SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business

2ajsmama
9 years ago

This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since 2011 (kinda jumped in with both feet, I forget what my sales were then, could have been less than this year but I can see that).

2012 was great, but I still didn't break even.

2013 awful, wet, lots of crop loss and late harvests.

2014 was cool and a bit wet, late harvests but not too bad. The thing is, even things that did sell for me last year (like tomato starts, summer squash, and green beans) didn't sell as well this year. So even when I had things, they didn't sell (at the same market I was at last year, so that's not it).

I've been growing tomatoes and peppers - but peppers are always late, I'm thinking of giving up. Tomatoes are a big seller early and late, and I do have plastic now for the tunnel, so I can start those earlier next year so is it worth putting in about 30 plants in 55ft middle row just to have some (maybe) in July instead of Aug?

I have 2 side rows, not much height, I did buy lots of pepper seed at $ Store but not big investment, what's best to put in those beds next year?

Market runs late June through end of Oct (unless I can get into a different market), so lettuce is always bolting by then, strawberries are almost finished (and this year I didn't harvest many due to chipmunks getting through netting), though strawberry jam sells well. July is a real low point, I didn't even pick blueberries this year b/c I was so busy with 200 tomato plants (will cut that down next year) and the beans (that I am thinking of increasing since I need to rotate out of nightshades). But blueberries don't sell well for me at market, though again the jam does.

July is hot and awful to stand out on the blacktop selling too, not too bad this year (but I didn't have much to bring so skipped it).

I only went to 6 market days out of the 15 they held this year, 1 in June, 1 in August after tomatoes started coming in (the following week was canceled due to heavy rains), and 4 in Sept (skipped Oct 1 b/c of rain and kids' schedules, DH was on business trip I just couldn't manage). Plus Open Farm Day. At those 6 markets, I sold just under $400 worth of produce and jams, but spent $50 for insurance certificate, $100 in fees (1 week free), plus time and vehicle expenses.

I could almost do without the truck which costs me $500 in insurance, about that in maintenance each year, and gets 10-14mpg @ $3.50-$4/gal for less than 1000 miles per year. I use it to get supplies (fence posts, burlap, etc) that won't fit in car, and occasionally to run barrels of water out back during a dry spell but that's like 2x/year, and I could put them in a trailer and haul behind the tractor. Renting a truck from Home Depot or trying to borrow a pickup from a relative would work if I needed more fence posts, wire fencing, etc.

I did sell some plants wholesale ($25, it was June by then), some tomatoes and jams/jellies at Open Farm Day ($90), and some tomatoes through DH's work ($37).

But no one is coming to the house - I sold $6 worth of tomatoes when I left a cart up by the mailbox, just what someone decided they were worth (I didn't weigh before and after) though I had a sign on the back saying weigh and pay down at the house (they probably didn't take more than 3 lbs). 1 neighbor came down yesterday looking for summer squash (all gone) and said she might need tomatoes next weekend. That particular neighbor has a small garden, grows tomatoes and peppers (this year her DD planted chiles for her BF and then moved out so mom has to harvest them). Most neighbors don't have very large gardens at all, maybe a couple of tomato plants, but they don't seem to be interested in fresh produce, I do think they know we're here (better signage would help, I'm going to see about keeping a largish sign up all year, maybe a 6ft banner in high season, depends on what town has to say). Another neighbor asks me to donate jams, etc. for Historical Society Tavern Night(s) each year (sometimes 2x/yr) but has never bought anything.

So after spending almost $1000 for materials for the HT, do I give up and try to sell the plastic and wiggle wire (still packaged up), maybe the cross-connectors (been up for a month), or do I put the thing up in the spring and give it another year? What to grow that I'll be able to sell late June - early Aug when I traditionally haven't had anything (though I know I'll have tomatoes earlier with the tunnel)?

Do I find another market (farther away, more gas/time, maybe higher fees?), or get rid of the truck (my major expense each year, and will be getting more expensive when DS gets his license) and try to sell more from a farm stand? How to increase on-farm sales (I can spend money on better signage, have been handing out business cards like crazy this year, FB page but no traffic)? CSA (I would still need July crops)?

I gave more to food pantries and soup kitchens than I sold this year - they were glad to get lettuce, zucchini, beans, Asian greens, and 100's of lbs of tomatoes.

What to do? I can't keep losing money like this! Should I go door-to-door with flyers and talk to neighbors (some I know, some I have met in the past 7 years of Girl Scout cookies and trick-or-treating but don't know, a couple of new people moved in the past couple of years)? Tell them that if we can't keep farming we might have to sell to developer (more traffic if they put in new subdivision at end of cul de sac where we are, and kids play basketball currently)??? Save Our Farm appeal???

Comments (79)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County