dingy seedyness to it. New Orleans isn't for everyone. I personally love it, and feel safe but late at night I have always been with at least another person. Some night in the French Quarter are CRAZY and some are very tame. Mardi Gras season is starting up soon. You really have to be ok with some seedy elements to be ok with New Orleans. That being said, I took my 70 year old very conservative mother in December and she LOVED it. We didn't do Bourbon Street. We shopped, took a history tour, listened to live jazz, went in galleries and ate amazing food.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

The street car can take you to the Garden District. They have shops across from Cafe DuMonde near the French Market that set up tours and pick you up. I loved the history tour. I also loved the day trip to the swamp.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Would not rent a car for fear of getting lost and ending up in a less than desirable location. Seems there are tour buses that will take you most places. I use TripAdvisor for ideas.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60864-Activities-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html

Annegriet thanked MDLN
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

They also have cemetery tours but you have to be careful and ask if the tour enters the cemetery or just stops in front of it. I went on two the first took us in, the second to my traveling companion's dismay did not. My friend really wanted to go in and I felt bad as the tour I had taken previously took us in. Also if you are interested in the cemetery that supposedly has Mary Laveau's ( the voo-doo queen of New Orleans) remains ask if you will be going to that specific cemetery. I recommend that cemetery as many graves have xxx on them as people think it will bring them good luck and sneak in to write the xxx. Also, if you are into architecture let me know as I got a GREAT super inexpensive book and studied the difference between Creole Cottages vs Shotgun homes and how to differentiate when they were built. I set off early each morning to photograph them- that was so much fun for me.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Annegriet thanked MDLN
  • Sammy
    7 years ago

Annie-

You don't need a car when you're IN New Orleans, but if you want to explore plantation country you'll need one. My dad was born & raised in New Orleans, however none of our family lives in the city anymore. When any of us goes to visit, we prefer to stay at The Ritz-Carlton because of its location (it's right on the streetcar line and it's on the very edge of the quarter, so it's pretty quiet yet within walking distance to everything).

Edit: I meant to say Anne, not Annie. Sorry!

Annegriet thanked Sammy
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

They have Plantation tours that pick you up from your hotel. Canal Street has the streetcar line, lot's of hotels on Canal.

• Sammy
    7 years ago

BTW: Try not to go to New Orleans during the summer, which is from June to October--unless you love to sweat buckets!

Annegriet thanked Sammy
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

Sammy that's true! I found April and May to be hot too, and quite smelly in the heat. The French Quarter has a smell at night when it's hot and humid and it isn't a good smell. It's smells like beer mixed with vomit. When we just went in October and December it didn't smell at all.

• Sammy
    7 years ago

Good point about the plantation tour hotel pickups, sabbath7. It's a lot less hassle. (I guess when you're familiar with an area like I am with New Orleans, the thought of taking a bus to sight see seems kind of strange because I always have my car!)

Annegriet thanked Sammy
  • Sammy
    7 years ago

I've also stayed at the Hilton on the river. Great views of the Mississippi on the upper floors, also conveniently located and less expensive than the Ritz-Carlton.

Annegriet thanked Sammy
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

I wondered what it would be like in December and found it to be wonderful. We even got to see a parade- so much fun. My mom loved it. We had to take cabs as she has trouble getting around. She really loved it, she especially liked the history tour, French Market and Jackson Square. Sammy- do you have any favorite restaurants? I like Oceania and Carmo.

• Sammy
    7 years ago

Hot in March?!?! Oh man, you must be from up north, sabbath7! ;)

Actually, I grew up in the north so I feel ya. But I've lived in the South for over 20 years now, and wonder how I ever survived sub-zero temperatures when I'm FREEZING if the temps are in the 40s!!

Annegriet thanked Sammy
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

Our best trips have been going to National Parks and camping in some. I enjoy scenic vistas.

One memorable trip was a color tour of Vermont and New Hampshire in early October. The trees were gorgeous and we photographed many covered bridges.

Later trips were genealogy related chasing our ancestors. The best trips were ones where discoveries were made.

Annegriet thanked jemdandy
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

Sammy- lol! I was sweating in March hahaha. I was REALLY sweating in May. My son and I planned indoor activities from 10am until 6pm lol. Such a great city. I really want to rent a bike, and bike from Esplanade to the park. I think that would be a lot of fun.

• Sammy
    7 years ago

My favorite restaurants are the ones my dad frequented growing up, Antoine's and Commander's Palace. Tujague's is great little place, too. I do highly recommend doing breakfast at Brennan's, though--at least once--complete with mimosas and Bananas Foster (who says you can't have dessert after breakfast?) Other breakfast/brunch places I've liked are Mother's and The Court of Two Sisters.

Annegriet thanked Sammy
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

It's a wonderful city! I would enjoy a few days alone in New Orleans. I love spending time by myself. I hope Anne has a great vacation wherever she goes. Anne- there is a historical home I toured on Royal Street called the Gallier House that is really enjoyable if you like history. Royal Street is wonderful with lot's of shops and galleries.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

When Amiee, my twenty year old daughter was 9 we went to children's hospital Boston for the 1'st time..we instantly fell in love. Hubs and I walked everywhere pushing a wheelchair LOL. Once we parked our car at the hotel we never seen it again for a week, no way we were driving in Boston. Love Boston.

We don't get to typically vacation, so no real traveling for us. we did go to Disney Orlando twice, first was Amiees Make-A-Wish trip..LOVED LOVED LOVED Disney..than again three years later after saving and scrimping again LOVED Disney. How I would love to get Amie back there again. LOL. I am trying to plan a visit it to NYC this summer as I have to take Amiee to Boston anyway. We've never been there, Make A Wish told me to let them know when and they can help plan something special perhaps a meet and greet with cast members after a show. I've always wanted to walk the streets of NYC. I also want to take the boys camping this summer, not too far, a few hours and stay in a little log cabin. *sigh* iisn't it fun to dream.

• Annegriet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How about Alaska? Who's been there? Did you cruise? Cruise and land tour? You guys are fascinating. So much traveling!

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

I had to chuckle reading other members' favorite vacations, because I began to realize I don't really care for any city destinations. I have zero interest in seeing New Orleans or NYC. Boston was interesting--once. Even with San Francisco, and enjoying many things within the city, my favorite part of the stay was the coast drive to Half Moon Bay. A luau in Hawaii would bore me to tears. I'd rather stay home than be forced to cruise. I must not be a good tourist.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

We went to AK last summer. We did one week land tour and one week cruise. Be sure to go end of May into early June for best weather. We had a lot of rain. Lots of wilderness, nice place to visit, but never want to live there.

Prince William Sound

• Chi
    7 years ago

Loved Alaska! I also liked New Orleans, but my advice is to find a hotel room that isn't near an elevator! We were woken up at all hours of the night by loud partiers who couldn't keep their voices down as they took the elevator and walked to their rooms, usually 2 am - 3 am. It was also August and I had a really hard time walking. I just wasn't used to that kind of heat and humidity.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I had a pre-Katrina combo business/pleasure trip to New Orleans and I didn't like it. Too much of the city (French Quarter included) seemed seedy and rundown (not just old but decrepit) to me. The two very highly renowned restaurants I had a chance to eat at were so-so at best, maybe less. The famous Cafe du Monde was crowded. We waited to have the full experience of its coffee and beignets, it wasn't worth the wait.

The weather was uncomfortable (hot and muggy in early fall) and there was an encephalitis epidemic on. The streets seemed dangerous at night, even in the more highly trafficked areas. At the time, the murder rate in the city was quite high and it's higher now. We took several tours, one guided, one on our own, and failed to find anything really worth seeing.

To each their own taste, but I'll never go back. The city and the area it's in aren't to my liking.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

Chi- I think I have stayed in the same room in the same hotel! New Orleans isn't for everyone. City vacations aren't for everyone either. I am glad that there are different opinions, sometimes I like things that other people don't like and that's ok, that's what makes us all unique. I like all vacations too, give me a beach or a city or the mountains- it's all good. My children are 18 and 22 and they enjoy going on city vacations the most at this time in their lives and I do too, but I won't pass up the beach either :).

• User
    7 years ago

what a great thread---- I have never been too interested in New Orleans but now I think I am entertaining it. DH has been there a LONG time ago for business....

for us, we are in the northeast and have enjoyed several road trips- Asheville NC is a great place- as well as one trip we did driving through Virginia (Charlottesville- --Monticello etc and then Roanoke) onto Tennessee. Drove from Knoxville to Nashville to Memphis. ADORED Nashville and Memphis. Editing to add, that Savannah was delightful as was Charleston.

Those were manageable drives in that we maybe drove 4 or 5 hours and then stayed in that location at least 2 nights.

I really do think I would like to see the National PArks out west but thought of the drive between them seems a bit too beyond my tolerance. I have been to Phoenix, would love to see Sedona....thinking about even taking some tour that might do this all very efficiently . I am working so I don't have unlimited time to spend driving).

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

I love many places. Big Sur, Yosemite, Orange Beach, AL, Pensacola, FL, STVI... from the mountains to the oceans. We have a great land!

Well, when you live in Hawai'i, it's awesome. VERY expensive. Almost as good--Central CA coast.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

In order:

Sedona

Outer Banks of NC

Sandestin, FL

Marco Island, FL

I'm a city person, so I do enjoy Boston, NYC, New Orleans, Chicago, and San Francisco.

• phoggie
    7 years ago

I am thankful that I have been to all 50 states and high-lights of each state. There is so much raw beauty in this land of ours. I loved Alaska...we flew to Anchorage, rented a 4x4 vehicle and toured must of the state..went deep-sea fishing, private small plane ride over mountain on a picture perfect day...day cruises...train ride...stayed with the natives in bread and breakfasts, etc...a trip I would love to take again.

I am a "nature" person and a day or two in a big city is enough for me. I loved Glacier National Park, Canadian Rockies, Tetons, Yellowstone, a Grand Canyon, NE states for fall foliage, etc. Hawaii was pretty and loved the flowers, but not a place that I am really anxious to go back to...I do not like long plane rides. Of course, my grands loved the Disney Parks but did it for them, not me.

But I will say to travel while you can...I no longer have my health or hubby, so content to just stay where I am now planted.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

OT: Diane, I am thinking about a trip to Sedona. What were the highlights?

• susanzone5 (NY)
    7 years ago

Rafting the entire Grand Canyon. Like being on another planet.

Motorized huge raft, safe from capsizing yet incredibly exciting. This is like no other trip on earth. All women trip, ages 50 to 75.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

Some of the less common vacations that I've enjoyed: a windjammer cruise in Maine, hunting for gemstones in North Carolina, hiking on the Pacific Crest trail, bike camping down the California coast from San Luis Obispo to LA, following the Tour of California pro bike race from town to town.

I used to live in San Diego and many nice short trips to other parts of the state were lovely -- Yosemite is a must see, the almond orchards in bloom in the central valley, Hearst Castle and Big Sur (rented a cabin there one Thanksgiving). but there is so much to do and enjoy in San Diego. Just 2 years ago I took a break from winter and job stress, flew there, stayed in a hotel just a moderate walk from Miramar Lake and spent 4 days just walking around the lake, local neighborhoods and canyons soaking up the sun -- the air just feels so good out there. I just stay away from LA (I'm not much of a beach person, either)

My daughter (age 14) and I really enjoyed our trip to Washington DC, including a stop at Antietam battlefield. Such an experience to be in the visitor's center, looking at Brady's photos of the battlefield the day after with death and destruction everywhere, then look out the window to see the same view, same buildings still standing.

We also enjoyed exploring the area around Flagstaff AZ and the Navajo nation.

I enjoyed NOLA when I was there pre-Katrina. The first time, I stayed at a hotel right on the trolley line (Hampton Inn, I think). Believe I was there in May -- the weather was good, went to a touristy place that had good food and dancing (and folks to show you how to dance to the music!), among other good places to eat and see. The downside was that when I was walking through the Garden district, a police officer stopped me and told me to never walk alone in the city, anywhere, even in broad daylight (as it was at that moment).

The second time I was only there for 2 1/2 days and pretty busy with a conference so didn't get out as much - but I do remember that they'd recently had one of their flooding episodes and the place was pretty smelly.

No, I can't pick a favorite.

• veggiegardnr
    7 years ago

I think my favorite vacation was a cruise to Alaska. The scenery was breathtakingly beautiful. We took a one-way cruise (you see more vs the round-trip cruises). I also love Yosemite and Yellowstone and I'd give them two thumbs up. Disneyland (and surrounding attractions/areas) is always a fun vacation. :) Hawaii...I like it there, but don't enjoy the humidity. I've been to Oahu (too built up for me) and Maui (beautiful).

Someone mentioned Asheville, NC. We were there a few years ago, so I could attend some continuing education courses. It is beautiful and we enjoyed seeing the Biltmore estate, but, meh...we've enjoyed other places more.

So far as New Orleans, we went there, pre-Katrina, so I could present at a conference. I don't know if the city has changed much since that time, but I did not enjoy the city or the weather when we went. We were there at the end of October (over Halloween) and a few days into November. It was unpleasantly humid. Those trolleys (pictures by a different poster) were simply miserable. Imagine awful humidity, rain, the trolley drivers shutting the doors (windows shut too) and so many people packed like sardines into those things that people were basically sitting in your lap (if you were lucky enough to get a seat). We stayed two nights in the French Quarter (which we felt was run down) before we decided to go somewhere nicer and then stayed multiple nights in the garden section. The food was overall disappointing (plus I got food poisoning). There were people (including children) begging everywhere. Children were even out on the streets at night, in the French Quarter, asking for money. The timeshare sales people were also everywhere and they were really bothersome. There was more trash piled up than I'd ever seen anywhere (except a landfill) in the French Quarter on the morning after Halloween. It definitely did not seem like a safe place for a woman to walk alone. I was comfortable walking with my husband during the day, but not so much at night. We took a swamp tour, which was probably our best experience there. I wouldn't go there again. I know some people love it there, but it really wasn't our cup of tea.

Washington DC...There's so much to see there. The museums are simply amazing. I'll always remember seeing the 4th of July fireworks from the steps of the Lincoln memorial. Lol, but I'll also never forget the thunderstorm which drove us and everyone else who could fit to take shelter inside the Lincoln memorial. Plus, the heat and humidity are permanently etched into every memory I have of that trip. I'd recommend going there, but definitely not in the summer. :)

• Hareball
    7 years ago

Didn't get to read through all of them but I say:

NEW YORK!!! :) I love New York :D

Lake Tahoe is also beautiful and full. Kind of a mix of outdoors and Vegas with the casinos. :)

• chisue
    7 years ago

This topic is too broad The US is HUGE and filled with wonders.

At a wedding in Santa Rosa, CA we enjoyed chatting with relatives of the groom. They'd arrived NYC from their native Holland, then *driven* across much of the US to San Francisco. They were 'spaced' out.

• outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

Annegriet, we also did a week of cruising (Vancouver to Seward), then a week on land. I arranged all the land part so we could do what we wanted. We rented a car at the Seward Port, spent 3 days based in Anchorage and drove to several places within a days drive of there, then went to Denali for 4 days and came back to Anchorage and flew home from there. It rained lightly one night/early morning on our cruise. We went in late May (their dry month) to early June.