SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Another food for thought...regarding price increases

User
7 years ago

Everythings going up...that's been the trend for as long as I can remember. Recently, I don't mind quite as much because I'm buying American whenever possible and know that that comes at a price. But where do you tend to draw the line on something and say oh no, I'm not paying that; I'd rather look elsewhere, do it myself or just do without?

What prompted this is I always have to get my jeans hemmed. I have a machine and can do it myself, but I really really hate to sew. Instead, I take them to a little local cleaners and for years they've charged me 10.00 per pair. Reasonable considering she told me herself she's so used to doing it, it only takes her a matter of minutes to do. Last year, for the first time in years, they increased the price from 10.00/pair to 12.00/pair. A 20% increase but not unreasonable IMO, especially since it was the first they'd had in a while.

Today, I take 3 pairs to be hemmed and they wanted 15.00/pair which is a 40% increase from last year's price and a 50% increase from the original price from 1 year ago. When I told the woman, I felt that was steep and this would be my last time there, she honored the old price saying I was a good customer, but that credit card costs had gone up so they didn't have a choice. I don't believe CC fees have gone up 40% so I'll either find another shop or hem them myself, but it does make me wonder, what's reasonable to most? Or when do most people feel it's time to make a change? Is there a guideline you follow?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!