SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Gardening around the dripline of a neighbors HUGE oak: maybe roses?

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a large area, about 10 yards by 15 yards, that is just mulch because of a neighbor's huge oak tree that hangs over. I will try to show it in different photos so you can see it in the context of the rest of the yard (excuse the winter bleakness).

The photos don't seem to capture how big this tree actually is. It's about 60 years old. The neighbor is a sweetheart and planted it with her late husband and children. It means a lot to her.

I was planning to just leave it as mulch until we could save up to trim back and thin out the part of the tree that hangs over. BUT... my neighbor decided to surprise me and is taking care of it (all of it... it hangs over 3 different yards) this spring. I feel so lucky!!!!

OK... so now I can do something with this! The deep part I will just leave as mulch because that will still be under the dripline of the oak... but once she has it trimmed back and thinned out I will probably have at least a 5 yard perimeter around the rounded edge of the mulched area to work with.

In that perimeter area, I plan to do oak friendly plants that I have already in different areas of the yard like nepeta, coyote mint and thyme.

I also want to do some naked ladies (belladonna), bearded irises and pacific coast irises. These should be oak friendly for that area.

But here's the rose question.... do you think I can do some roses here? Maybe some in pots instead of in the ground to start with? I don't want to hurt her tree with too much summer water... but I do want to use at least a little of this part of my yard if I can! Maybe just the furthest area away from the perimeter of the new dripline once it's trimmed?

Maybe I could put my attempts at rooted roses or budded roses here in pots after they graduate from the raised propagation beds?

You all have helped me so much with the rest of my yard. I feel like it's really "our" yard, not "my" yard because of all of your guidance (and enabling). :)

I so appreciate your ideas, expertise, creativity and ongoing assistance!

Comments (38)