SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megnliz

Need recommendation for airless sprayer for Zinsser Cover Stain

megnliz
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My house is a fixer upper....when we bought it, the entire interior needed to be painted and we still have a lot left to do. Every room has some sort of painting obstacle: painting over oil paints, painting over varnish, years of nicotine buildup, smoke/soot (from a dirty fireplace)....etc....so needless to say, Zinsser oil-based Cover Stain has become my best friend! I've also gotten into painting furniture lately, and it's excellent for that as well. I just love the stuff. But, it goes on thick, and I absolutely hate brushing/rolling.

I have a Finish Max HVLP sprayer for small jobs, but Cover Stain is too thick to go through the sprayer. When thinned (with Laquer thinner) Cover Stain does not adhere as well (probably the reason the can says DO NOT THIN!) ;)

I've tried the water-based Bullseye 123 through the HVLP and it does work for some jobs, but the adhesion just isn't as good as Cover Stain (probably because it too needs to be thinned first)

So now I'm looking for a sprayer that will work with thick oil based paints such as Cover Stain, without having to thin them first. I want to use the unit on both floors of my house and outdoors, so I want something that is portable, so it doesn't require an air compressor. I'm looking at the Graco Magnum X5, but I'm just starting my research and would appreciate some input. I'd like to spend less than $300 if possible.

Comments (4)