SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralphv_gw

Help--need to repaint smoke stained textured ceiling

ralphv
16 years ago

I need to paint a small bathroom ceiling (about 36 sq. ft) that is stained from tobacco smoke. The ceiling is also textured. I don't know if I should do some preliminary cleaning to the ceiling before applying a primer. I read on this forum somewhere that Simple Green was a good product to use for cleaning painted surfaces but it seems to me that any liquid cleaner, even one that didn't require rinsing, would not be good for the texture material. The ceiling was originally painted with a latex flat white ceiling paint.

Here are my basic questions:

1--Is there a stain hiding latex primer made for this purpose? (I will be putting a latex topcoat over the prime and I've been told a latex topcoat can't be put on an oil based primer).

2--If the answer to question is 'no' does that mean I will have to use an oil based primer and topcoat?

3--Would using Simple Green for a preliminary cleaning of the ceiling be recommended? If so, any suggestions on how to get the stuff on and back off without damaging the texture? Is rinsing required?

4--What are my options on primers whether latex or oil based? I can get either Zinzer or Kilz. Which one should I get, which particular paint within those brand names should I use and, again, can I use a latex topcoat over an oil based primer IF that is the route I have to take on the primer?

Any other suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (4)