SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Mixing Cat food with real food

sweetchastity
15 years ago

I picked up a pack of Whiskas pouch food with 3 varieties but its chunks in, what looks like, oil. I've been trying to get Dustin to eat canned food but he'll usually lick the juices up and sometimes goes back and eats a bit of the meaty stuff. I've already noticed his coat feels silkier so I'm going to keep trying until I find food that he will eat. The first type I tried was grilled chicken/beef/salmon (was a mix pack) and he'd lick the juices but not eat the meat initially then he'd eat some of it. I don't want to waste this food so I'm thinking maybe I can make it more appetizing.

Mom just made a turkey and sent me home with leftovers so I thought maybe I could take a couple of the turkey flavoured pouches and mix some real turkey in with some of the cooked juice from the turkey and maybe I could mince the meat finer and cook it for a bit on the stove to get the flavours to mix and be tastier. Is this a bad idea?

I've also thought about mincing and cooking the other flavours by themselves. If I break the chuncks into smaller pieces its still bits of meat in, what looks like, oil. If I cooked it together for a bit I thought the juices and meat might mingle and the whole thing would be more appealing. Then I'd put it in tupperware and give it to Dustin when its not hot.

I don't want to start cooking from scratch but I thought there might be ways to make something taste better for him. I have to be careful with my money and can't afford to throw this out IF I can help it. If he won't eat it I'm happy if he licks the juices up but sometimes he won't do that. I think I'll probably go shopping alone so I can look over the variety and grab a tin of different brands and flavours and then keep a record of what he eats and how much of it. Any suggestions? I have visited http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm and read up a bit but bringing Dustin home took a bite out of my budget so I am looking to balance quality with what I can afford. And without a car I don't want to make trips to out of the way pet stores unless I'm grabbing a selection and probably would grab 2 weeks or a months supply at the time, once we settle on something he and I both like.

Here is a link that might be useful: QUALITY COMMERCIAL FOODS

Comments (4)