SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilneverends

A very small and haphazard reveal

aprilneverends
7 years ago

OK, so I got up really early lol. Also, I feel bad not sharing when others are. The pictures are mostly awful, and it's all pretty modest and straightforward, nothing special,so I don't think it all warrants opening separate threads..in the Kitchens, and in the Bathrooms, etc. I'm going to cram it all here, the pics are not very detailed either, for most of the part..

The pics(except if I'll show you couple of "befores" from the listing) were taken by me, so..I photograph as well as I sing)) I'll try to tell you verbally the right colors though lol, when sorely needed.

I'll start from outside since it was my inspiration..that's how bougainvillea looks when she's doing great( and not like now).

(and staghorn just sneaked in since I specially love him too)

so..it's a Spanish Ranch, built either in 1968 or 70 (prefer to think it's '68 since that the year when my brother was born))

It's right in the heart of the city. the city looks like a town to my inconspicuous eye...yet it's a good-sized city, more than a 100 000 population for sure. It was considered "undevelopable" until one urban planner came and drafted a plan on how to use this capricious, ever moving land..so it was hills of grass and many many orange trees before-and suddenly, the building started-and it started approximately where we are now. Thus we have a relatively (to Orange County CA) big lot, no HOA fees, and live right across the city library which makes one feel very enlightened..))

I'll start with the master bathroom because as some of you remember-one of the pendant, the pink one, broke a second before installation..probably some box stood for a brief time on top of the box with these pendants, because it was totally fine when it arrived and for several months after. So my husband glued it together. So I have this fear it will become unglued. I think that was the reason I started taking photos in the master bath..until the pendant stays glued together))

It's a pretty big room. I'd say-it's easily bigger than our kitchen. lol. We built an addition-and it had to be seamless with the house, and partially it was expanding the master bath which was a tiny room with a tiny shower before. So we kinda had this relatively big square now-and we wanted a shower with a bench, an enclosed toilet, and a bathtub with a step. Most of these are needs not wants..anyway they did screw up the framing, just an inch or two, but it had a big effect)) The bathtub is narrower, (which might be a good thing btw), so is the vanity, etc.

the shower is very big

dislike pics of toilets but oh well..it is there, door and all, so

the stone, detail..i love this stone. it's marble i think. since it behaves like marble))

the colors are slightly off or don't come through, on many pics..the house is not blessed with light and i'm not blessed with a talent in photography

for example what you see as a light gray in the toilet room is actually a pretty dark brownish purple (different paint than the rest of the space). to illustrate that's how the pendants look like IRL:

(ok I guess I have to continue in the next post )

Comments (64)

• rockybird
    7 years ago

I love it!!! I really love your lighting fixtures! Everything looks great! The kitchens cabs are perfect and I really like the windows! Also, I like your tile in the shower, backsplash and your step!!

aprilneverends thanked rockybird
  • always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

I LOVE the look of your dd's room. That fur throw looks so cozy :-)

aprilneverends thanked always1stepbehind
  • Related Discussions

Small Galley Reveal

Q

Comments (52)
    a circa-1965 Sears Kenmore 30" gas range with the usual drop-down door, copper brown, in a kitchen with no dishwasher, disposer, or microwave. I'm gutting the whole kitchen and starting over. Wanted to have a 30"w oven cabinet with a side-swing Gaggenau 27" or 30"w single oven with a 30" GE Advantium 240v wall oven above it, but space considerations will probably rule that out. I'll probably use the Advantium much more than the regular oven, so I'll probably go with a Fagor 24"w oven under the countertop, with a drawer below it. I'm hoping the side-swing door combined with the ball-bearing glide-out shelves will combine to make it easy to insert and remove oven trays without leaning down very much. I still want the Advantium, but that needs a wall cabinet if I go with the built-in model. There's also an over-the-range version, but since it has to fit between 12" deep wall cabinets, you lose several inches of interior depth; a large pizza won't fit. Also, the exhaust-fan function on over-the-cooktop ovens is always weak, a problem since I would have liked an indoor grill which needs a high-CFM exhaust fan. I'll either use a 24"w Gaggenau electric cooktop or a 12" cooktop (only two burners) next to a 12" grill. It's a small house so two burners should do, especially since I'll have an instant hot water dispenser so you don't need a water kettle. I'll keep a portable 3rd burner in one of the drawers for emergencies. I have back trouble so I pay close attention to these things.
    ...See More

Small galley kitchen reveal

Q

Comments (26)
    Kats737- it's heat. We found that when it gets below ten degrees here that the amount of baseboard we put in can't keep the temperature up to its set degrees. We changed from steam to baseboard (unfortunate. I love steam but to replace it all would have cost Almost triple what it did to put in baseboard) and put less baseboard in the kitchen area knowing we would expand in the future. When we found it got too cold we put this little heat blower into the toe kick. It works perfectly.
    ...See More

My small kitchen reveal! (Minus backsplash)

Q

Comments (45)
    Yes, I replaced the first fridge because it was too big for the space. The 2nd is an LG and I love even more The space is perfect for us and it give us another 6-7 inches in the kitchen which makes a world a difference! And I'm still loving my honed Carrara marble! Every night I have to go say goodnight to it haha. It so beautiful! We've had it 2 months and we have absolutely no etching or stains. I purchased my cabinet pulls at Ikea. The rug was pulled from my foyer and I'm still debating on it. The subway tile is from Lowes. The grout also from Lowes and it's called silver. It's 48 hours old and has dried to the perfect color.
    ...See More

Small Master Bathroom Reveal - All done!

Q

Comments (27)
    I agree with the others that this is a calming design you have implemented in your new bath. Very nice! If you find that you can't get used to the look of the cabinet hanging above the toilet given more time, you can consider insetting a box into the wall as the mirrored med cab does, and using the existing cabinet door as the door of the inset cabinet. It won't be hovering over the toilet anymore and may feel more integrated. Doing this will mean cutting a stud and building a little header to keep the structural integrity of the wall. Then the wall box will need to be a tiny bit smaller than the existing cabinet box so that the door hides the trim you use to edge the hole in the wall. These guys might even be able to make the cabinet that inserts into the wall for you to use with your own door, if you ask them. I love that the wall cabinet is opposite the matching vanity cabinet and that you see the wall cab in the mirror.
    ...See More
  • miniscule
    7 years ago

It's all beautiful! The bathroom is just fabulous, the lighting is great, and I love the floral decor through your kitchen windows.

aprilneverends thanked miniscule
  • cacocobird
    7 years ago

Beautiful -- wonderful job.

aprilneverends thanked cacocobird
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Love what you've done, april. I especially like how you worked your windows with your natural landscape and the colorful lighting. Thanks for walking us through it all.

aprilneverends thanked OutsidePlaying
  • litasart
    7 years ago

Loving all the windows in your kitchen I would never tire of looking at your bougainvillea, stag horn fern , and birds of paradise! Bringing a home back to life and filling it with love,all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

aprilneverends thanked litasart
  • raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

Your new home is gorgeous......I really love what you've done! Thanks so much for sharing :)

aprilneverends thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
  • melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    7 years ago

I love it! So much personality in your home, and at the same time nothing feels contrived or overdone. Looks like a very comfortable place to live -- thank you for sharing all your photos!

aprilneverends thanked melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Nicely done!

aprilneverends thanked artemis_ma
  • pudgeder
    7 years ago

Your home is just beautiful!! It's perfect!

aprilneverends thanked pudgeder
  • juddgirl2
    7 years ago

Beautiful! I especially love the master bathroom floor tiles!

aprilneverends thanked juddgirl2
  • isabel98
    7 years ago

so amazing. just makes you want to smile:)

aprilneverends thanked isabel98
  • User
    7 years ago

I agree with melle_sacto: your home has great personality and a wonderful collected look!

aprilneverends thanked User
  • rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

Love the softness of your space. The beautiful arches and carefully selected lighting throughout. Beautiful. And I could die happy in that bath!!!

aprilneverends thanked rebeccamomof123
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much everybody for your kind words..too kind actually..I'm very..ok I can't find words which is a sign by itself. Thank you.

• peaceofmind
    7 years ago

I love the way you write. I gave up on even looking at your pictures because the way you write is just so entertaining. And I must say I am a little jealous of the way you and your husband worked together on hunting bargains etc. My dh is a nice guy in most ways but we can not work together on anything. In my defense, he can't work with anyone, strictly a lone wolf.

Now I'll look at the pictures but I'm sure I'll love them. Your post reeks of personality and I suspect your rooms do also.

aprilneverends thanked peaceofmind
  • lizbeth-gardener
    7 years ago

It's so fun to look at before and after pictures. I love what you've done with your home. It has so much warmth and personality and all the stories and people you worked with along the way make it even more interesting. And I would like to hear your greige story!

aprilneverends thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much, peaceofmind. I guess it's a perfect time to apologize for all my mistakes and typos..I found a lot...:)

I also first read then look at the pictures.

My DH is amazing that's true. He does though have an opinion on absolutely everything..whether he was interested in it beforehand or not..for example he didn't even have furniture until I moved to CA to be with him..you would think: why would he care at all? yet he does, and has thousand questions too..he's an engineer you see. Engineers are widely hated by default. In remodels. I can't count how many times a vendor or a driver or whoever we encountered asked him "are you an engineer, by any chance?" within first ten minutes after meeting him. he's very very smart that's true..but let other people be smart too, right? lol

so, relatively small stuff like lights- I didn't ask him. I did try to show him all the lights I collected on Pinterest..just even to understand his likes and dislikes. And he can't look fast through the pictures. And I collected couple hundreds of images. He suffered..it was a sensory overload for him. He can look very fast through blueprints. Which I can't-neither fast, nor slow..))

So in the end I just got all the lights myself, very frightening, but what could I do.

He was hunting appliances, on the other hand. Then he would show them to me, ask if it's fine. Yeah, it was fine. I'm very relaxed about appliances. As I am about TVs, laptops, phones, cars and other things that work in some mysterious ways.

Art and big things-yes, that we decide together. Except for these two last portraits..and that one thing I bought today..so no, my conscience is not completely clean right now..

I'm very impulsive when it comes to art that really strikes me. So I make myself to wait for a several days. If I can't rest until I get it-well, then it's the right art. I'm not getting obsessed too often though. so that's good. Pinterest helps. It's like having a lot of wonderful art without possessing it. I also don't have that much money so that's good too:)

Sorry that got too long. Once again..:)

• jill302
    7 years ago

Love your house! I am a Ranch fan. Your updates are very well done. Your choices improved your home dramatically while enhancing the Spanish Ranch style

We purchased a 60's ranch in Orange County, last year. We have a bit of land with it. Nice to be removed from the craziness a bit. This is the type of home I have hoped to own for a long time. It needs renovation, we are at a bit of a loss as which direction to take. Home has a split personality Spanish and/or Contemporary ranch. I will be asking for help here before too long.

Anyway, thank you for the inspiration!

aprilneverends thanked jill302
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you so much, lizbeth. That was a wrong question-because it'll get long once again:) I'll try to keep it short. You see, I see letters and numbers in colors, always did. It's quite common actually..sometimes I meet somebody and it's the same for him/her, and it's fun to compare. Much later, I read that some people also attribute music notes or textures to words..well it's simpler with me, it's just colors. So every word is a combination of colors. some letters have stronger influence, some- weaker..and they paint that word together accordingly to these strange color rules.

So when I was little I didn't like my own name. Many kids don't, in the very beginning. They do, yet they don't. It also was some strange color I didn't have a name for. A bit gray, a bit brown. I wanted it to be red for example but it just wasn't. I made an attempt to ask my Mom to change it, but she just laughed. So I stayed with this pretty non-interesting name..colored like a tree bark or something.

Well as all the rest of the kids that don't quite like their names I had to warm up to it. And to that color too, simultaneously.

So I started liking it. Yet I didn't have a name for it.

And the older I got the more I liked that color. I didn't connect it with my name anymore..at least not consciously. But I started painting with it my nails, and walls, and..you name it.

Well when the color got to be fashionable I learned the name. At last. It was greige..:)

Still I didn't think of this connection. And then one day I suddenly got it. It was the color of my name. So that was fun to realize. And it was not fun too-because it meant ..Jane is now a common grown-up. (c, "Peter Pan")

• aprilneverends
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, jill..thank you everybody for bearing with me and my long ramblings.. and for your warm, wonderful words.

• brdrl
    7 years ago

Your home is gorgeous! I love all of it and am especially jealous of your staghorn fern - I have killed 3 of them. We have gone to great lengths wall mounting them after watching YouTube videos and reading many articles but I think they just prefer their natural habitat and not a sunroom in CT.

aprilneverends thanked brdrl
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you! all the yard (that was doing much better before the remodel than after I must say..so we'll have to get to landscaping at some point) is definitely previous owners' work of love. we just really tried to keep it alive. was hard since it was drought during all that time...and the water was also off for days in a row, they shut it down for this and for that. was pretty crazy. Now it's a normal winter at last, rains and all..so I hope it will help too, until we find that landscaping guy..or gal. We have a front yard and a backyard, and both are really nicely ..composed if you can say it about a garden? The family that lived here-they were the original owners too I believe-they really, really loved the house. They sold to us(they had another offer simultaneously) just because it so happened we met the seller in person..and she saw in our eyes we have a potential to take that torch so to say. During the final walk around she was so immensely sad, it was a home of her childhood ..we hugged, and I told her "We'll do everything we can"

Many times I felt the purchase of this house was the stupidest mistake I ever done in my life. (I'm not including relationships..or thinking that if I have a green light the driver will stop..))). But this house, while nothing special, no view, no nothing, had such a good vibe even when it was all but cement and two by fours. In general when not here I wanted to burn it to the ground lol...but every time I saw it I fell for it again somehow. And I felt I've given a sort of a promise that I have somehow to keep. Idiotic, I know. It took more than two years all that story. Let alone the money-we put in so much that we'd never be able to claim back, because the time doesn't come back to you when you're all done and ready.

Yet I somehow -with all the losses- continue to love the silly house. There's something about it. Definitely is. It's alive. And I kept my promise.

• G Sm
    7 years ago

April, I love it!! Congratulations on a beautiful home. Beautiful, warm, colorful elements. Wow!!!

aprilneverends thanked G Sm
  • Janelle Van
    7 years ago

Love your home! Full of personality!

aprilneverends thanked Janelle Van
  • pippiep
    7 years ago

Beautiful! I love that bathtub floor tile.

aprilneverends thanked pippiep
  • peaceofmind
    7 years ago

...how many times a vendor or a driver or whoever we encountered asked him
    "are you an engineer, by any chance?" within first ten minutes after
    meeting him. he's very very smart that's true..but let other people be
    smart too, right? lol...

Let other people be smart? Not my husband. Ha Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one and it could be worse.

aprilneverends thanked peaceofmind
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think my husband read this thread..))) I fell asleep with the page open..

at least he told me when leaving for work "I miss you, even though I'm an engineer"..))

Woe is me!

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Oh it's just delightful.

As a tile geek, I just love your tile picks, all of them. Your backsplash tile is so beautiful. I wanted to reach out and touch it, and the edge detail! And the bath is beautifully put together.

Your kitchen cabinets are gorgeous and I like your Kohler faucet and think it fits very well. You need to show us your cooktop and hood, though.

I hope you live a wonderful life in your beautiful space.

aprilneverends thanked barncatz
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    7 years ago

"tile geek"-yes! that describes it so well.

thank you, from all my heart. You're very kind.

and I'm ashamed to say but the hood's name is spelled Broan..not Brown, lol. true, I won it..but the DH told me exactly what make and model I should look for..:)

• roarah
    7 years ago

Wow! I love your home! It has such a happy vibe! Really nicely executed redo!

aprilneverends thanked roarah
  • User
    7 years ago

Adding I love your tile picks, too! Esp. the bathroom floor.

Enjoy the bougainvillea--when they're in bloom, they are indeed magical.

aprilneverends thanked User
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    7 years ago

april, it's wonderful to be able to see your house! What a great job remodeling, especially with the arches (and echoing bathroom window), giving your house the Spanish soul it deserves.

The kitchen remodel and the two walls of windows are amazing. The dining room light fixture is lovely. And what a beautiful garden to bring "inside" through all those windows, with the added houseplants. Thank you so much for sharing!

aprilneverends thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Peppapoodle
    7 years ago

April, your home is just lovely & perfect!! I'm so envious of the clean, unfussy & simply refreshing feel it gives off from your photos!!

The tile & colors are wonderful & even more so-- the shadows from some of your light fixtures gives the effect of subtle wallpaper. I hope you & your family enjoy many happy memories here:)

aprilneverends thanked Peppapoodle
  • lizzierobin
    7 years ago

Wow! Very nice and has a great Scandinavian vibe to it. Your tile touchs are very nice, love the bathroom tiling. I can see myself soaking in the tub. :-). Your kitchen is beautiful, I am a sucker for Shaker style cabinets. The huge kitchen windows with view of the bougainvillea...wow!

aprilneverends thanked lizzierobin
  • nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

Love everything about the house. Great job!

aprilneverends thanked nutsaboutplants
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

I was traveling this week and finally had a chance to read this (minus the many comments). Your house looks great. Congrats on being done and putting together such a beautiful home. I'm hoping the condo is sold as well! Job well done and may you not have to take on another project for a while!

aprilneverends thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Spanish I was thinking of you:) (and not only because I forgot the address of the framing place you gave me back then..egocentric but not to that point, lol)) thank you very much-and I wish your words are heard somewhere there high up..and taken to heart))

The condo is not sold just yet but we're active under contract or how they call it..inspections blah blah..keeping fingers crossed. The staging helped me A LOT in separation process..I though I'd be devastated to leave..well, lo' and behold. It was my very happy place though...everybody loved it..I hope it goes ok with the buyers since they seem to love it too.

I must say there's something unhealthily addictive about remodels too. You hate it. it makes you older and poorer and sicker and grumpy..but it's like being in prison probably..people hate it yet they still..not necessarily part with it completely when they are out.

Well they ("they"-our builder an his guys) still have stuff to do lol, so not completely done just yet))

Thank you very much everybody..I'm touched more than I can say, and many of your comments made me not only blush but also think a lot and see some new perspectives and associations.

• texanjana
    7 years ago

April, your home is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

aprilneverends thanked texanjana
  • isabel98
    6 years ago

Hi april, just curious if you could let me know how long it took to get the ann sacks backsplash tile? I am replacing my backsplash and I am considering this line...don't know what color yet. thanks and agree with all the above..great spaces.

• mojomom
    6 years ago

Very nice. I love your attention to detail and the thought you put into everything. Great job and thanks for sharing!

aprilneverends thanked mojomom
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

oh. thank you! it changed a bit since then. put some art up-found new art I don't know where to put yet-along these lines lol

isabel, as far as I remember it was a bit seasonal with them..this line is also very popular. And it's not in stock like some simpler lines, made per order. So it could be 5 weeks wait, or it could be couple weeks more. Summers are more busy.

I must add that our saleslady there was exceptionally good. That helped. In general, and in many particular occassions. When we had to order more, to order something we had no idea we have to order (the question "how you're going to finish the backsplash" didn't cross my mind-and then I heard it from the tilers on the day of installing..lol..then it was bath- yet another story. we were frequent customers there. Seeing somebody competent, calm, reassuring, expediting shipping when possible, and just geniuely nice and funny..it added to the mental value I attach to the tile. I guess. I hope to get back there. I can't get over my dream tile, and I need to remedy the crooked fireplace somehow anyway, so I'm considering things.

That was to say-I hope -if you decide to go with them-I hope your experience with the store exceeds expectations, just as ours did.

• isabel98
    6 years ago

Thanks so much. !

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I am so sorry I missed this when it was first posted. April, your house is beautiful. Of course I had seen snippets of it in threads here and there, but having all these pictures together, along with your beautiful narrative, is like seeing a character from a book you have only imagined come to life on the screen in a way. Your home is cheerful and inviting all the while being terribly chic. Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

aprilneverends thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rita, you're too kind as you're always are..thank you so much!

the pics are awful the more I look at them lol. well in my defence it's really hard to take good pics unless there's plenty of natural light..and somebody else is taking them:) Who knows better.

We just moved in then(the pics taken within first week or two of us in..we had guests coming 9 days after we moved. Guests are my sacred cows.), Obviously more lived in now.

We managed to clean the laptop memory some, so i might be able to show you new art, at some point. I'm torn as to where to put it. I'm torn between my initial plan and better balance-and egocentrical needs of me seeing art better from where i usually see it. Lol.

The mistakes still stay mistakes though. We didn't get to remedy anything yet. The hardscaping/landscaping of the backyard..still awaits. But we put in one more arch(lol. my DH couldn't live without it) and finally installed back door closet.

My friend took pics of the house for her photo business but she was very fascinated with details, I thought she's gonna take these wide lens pics like real estate photographers- but she was so much into books and lights and art and compositions of sorts. Her photos are hundred times better. I think I posted some of hers here and there. They're just a very different approach of showing space. She didn't care about capturing shower niches lol. She has Instagram. And artistic vision. And great camera and knowledge how to use it. While I have you guys:) And strange abilty to write long posts. If I leave a message on somebody's phone it's also painful.

(I'm the best when I have someting like flu btw. I get short, clear, and to the point. Going to the job interview when I had a fever practically used to be a guarantee of me getting the job))

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

I enjoyed looking at your beautiful home, april and I hope you'll share the new art you found! Love your taste and how you describe colours. It's obvious you don't simply see them, you feel them. I love that.

aprilneverends thanked tartanmeup
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Love everything, as I knew I would. Congrats

aprilneverends thanked bossyvossy
  • roarah
    6 years ago

Happy is the vibe I get from your home!

aprilneverends thanked roarah
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    6 years ago

that's what I lately try to remedy with art, lol. Overall happy still wins I suppose.

thank you so much everybody!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional