SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Tell me about cooking in cast iron

I bought a Lodge cast iron skillet a while back and have been trying to cook various food items in it. The biggest problem is stuff sticking to the pan, especially when I'm done cooking. I followed the manufacturer's directions for pre-seasoning and cleaning, but there's no way just plain water and elbow grease was able to clean it.

Tonight, I sauteed some Corvina and onions in the pan. When I was done cooking and the pan was still hot, I used paper towel to clean it - no good, lots of organic matter stayed on the bottom of the pan. So, once again, I washed it with soap and hot water to get it clean. Tomorrow, I'll re-season it again.

Previously, I cooked some burgers in it, sauteed potatoes another time, and cooked sausage in it. Each time the cleaning process required the usual soap and hot water and re-seasoning the following day. This seems to be a bit too much work for the same results I can get in a standard non-stick skillet.

What am I doing wrong???

Comments (39)

• plllog
    7 years ago

You need to build up a good layer of seasoning that won't wash off with one application of soap and water. Quite awhile back someone who knew the science said that it's a lot easier to get a better season with animal fat. Also, thin layers is what you need. Thick doesn't polymerize correctly. So, maybe while you're making a slow roast or braise so have the oven on anyway, wipe on a thin layer of butter or other animal fat, heat, cool, repeat. Don't stint. Do it at least three times. Then do it again another day. Then start using it for things that don't require non-stick for awhile, so a quick washup without scrubbing will do the trick. Once you can feel the smooth loveliness of the seasoned surface, go ahead and cook anything else.

Do keep in mind, however, that seasoned cast iron is non-stick the way enamelled cast iron is. It isn't like those pans on TV that repel food with chemicals.

fawnridge (Ricky) thanked plllog
  • Related Discussions

Bluestar--All that cast iron retaining heat during summer cooking

Q

Comments (17)
    I would disagree with applnut on the length of time it takes for the bowls to cool down. I have not measured it yet on my 36" 6 burner BS range top, but I know for sure it is not hours to the point where I can safely touch them. I will try to remember to get a better idea in the near future and post back. I will agree with applnut on the Wolf oven though, I have found that if you close the door after cooking and leave it closed the interior well remain very hot for several hours. I have personal experience with our L-Series 30" single wall oven and doing that shortly after we first got it late last year/early this year. We had cooked something, we were new to the oven and we were wandering around the new kitchen so the door on the oven got fully shut. We went and watched some TV and came back at least 2 hours later. I opened it up to put a rack back in it and it had to be over 250F still, it was crazy and it was OFF for sure. Phil
    ...See More

who makes a sm. cast iron grill pan-cooking for 2 only

Q

Comments (7)
    Elenal, glad you're enjoying it. Happy to have helped, and sweet of you to let me know that! If you season it just like raw cast iron it will build up a patina and release much easier. Even though it's a matte enamel it will still take a seasoning, which makes it easier to clean. Happy cooking!
    ...See More

cooking with cast iron

Q

Comments (83)
    Here's how I season my large Jambalaya pots (AKA wash kettles, gypsy pots, hog pots).......some as large as 30 gallons. Clean the interior with Bar Keeper's Friend followed by a second water washing with Liquid detergent then a good rinsing. DO NOT skip this important step. Then warm your pot over an outdoor burner using a small flame. Then intent is to "warm" your pot on the bottom and sides and completely dry it. Allow your pot to slowly get HOT. Put a little lard (or Crisco shortening) in the pot and when it is melted.....CAREFULLY smear it completely around the pot....both inside and outside......using a wad of paper towels. Wipe off all excess lard....no puddles allowed. You only want a "thin" coating of lard. THIN is important. Then using a PROPANE torch heat the pot "evenly" and completely around it. After it gets hot all over....start working the torch in smaller areas...heating that "small area" to the smoking point of the lard. As you do this, you will see it turn black. Don't heat any longer after it turns black....move your torch to another adjacent area and repeat. Continue to keep your pot hot by heating completely around it with your torch....then focus on a smaller area again. Do not let your pot overheat in any one area to the point of where the seasoning flakes (or burns) off. It is important that you do not burn off the seasoning that you just laid down. The more you do this....the better the seasoning layers will develop. FYI, on a very large pot I use the kind of propane torch that they sell at Harbor Freight for de-icing driveway or for burning grass. For smaller pots I use a smaller propane soldering torch. To prevent future rust in storage and to help further develop its good seasoning layer. Coat the interior and exterior of your pot lightly with some melted lard (purchased stuff...not bacon fat). NEVER EVER coat your pot with regular cooking oil as IT WILL eventually get sticky, gummy, and go rancid. There is nothing worst than that rancid taste in your cooked food. You can prevent this from ever happening by simply using either Crisco shortening or purchased Lard for coating your pot between use. ......grapeseed oil is highly recommended for indoor oven seasoning (less smoking). Best of luck to you in your outdoor cooking adventures. Dan Semper Fi-cus
    ...See More

Cast Iron Cabinet Hardware-Tell me about it

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Caiquemom - We have cast iron hardware - a mix of vintage and hardware we bought from Whitechapel Hardware. The Whitechapel is not lacquered (and a lot more expenesive than House of Antique Hardware! :-( I did get samples from House of Antique Hardware and found them to be super nice and easy to deal with. So, although I can't comment on the finish, I was impressed with my brief experience with them. We do love our cast iron hardware! HTH, Eliz
    ...See More
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I agree with plllog - proper (thorough) seasoning takes time. But once there, sticking is really a non-issue.

Just a note but every time you scrub it clean with soap and water you are removing any seasoning that might have happened and you need to start over. I use only hot water and sometimes a ScotchBrite copper scrubby, never any soap. And real cast iron aficionados swear by using just salt - no water - to clean their pans.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If I've cooked something that left a residue on a cast iron pan, I scrub it w/ very hot water & a stiff brush, then dry thoroughly (of course, I wait for the pan to cool off a bit before putting water in it) & once dry rub a bit of olive oil into it. If frying in oil & there's no food residue, I wipe it out w/ paper towels. If frying something pungent like onions or fish, I rinse briefly w/ very hot water before wiping dry.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

If I had a new cast iron pan, the first thing I would do is cook bacon in it (the fatty kind, not turkey bacon). In fact, I would probably do that the first couple of times using it. I would also buy a set of these Lodge cast iron scrapers. I use the scrapers on my cast iron, on my wok, to scrape any dried things off the floor, when cleaning the cooktop, etc.

• e p
    7 years ago

I agree with no soap and some patience. When you season you need to get the pan really, really hot and let it stay that way - smoking for a good amount of time. I try to not really wash mine as much as possible - a rinse out, scrape off any bits that may have stuck and then put it back on the stove with some oil in it until it smokes and absorbs most of that oil. Wipe it out with with a paper towel and done. I avoid ever cooking anything acidic in them too - no tomatoes or vinegar. Cooking pancakes in them gets them into nice condition quickly. I don't know about the Lodge ones. I have two, but they are both, I think vintage. One from an Amish flea market and the other from a second hand store.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

The new ones are not like the old smooth a silk cast iron. They will never get that good a surface.
    Try salt and a dry paper towl to scrub with....then maybe a quiick rinse.

• plllog
    7 years ago

Soap will remove grease, but not properly polymerized seasoning. Cooking acid, in small quantities for short times, won't damage the seasoning either, once it's really built up and set, though it will, eventually, cut through it if you're not careful. That is, it's okay to put tomatoes in your omelette, but if you're making a simmered tomato sauce, use something else.

When it's completely clean and dry, the surface shouldn't be smeary or tacky. If it is either smeary or tacky, and you haven't just wiped but actually cleaned it, it isn't seasoned correctly. You need thinner layers repeatedly. And you need to clean off or burn off the greasy layer first. Some people have trouble getting a good season because the grease builds up and never polymerizes.

OTOH, abrasion will remove seasoning. Plastic, plant fiber or salt, used gently on a hard seasoned pan, can remove gunk without a lot of damage to the seasoning, while metal may scratch it. If it's old and well seasoned enough, it'll only damage the top layer, however. A good habit to be in, after every washing, is to wipe on a drop of oil and set it on a warm burner until all trace of tackiness is gone. Don't forget about it and let the pan burn! If you do that first, then the rest of the dishes, it should be done by the time you finish. Leave the hood on too, as a reminder. That way you're reseasoning and repairing any damage.

It's true that the current metallurgy isn't as good as old, but you can still get a decent finish.

• annie1992
    7 years ago

I also use soap and hot water to wash my nicely seasoned old cast iron.

The best seasoning I've found is to use the pan to deep fry something. My dutch oven needs reseasoning? I wash it well and then I make french fries or doughnuts. Do that a couple of times and you get a nice seasoning.

My old Griswold has a surface that rivals any non-stick I've used, an egg will slide around in the pan while cooking.

It does take time and more than one seasoning to get a good surface. My old "no name" skillet was received as a wedding gift in 1974 when I married my first husband. My Wagner and Griswold stuff is older than than and I have one old "chicken fryer" that was my Grandmother's. I'll give it to my girls and grandchildren when the time comes and I have no doubt that they will prove valuable additions to their kitchens for generations to come.

Annie

• User
    7 years ago

I have 2 very old small skillets that were my Grandma's and one fairly newer one, larger. Here's the deal - try to get one that's old. I had bought a new one (Lodge) and never could get it right. The larger one that I now have is actually a Le Creuset cast iron that was originally bought with the non-stick surface. Of course, just like any other, it gradually began to wear out (the inside). I was livid since this piece was expensive. So my hubby said, instead of tossing it let me take it to a machine shop and see if they can sand-blast the interior and get all that non-stick stuff out and then let's see if we can get it to work. He brought it back home, I seasoned it well, and now it's just as good as the old stuff. And it has a very tight, slick surface, unlike the Lodge which is grainy. There are some old posts here and in the cookware forum that I've read on how to season new cast iron, and they are lengthy and akin to reading scientific research papers, interesting and sometimes humerus but too complicated for me to mess with. You might be able to get the Lodge working but it won't be the same as the old stuff. If you like shopping flea markets, look for an old one in good shape or even a Le Creuset and do the sandblast on the inside, it's worth it. If I happen to get something that sticks I put water in the pan, bring
    it to a boil and scrape out the stuck-on stuff, just like any other pan. And you really have to dry it well after washing or it will rust. As for using soap, the ones I have come out fine if I use soap as long as I immediately rinse them well and dry them immediately. Then I rub in a clean coat of oil and wipe with a paper towel. I also don't cook high-acid foods in them.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All very helpful information; thank you. I'm going to work the surface of the Lodge skillet smooth in my shop and then re-season it. I doubt I'll use it for much, especially anything soft like fish, but I can see it's value for sausage, thick meat, and hard veggies.

The pressed aluminum skillet I've had for 50+ years will always be my first choice on the stove. Even without a "non-stick" surface, nothing sticks to it. Go figure.

• User
    7 years ago

Even though you say you're going to keep trying with the Lodge, I just happened to remember: if you ever decide to go flea marketing for an old one, beware of some dealers who try to pass off "seasoned" old skillets where they have actually spray-painted them with black shiny paint to make them look like old well-seasoned skillets. I've seen this before.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

I haven't seen you say how you are seasoning it. You can't just wipe oil or fat on the pan and leave it. We always seasoned by wiping a thin layer of fat (lard is good) on new pans and baking in a 200* oven for 2 hours. Turn oven off and let cool. For the first several times, you need to just fry in it. When the pan is black not a shade of gray, it is seasoned.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sherry - I've been following Lodge's seasoning instructions.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Yes, that is what we did, except I did the 200* for 2 hours. I used Crisco in the 70"s, but it has changed and I wasn't sure it would work, which is why I suggested lard that my grandmother used. I can see where canola would be good ( that didn't exist in the 70's).

By the way, I have always used dish soap and water to clean my pans. My father did and my grandmother also used soap. We haven't had a problem with a fully seasoned pan.

It takes more than one time to build up the layers needed. Do not leave to soak in soap and water. Anything with tomatoes or any kind of acid will remove part of the seasoning and you will mostly be starting over.

If there are any estate sales in your area, they are a good source here for old cast iron. I love mine for frying, pancakes, grilled sandwhiches, and making cornbread, but use my stainless steel for everything else. I have a dutch oven with a lid, the cornbread stick pan, a two burner griddle, a single burner griddle, and 8 ", 10", and 12" skillets. When I say frying, I don't mean just in oil, I also pan-fry unbreaded meat in butter or olive oil.

I have heard before on here about the new pebbly finish on the new Lodge, I haven't bought a new pan in a long time.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Rita, that is awful about the flea market and paint! The paint would burn off in your food!

• User
    7 years ago

I know, it's awful, I'm glad I'm not as stupid as they hope some people are. BTW, although I use my cast iron for a lot of things, I still use the non-stick skillet from Sam's for everyday such as eggs, etc. I learned a long time ago that the expensive high-end brands are no better than the ones I get there, in the restaurant supply section. They ALL degrade eventually, and these are just as good and way more inexpensive to toss and get new ones. I know there are a lot of people who refuse to use the non-stick for health purposes but I figure we've already polluted the planet to the point that it won't make that much difference. Also, if you're really into it, there are some good videos showing how to refurbish really ragged-out cast iron, a lot of work but if done right it's amazing what the results are. Also some that explain the good old brands and how to recognize them.

• Miranda33
    7 years ago

My cast iron pan dates to college, when that was the cheapest pan available (I won't say how old I am, but let's just say college was decades ago). I have never been able to achieve the non-stick level for eggs and fish, but I cook many other things in it, and maybe it sticks a tiny bit--I just don't think everything needs to be as slippery as teflon. In particular, I love cooking hamburgers and steak which get a char that is unique to cast iron and really delicious.

This "chain mail" is what I use to clean my cast iron pan. It is wonderful and really makes cleaning the pan easy, and provides a great result. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• e p
    7 years ago

That is nasty about the spray paint.... My flea market acquisition was made more than 20 years ago and in Amish country... though I don't recall if the vendor was Amish. I do have a round griddle that is lodge - also bought second hand, so I can't really say about it's vintage, but we only use it for pancakes and eggs (I really, really wanted a griddle for eggs - the no sides thing makes it so much easier to turn them). It took a little while to get it seasoned properly - it was completely unseasoned if not unused when found it, but now nothing sticks to it either - not even eggs.

• anoriginal
    7 years ago

All of my CI was yard sale, thrift sore or flea market finds. Nothing over $5 and most pretty crusty. I committed the first sin by doing what "they" say you absolutely shouldn't... out of pure laziness, I washed it. In fact, subject first 3 skillets to spray oven cleaner... they had years of unknown crud on them. After several applications of cheap-o dollar stuff oven cleaner, I reseasoned. Griswold's seem to be the smoothest surface, then Wagner's and then Lodge's... nothing from China allowed.

Round Griswold griddle is pretty much reserved for pancakes and grilled cheese... not at the same time. I can absolutely just wipe off with paper towel when done using.

If I cook something that won't wipe out, I will wash. Sometimes will add a little water to hot-ish (not screaming hot) pan and let sit for a short time to loosen stuff. Then liberal amount of cheap salt (only reason I even have salt in a round box), scrub away and rinse with lots of HOT water. Then back on flame till hot. My grandmother always used a dab of bacon grease, so that's what I do.

• plllog
    7 years ago

One thing to keep in mind, is that once you know how to season a pan, the seasoning isn't precious and doesn't need to be babied. If the worst happens, you can just take it down to bare and start over.

I've never used Lodge (I think my grandmother might have bought out pans new), but I've also read that you can polish down the surface. Ricky, if you check around the 'net, you might find posts about the best grit/brush sizes.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Even if I was of the no soap and water crowd (which I have never been), I would have to wash now. I have a grandson that is allergic to dairy, nuts, and fish. The pan cannot be wiped out. It must be washed to remove any trace of allergens. Thank goodness a properly seasoned pan can be washed.

Now this does not mean that you can take a hot pan and dunk in a sink of water. You need to let it cool to lukewarm on the stove first.

I had to go look, but only one of mine says Lodge and it would be from the 70's. The rest say nothing, SK, or WK on the back. They would be from the early 1900's (grandmother), or 1940-1950's (parents). The double griddle has no marks, but would be from 1980's when I was having trouble keeping up with pancakes for two boys. On this, I could make two big 12" pancakes at a time.

ETA: If you score an old crusty pan, it can be scoured with an sos pad until clean. Then just reseason like a new pan. The only thing that is hard to fix is if someone let it rust until it pitted. That has to be ground flat first.

• Cloud Swift
    7 years ago

I use salt on my iron woks. Put in some kosher salt and hot/warm water, brush and they clean up nicely leaving the seasoning. The initial seasoning sometimes wore through in spots when cleaning, but as time went on, the seasoning layer built up and got more durable.

• leahikesgardenspdx
    7 years ago

I have been enjoying this forum for several years, I have learned things and even been inspired sometimes. I just had to add to this post, especially all of the concern about using soap on cast iron. I have my mother's cast iron skillet, she had it as long as I can remember and I'm 70, she always used soap on it. She did dry it well, put it on the stove with a bit of Crisco. There is a book called Stir, Sizzle, Bake Recipes for your Cast-Iron Skillet by Charlotte Druckman, it has some good information about care, use and more. This is a picture of my Mom's skillet. If you see the gold color under the handle that is where my Dad had it brazed at some time, I have no idea what happened to it. It does seem slightly lighter weight than the new cast iron, perhaps due to war time shortages..?

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I got a new Lodge, and they say it is "pre-seasoned." That is a load of carp. Yes it is pre-seasoned, but not very well. The problem is, you need the oil to polymerize. That means taking it to just below the smoking point. I heat at around 500 and when it starts to smoke, I turn off the oven and let it cool down. I use canola oil. The surface of new Lodge is carp compared to older ones. But you can get a fairly good surface built up if you work at it. Takes quite a few thin seasonings. If there is any sticky residue, do not hesitate to scrub that off. That stuff is not polymerized and it is the stuff that will go rancid, the source of the nasty "free radicals." A truly polymerized coating can be lightly scrubbed and will not come off. Notice I said "lightly." Mild soap used QUICKLY without scrubbing will also take off grease but not the seasoning. But if the pan isn't seasoned properly, well you're back to square one. But the pans are really great to cook on if you can get them seasoned right. Takes a few thin coats, not a one shot deal as some instructions say.

• plllog
    7 years ago

Leahikesgardens,

I'd guess that your grandmother's pan is lighter because of better metallurgy rather than iron shortages. Cast iron can be brittle. It's cheaper and easier to make a heavier pan. If a thinner pan is made wrong, it can crack and they have to start over. Or so I've read.

• chickencoupe
    7 years ago

I always deglaze to removed cooked goods. If it needs to be reasoned following, it doesn't take much. I must admit the learning curve for using cast iron was massive for me. I think it took me three years of constant use to finally understand what was required to have a good season for frying eggs. It wasn't until I decided to make tortillas, that I knew what a really good seasoning consisted of.

For cleanups, I use Kosher salt and a paper towel. I sand the surface with the kosher salt until it is smooth again. For messier cooking, like frying hamburgers, I deglaze.

Pure animal fats work best.

• cynic
    7 years ago

People want to believe some of the strangest things. This myth of don't use soap and water on cast iron has been debunked as clearly as the Nigerian General scam. I'm beginning to suspect this hoax was started by people who were simply too lazy to wash dishes. I grew up with cast iron pans that were washed after every use with soap and water and it NEVER removed the seasoning. However as suggested, it takes quite a while to build up a good seasoning on a cast iron pan.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    7 years ago

I agree with cynic.

I think there are three myths:

1. Don't wash with soap and water, as stated by cynic.

2. A well seasoned cast iron is as non-stick as Teflon. No I don't think so.

3. This one is not proven, it is my own believe. I don't think the surface needs to be extremely smooth. As a matter of fact, many non-stick surfaces are made to be not smooth.

dcarch

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

We bought ourselves a new Lodge 12" skillet for Christmas. I love it. So far, nothing has stuck and it cleans up slick as a whistle. We absolutely love it.

• lizbeth-gardener
    7 years ago

Several years ago I was given an old Griswold skillet by a relative. After cleaning it my adult children all wanted one, so I purchased and re-seasoned several old Griswold CI skillets. I did clean all these skillets first with oven cleaner and most took many applications of the cleaner. I did these when the weather was nice and I put them on old newspaper outside and sprayed, let sit, then rubbed and scraped off. I did each over a period of days. They ended up with a finish that was as smooth as glass. One was so cruddy when I purchased, I didn't know it was a Griswold- the writing was hidden by layers of built up crust. This is a link to the method I used to re-season all my skillets. The old ones are lighter weight and have a wonderful finish compared to the newer ones.
    sherylcanter.com

edited to add: after you pull up link go to the sidebar that says Griswold.

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

I made some biscuits in my cast iron a month ago

• plllog
    7 years ago

YUM!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

I have a question for y'all. My mother had a skillet that we called the cast iron pan, but it was shiny silver on the outside. It was heavy like cast iron, and all one piece, and the inside was black and we always treated it like cast iron, but I wonder what it could have been.

It may have been a restaurant pan originally--my parents were in the hotel business and when they finally settled down to living in a house mom learned to cook from the hotel chef.

Any ideas? It would have come from the 40s or 50s, most likely.

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

Plated cast iron.

I had one a long time ago. Bought it second hand; it was warped on the bottom. I used it for a few years and then got rid of it.

http://www.castironcollector.com/plated.php

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    7 years ago

Yes, chrome plated cast iron cookware.

An interesting idea for aesthetics, but not very practical. Imagine having to clean a heavy pan bottom regularly, and chrome plating makes heat conduction much worst for cast iron which is already a poor conductor, because shiny chrome reflect a lot of heat away.

dcarch

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Thanks to you both! dcarch, I can't say that ours was especially hard to clean. The plating was more like a dip--the inside wasn't plated at all and could be treated like regular cast iron, and we had an electric stove so keeping up the outside wasn't too difficult.

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

I used mine on a gas stove. Cleaning the bottom of the pan was never a big chore. Much, much less so than keeping up with an unplated cast iron pan. (But I wasn't using it for making southern fried chicken every Sunday. I make fried chicken about once every two-three years.)

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

My only skillets are 5 cast iron, 1 not (the one not is an excellent combo of Dutch oven/skillet, so I usually don't use it unless I'm making a stew or jambalaya or other casserole kind of thing. I have one BEST cast iron one. . . it's older than dirt and smoother than silk. Two are pretty "pebbly," and I'm careful about what I cook in them--stuff that is lots of oil and with foods that aren't are prone to stick. I just keep adding oil and lard and heating them up to 450-500 when I have time to think of it, and scrub the heck out of them with salt. . . they're getting better. . . I just got a brand new Lodge dutch oven. . . it's very pebbly. I know my husband wonders why I haven't used it yet. I'm dousing it with lard and heating it up (to 450-500) at times. . . scrubbing with salt. . . gotta get that pebbly finish worn down with filling it in with oil, I guess, and conversely, scrubbing. Counteractive? Maybe, but it seems to be getting a little more smooth. Rome wasn't built in a day, after all. LOL AND I'm yet one more who is frustrated and confused about how to get them to be perfect. . .

But here's the best thing of all about cast iron. . . I've only been using this 5-cast-iron-skillet collection for 3 years. And my biceps are considerably more developed. And I have much more arm strength. What a great thing, and what a riot!! LOL Here's to cast iron!