SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Suggestions for lamps to use in FL vacation house?

loves2read
11 years ago

I am considering buying arc lamps to use in main tv room of vacation house we bought this spring...

it has seating (couch, two scandanavian-type recliners w/separate footstools) and two nesting end tables, with console for the flatscreen ...

the flooring is laminate--darker Brazilian cherry with some yellow tones

the couch is 3 cushion, loose-back, yellow toile--kind of cottage-look...

There is not much room on top of the end tables for lamps--and we read--so lamps would need to be useable--not just decorative--and taller...so I am thinking that an arc lamp or standing lamp would be best choice...

the wall the couch is on is not long so tables + couch don't leave much extra space--the lamp bases would likely have to go under the tables

Is there rule of thumb about size of lamp to size of room or space it would fit in? Proportion to height of furniture? How much clearance to allow people to get up and down under the lamp's light?

My flaw is that I like stuff probably too matchy-matchy--I would likely want two of same style at either end of the couch

but arc lamps can be really noticible--focal pieces--so don't want to get something too obtrusive...

Ideally II would like to be able to turn the lamp in its location and use as reading light when we are in recliners if we want to read there..and so I don't think a simple floor lamp--even with a moveable light--would work as well as an arc lamp...

The metal finishes in that room are dark--small ORB pieces on the flatscreen console, black iron on the end tables...

but there are stainless steel appliances and nickel in kitchen/breakfast area just across from this tv room.

I am going to check the Houzz site for photos--most advertising shots are of very contemporary spaces with minimal furniture so don't really give me similar room design...

but appreciate any suggestions...

Comment (1)