SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ariel7576

My Ugly New Orchids Need Help

I bought an orchid on sort of the Mexican version of eBay. Shipping was overnight, so I'm guessing the plants weren't in great shape to start. The good: the plant I bought was cheap & the seller threw in a bonus plant. The bad: I bought some fertiliser as well & the bag split, so both plants got fertiliser burns on their leaves.

The one I knew I was getting is a dendrobium (supposed to be nobile). I'm aware that's not really the best orchid to try to grow in Puerto Vallarta. (It came from Veracruz, though, so it likely is used to un-ideal conditions.)

As you can see, some of the canes are really in bad shape. I have no idea why it is mounted. I'd rather put it in a pot. Can I go ahead & do that now? I was surprised to see that, in spite of many of the roots being a mess, some have nice green growing tips. Let's see if I can get a picture of that.

There's even something new coming.

Even the leaves that weren't burnt by the fertiliser aren't good. There's yellowing & it seems like mould.

So can you recommend soaking it & pulling it off the mount? Can I go ahead & cut off nasty dead roots? What about the yellow crunch cane? Could I trim the gross bits off the canes that are still yellow?

And then there's my mystery orchid. Any guesses as to what it is?

(I think I've maxed out photos, so I'll put the ones of the mystery plant in a comment.)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor