SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bong477

Vetting finish selections

DrB477
7 years ago

It's been slow getting started but we finally started construction on our addition. Foundation is complete and the exterior framing is moving along quickly. We are trying to finalize selections for cabinets, backsplash, floors, counters, etc. We have had everything but the cabinets selected for a while now.

Initially I thought I wanted stained wood but all the inspiration pictures we liked were white or grey paint with light colored countertops. Like many, we like the brightness and clean look. So I thought we settled on light grey paint (probably with a dark glaze) but when we got the cabinet bids they were so expensive we looked at ways to cut costs and found we also liked a light to medium grey stain. I also like that stain is a bit more durable and doesn't show expansion cracks to the extent paint does.

The stain was a bit of a saga and required some experimentation and matching, but we got one that I like now. While it was initially intended to save money, at this point though, its not really saving any money and we could just go back to paint (especially if we skip the glaze which I'm open to at this point) for about the same price. After getting several bids that were all about the same, I have come to terms with spending 60k on cabinetry...

The countertop is LG Minuet, the floor is american estates in spice (will use black grout), and the backsplash is arabesque white tile (we will also use white grout) from the Tile Shop. As I said, we really like all these, think they work well with each other and the existing finishes and original wood floors in the rest of the (110 year old) house, and are pretty set.

This is our layout. The lockers and bench area will be part of the custom cabinets and match the kitchen. There are only uppers by the main sink and by the laundry sink. The 30" fridge, 24" freezer, and coffee are all built ins with custom paneling. Everything goes to the 9' ceiling. The dishwashers are also paneled.

This is what we originally picked (top half of door is unglazed, bottom half is glazed). Countertop here is rocco, not minuet, so the veining is a little darker but base color is the same.

This is our stained option

My wife's input was "I like both."

The brick behind the second picture is staying as a "backsplash" to the range which creates the bumpout you can see in the layout pic.

So with cost being almost a non issue, any input into which we should go with? I am leaning towards the stained version, but is the stain going to be too dark? Should we maybe do the island (and possibly locker/bench area and/or fridge cabinets) in stain and the perimeter painted? I was leaning towards everything the same, but I think that could look good too.

Comments (30)

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

With your other materials, I love stained or a mix of both(in which case I'd probably won't do the glaze). I looked at the plan but I'm a poor plan reader..will your arabesque backsplash border the brick bump out where the range will go?

DrB477 thanked aprilneverends
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Your wife is right on this one. I like the mix. And that way you could do both. I too am confused about the brick backsplash and the arabesque backsplash. I would definitely want something that is easily washable behind the stove and the kitchen sink.

DrB477 thanked practigal
  • Related Discussions

Keep me sane! Selecting finishes for exterior/interior door hardware

Q

Comments (2)
    You can split finishes with Rejuvenation door hardware, and could probably do the same with hardware from House of Antique Hardware or other reproduction hardware vendors. We did that with a few of our doors, and we have ORB knobs on our main floor (where the woodwork is stained) and white porcelain knobs upstairs and in our basement (where the trim is painted white).
    ...See More

Struggling with wetbar tile floor selection in basement finish project

Q

Comments (3)
    I think everyone agonizes over their choices. Maybe you can post photos of the space, the color stain you are using on the cabinets and put it all up together in the room, then you'll get more commenters Otherwise, I do like the floor color...light and bright. You're doing rugs anyways (I'd assume), so the subtleness of the floor is great. I have real dark walnut stained wood floors, and while they are gorgeous, you see every spec of dust, cat hair, foot smudges in the light, etc. I'll be going lighter next time. I really like the 'tilebar' website below since they have multiple images for each item laid out in the room. Have you thought of a chevron pattern wood-look tile layout? https://tilebar.com/dujour-chevron-natural-honey-8x48-porcelain-tile.html These are so realistic now, gorgeous: https://tilebar.com/dujour-chevron-natural-daylight-8x48-porcelain-tile.html Another option is to go large format porcelain which would be gorgeous too. Many look like concrete or industrial.... https://tilebar.com/archea-grigio-24x36-porcelain-tile.html This is gorgeous: https://tilebar.com/cultiva-bardiglio-cenere-lappato-24x24-porcelain-tile.html This is bold, Calcutta marble look porcelain: https://tilebar.com/fortezza-calacatta-antique-24x48-porcelain-tile.html Here's a terrazzo-like tile which is pretty: https://tilebar.com/rizo-cenere-24x24-terrazzo-look-porcelain-tile.html And this is soooo ultra cool, industrial, metal looking.... https://tilebar.com/plaza-oxido-30x30-metal-look-porcelain-tile.html https://tilebar.com/plaza-oxido-30x60-metal-look-porcelain-tile.html Go to their 'behind the bar' page and get inspired. My favorite is the Gold Requiem (used in the bar) for bling: https://tilebar.com/lookbook
    ...See More

Selecting a Pool Finish

Q

Comments (3)
    We used Wet Edge Lapis Blue, which is in the Prism Matrix line. It is not completely smooth flat, but the pebbles are smooth. We do love it and have had no problems but it's only 1.5 years old. The cost difference for the Primera was not worth it for me and the installer did not recommend it enough to justify. I also based my decision on the color choice I loved best. I will say that I, and I alone, get irritation on the back of my thighs if I sit in the hot tub long. The wet edge folks came out and sanded? the hot tub benches to a smoother surface but I still get irritation, so I don't know if it's the finish or me. Nobody else has ever had the problem so it may just be me.
    ...See More

Unique Calacatta finish selection: Glace, polished or natural?

Q

Comments (2)
    Did you need up getting this stone? We are interested in this one !
    ...See More
  • DrB477
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is a 3d rendering. It's not exactly right but it gives you an idea of how it will look.

The backplash will go to the ceiling around the windows and under the sink cabinets, so everything that has the beige colored paint will be the white arabesque backsplash. The brick is exisiting and will be sealed. It's probably not ideal material to have behind a range, but talking to other people sealed brick behind a range has worked out okay for them.

• DrB477
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is how it actually looks now pre/mid renovation (its a mess obviously, we are in the midst of cleaning it out)

As in the above rendering, a second window will be added in to the right of the brick flanking the range. The addition allows the fridge to be bumped back about two feet (to about where the exterior wall that it backs is currently) so the room isn't as narrow as it appears now.

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

I would put lighter or white cabinets in there. That space doesn't get a lot of natural light. The brick will be a nice contrast. The dark would be too heavy.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

It will have two windows though, after reno, and probably all kinds of artificial light.

It is a lot of dark cabinetry though(but beautiful stain! love it), so maybe to put the painted ones on the perimeter? You'll have to baby them more than stained. I have painted cabs first time in my life so the difference in babying is significant. Maybe I'll overcome being upset over every tiny blemish within several months..maybe it's "new and shiny" syndrome.

Will you have sufficient space between the windows and the bricks, for the arabesque? It does seem like a lot of cuts. And a bit too stark to go next to the brick. The sink wall-perfect. Range wall-I don't know

• practigal
    7 years ago

I second pipdog.

DrB477 thanked practigal
  • Kathryn P
    7 years ago

My preference in kitchens in general is the lighter, the better... but looking at your design and color options, I really like the stain. I think it provides a richness that they grey doesn't, and looks better with the brick.

DrB477 thanked Kathryn P
  • lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

I like the stain or the idea of mixing them (without the glaze).

DrB477 thanked lakeerieamber
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

agree with Kathryn about the richness of the stain..really nice stain what can I say. Not easy. maybe then range and sink part-stained, fridge part-painted? Island-I don't know. I'd say stained as well.

• dan1888
    7 years ago

With that bid amount, I'd recommend exploring Amish sources for construction and installation.

DrB477 thanked dan1888
  • DrB477
    Original Author
    7 years ago

As I see it I have 4 groups of cabinets

#1 Sink + DWs + dish/silverware storage, range, long stretch of countertop, then "laundry" sink + washer and dryer

#2 Island with stools

#3 Fridge, Freezer, Coffee, Speed Oven wall

#4 Lockers for kids and a window bench

If we did a two tone approach with the intent of making the space lighter, I think #1 would need to be painted. The lockers (#4) would really benefit from being stained due to expected kid wear and tear. Stain probably makes sense on the island (#2) as well. I think cosmetically painting the fridge/freezer wall (#3) makes sense, but functionally probably the other way around since I'd guess the fridge and freezer get a lot of kid wear and tear too?

I'm pretty stuck with using the current cabinet maker at the point. I like them for the most part, their work looks good, they are who my contractor typically works with and strongly encourages me to use, they been working with me for a while now, and I shopped the plan around to a few semi custom vendors which were all similar price ballparks.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I also thought about functionality..that why I was hesitant on #1 becoming painted...the only reason actually. It's a very hard working space.

My DH was making lunch (for me I must say so I really shouldn't be picky about what he spilled and blah blah)..but he did spill something-I--have-no-idea-what, and didn't notice right away and me neither..I can't wash it away whatever I try(a bit of white vinegar, a bit of baking soda..nothing helps) and I'm also afraid to rub too hard. He also dropped either knife or fork and that knife went into the cabinet-first little blemish. And it's lacquer, so not easy to take care of..I tried..:) And it all happened within 5 min.

Good thing though-I'm pretty sure no one really sees all this stuff but me

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Who is the cabinet company? Do you have a bid for Shiloh? In such a lovely old house, I'd choose a Shaker cabinet door - your door style says "upscale subdivision". I'd forget the glaze - it will instantly date your cabinets and doesn't go with the exposed brick at all (frankly, I hate it anywhere!).

Yes, stain for mud room cubbies might wear better. Even cheaper and better - hooks and a self - most children are not good with cubbies and they're costly.

Paint island "kick" side dark - it will be scuffed - or stain it. I think white or Repose Gray" woukd be lovely for uppers. I would not do a fancy tile pattern - too busy with the brick and it distracts. Could the brick be faced with skate or soapstone? It's going to be a nightmare to keep clean.

And I'd stick with LG Minuet for counter - other is too busy and dark.

Good luck!

DrB477 thanked Anglophilia
  • DrB477
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the input.

Cabinets are a local custom shop. Been in business awhile and uniformly good reviews. We did not bid Shiloh, we did bid Starmark and Omega. Keeping the mudroom cabinetry consistent with the kitchen limited the lines that were available. I talked to the local Shiloh person and didn't get a good vibe. I don't like plain shaker but I do think I'm going to swap out the door style for a recessed panel with some decorative accent such as this

It fits better with the other doors throughout the home which are all recessed, not raised.

I'm open to a mix of paint and stain in the room, but I didn't want the uppers and lowers in the same area different. I don't like that sort of two toned look.

We are going to keep the brick. I did some research with this and most people that have sealed brick behind their range or cooktop seem to think its fine. I could always reface it later with some sort veneer if its turns out to be a nightmare.

As for the backsplash, we really like the pattern. I think its going to be more subtle and not all that overwhelming when done with white grout.

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

I like the light gray paint but I love the stain- very rich and beautiful. Both doors are pretty, but your most recent choice with the recessed panel is a winner because it melds with the style of other doors in the home and you like it. I would ask the cabinet maker to create a sample door, so you can see how the glaze hangs. Maybe ask for a sample door of each style. Minuet complements the stain you have chosen. Minuet paired with the stained door gives an up-to-date vibe. Even though I would be a bit leery of brick behind the range, I would give it a chance too. The seal would protect it against stains, but the rough texture might be annoying to clean; however, not enough to nix it without living with it for awhile. As I have mentioned here and there on the forum, I am selecting finishes for my kitchen and have been on the painted or stained- which shade- journey. Your thread has helped me tremendously and given me confidence in my choice as I am pretty much decided on stain over white painted.

DrB477 thanked happy2b…gw
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Paint the uppers (no glaze) and do the lowers and the tall cabinets in stain.

DrB477 thanked cpartist
  • my_four_sons
    7 years ago

I like your door style and the stained cabinet. Hate to offend anyone, but I feel like the gray painted cabinet is very specific and will date the kitchen to a particular few years.

DrB477 thanked my_four_sons
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I think: are all classic books the same? no, they're very different.."Winnie the Pooh" is a classic, and "Crime and Punishment" is too. It doesn't depend on a particular color. It depends on several elements working well together in a particular home in a particular place. Just as very different classic books say something really important but in a very different way-the same do styles, including different kitchens.

So I wouldn't hang up on a color so much as long as you feel it is true to your home and to what you really are ready and happy to see everyday.

It can be repainted too, if a day will come and the color will suddenly loose its charm. A bit hard to imagine as most people understand cabinetry is there for a long time and try to choose colors they like; but what can i say, i go through some difficult relationship with one of the paintings I own..if it can happen with art it can happen with anything. So here's your solution, not cheap yet available. Art is harder.

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

I'm with her: I like both.

Lowers stained, uppers and island pale?

The reverse would look top-heavy.

DrB477 thanked lazy_gardens
  • DrB477
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback.

Talked with my wife again about this last night.

Leaning towards painting the main sink and range "L" shape of cabinets in a light grey (#1 circled in red in my layout above). Repose grey looks very nice, going to pick up a sample from SW after work. The rest (fridge wall, island, lockets) will be stained. Anybody see a problem with that?

I appreciate the advise of painting just the uppers but I don't really like that look.

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

The L in one, the rest in another would look good.

• DrB477
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is with repose Grey. Looks good to me.

• bemocked
    7 years ago

I really like the brick-as-backsplash aesthetically! You could always mount a clear piece of glass over the brick in a rectangle immediately behind the cooktop, as was done to protect the wood here, to make it super easy to keep clean:

• homechef59
    7 years ago

In a past home, we had brick counter tops. They had to be sealed. I stripped them once. It took four applications of polyurethane sealer before they quit sucking up sealer. Just warning you that it might take some time to get the brick backsplash job done. Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion. Have you considered painting the brick? I'm thinking white or grey? It's as much practical as aesthetic. Either way, that brick wall will be a lovely feature.

I have LG Viatera Rococo. I know you are a looking at the Minuet. You will be happy with either one. With the brick and backsplash as planned, I would go with the Minuet. It's a little quieter.

I'm counter to everyone else, I like the paint without the stain. I'm not a huge Shaker fan. Shaker doors are appropriate in farm houses designs. Anywhere else, they are becoming a bit over done. I like your door selection. It's classic without being over the top. Leave off that glaze. That will date the effort.

I suggest you hold of on the final decision of the arabesque tile. It's a busy pattern even in white. Get the counter tops installed and then make a final decision. You may decide to go for a more quiet pattern.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I think the gray cabinets with the stained interior will look just wonderful. I too like your door style.

• DrB477
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We've considered a few things with the brick including painting it (probably white). Waiting to see what it looks like when all the rest is demo'd. Good chance that decision will have it own post ;)

Wife is pretty set on the backsplash (and I like it too) so I doubt that will change but we can certainly hold off buying the tile until the counters are in.

I do like the door but i think the similar one I posted above will be equally nice and a little better for meshing with the rest of the house. I had actually told the cabinet people at our last visit that I wanted the second door style but they made the sample with the first one we picked.

• MaWizz
    7 years ago

I'm voting for the stained probably because I'm going with the same color scheme. The other is nice too. The grey with those materials seems a little more pretty so that's nice too. I'm not really into pretty, but rather cool. Get what you love. Anxious to see what you choose and see pics. love the Arabesque!

• DrB477
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm not sure the door style is great for both painting and staining? They are mitered and pretty detailed.

I think this might work better? It has enough detail for the stain to be interesting but not so much as to be problematic with the paint? It's also not mitered. Alternatively, would it look off to use a simpler door like this for the paint but a more complicated one such as the recessed panel I posted above for the stain?

Or am I overthinking this?

Ignore the distressing, it was the only example I could find of the combo (simpler door with fancier framing bead). It's also quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks!