SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briancrecely

70 Year Old Avocado Tree - poor health, need troubleshooting

briancrecely
7 years ago

I recently moved into a place with a beautiful avocado tree that was planted around 70 years ago. It was part of an orchard in our neighborhood at one point. Last summer the tree had an off year and did not produce any fruit. My neighbor said that the tree often produces close to 200 fruit each year. the tree had flowered again in October and since then it has been losing a lot of leaves from the old and new growth from October. It has thinned out its canopy at least 40% since summer.

Being that its the middle of winter I would expect the tree to not have any new growth but it does not look well. I am in southern California and we have had a considerable amount of rain this year. Luckily despite the heavy rain we have not had a any standing water under the tree, which I have read is not good for them.

I haven't been able to identify the variety. It bears medium skinned oblong fruit with matted green skin that does not turn dark when ripe. The flesh is very creamy and delicious! I was hoping for a good year this summer since last year was kind of a bust. If anyone has any info they could lend me on how to keep this tree healthy and give it what it needs that would be great. Thanks, Brian

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County