SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Backsplash Basics - New FAQ?

Buehl
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Eam44 has suggested we add a new help topic - Backsplashes. She has a good point since we get a lot of questions about backsplashes! I think it's a good idea to have, at the very least, a "Backsplash Basics" FAQ.

So, I will post Eam44's proposed FAQ in the first comment of this thread and am interested in comments, etc., from others b/f I ask the Powers That Be (PTB) to add the FAQ.

Thanks in advance (TIA)!

Comments (60)

• eam44
    7 years ago

DLM, How can we help? You sound flustered. You mention:

IWSF - no idea what that means.

• finishing a kitchen without a hood
    • finding a bs
    • removing the hood (you've finished the kitchen without a hood, remember?)
    • installing the bs (good)
    • re-installing the hood (you finished without a hood, so you're not re-installing)

"I won't delay installation of an enormous hood to find tile for the backsplash. I don't want cut tiles up and down my hood."

In most kitchen renovations installation of the appliances and the backsplash are part of the contract with your gc. The order in which that should happen is backsplash first, then vent hood. It is very common - and often necessary - for the mounting hardware to be installed before the wall is tiled. If you need more information, please start a thread.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

earn44 - thank you for your concern! I'm definitely TIRED 15 months into a new house build, probably wrote a poorly worded post and have been flustered pretty much on a weekly basis! But I have my kitchen in process, cabinets are in, counters templated, back splash tile (which will only be behind the stove) just went in today and the big honkin' hood will go up soon. My point was not everyone can put off installation of a hood, and if they do, at least some kitchen functionality is lost while hunting for a backsplash because they wanted all other elements in place before making that decision. I understand t from the standpoint of color, texture, change of plane, competing elements and so on, that waiting to make that decision may be best. That's what I mean by in a perfect world we could all wait and make sure all elements are as perfect as can be together but not everyone can or needs to wait IWSF = Ice Water Stone Fire. My point was, large general rules are great guidelines but there's always fine tuning of those rules for the individual.

• Related Discussions

New tile accents on already laid tile backsplash

Q

Comments (6)
    Not only that, but he did a crappy job with the one he did to begin with!! He never should've put that small piece at the bottom-- should've been two equal pieces top and bottom. Then you could even put your accents where the 4 courners of the tiles came together!! Sorry-- can you tell I have no patience for hacks that rape their customers?
    ...See More

New Range - new backsplash?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for all your replies! I really appreciate it! i don't think it has anything to do with insulation, for that it's not going low enough behind the range. We actually took it off yesterday to see what's behind it (my husband has to relocate the power outlet and there was another box behind the panel and he needed to know what it was) and it was not only screwed but glued as well on the two sides. Lowering it is not an option since then there would be a gap to the fan. I guess that we will go the route of stick on tiles for that area for now and leave the rest as is. It needs to come off anyways, because I'm getting a pot filler faucet as well.
    ...See More

New Countertop and Backsplash left with 1 inch of exposed drywall

Q

Comments (13)
    There is always auxiliary work associated with any project that is not handled by the specific trades you hired for the specific job. For instance, if you hired an electrician to run new wires for new under cabinet lighting, (and you should do that) they would create damage in your drywall too. Electricians do not do drywall repair any more than stone fabricators do. Coordinating the various trades to come in and do all of the needed work on a project is the responsibility of the General Contractor. A small job like this needs plumbing disconnects, demolition, cabinet leveling, overhang support engineered and installed, counter installation, drywall repair, painting, plumbing reconnects, and touch ups. That’s a minimum of 3 trades involved, and as many as 5, but it’s too small of a job for most GC’s to take on. That puts you in the role of the GC for hiring and scheduling all of those trades Individually, rather than a GC doing it all for you.
    ...See More

Help with kitchen backsplash ideas that don't clash with new floor

Q

Comments (240)
    What a charming house! You've done great. I had somehow missed this thread up to this point, and I did not read all (or even a significant fraction) of the previous responses. I have a 1910 house and also don't like subway tile. But I wanted something that fit the era of the house. I ended up going with a simple (and extremely cheap) 4x4 white field tile capped with a contoured molding tile (that almost but doesn't quite match the field tile because I couldn't find a molding I like from the a manufacturer that did a 4x4 field tile that was 4x4 rather than 4.25 x 4.25. Adds to the charm). I have very few uppers, though. I think a 4x4 white (or gray, since you seem to think white is too stark) field tile with black or charcoal pencil liner would be cool. These all show a pencil liner with subway because that's what the popular kids are doing, but it would work as well with a 4x4 or other basic field tile.
    ...See More
  • eam44
    7 years ago

Well you deserve to feel exhausted!! There are a lot of rules, and you are right, they are just guidelines. It sounds as though you are nearing the end, so hang in there. And definitely post a reveal when you can so we can all celebrate with you. Good luck!

• lwfromny
    7 years ago

Would LOVE to see a dedicated backsplash link. Am in the backsplash selection stage and overwhelmed already just by choosing what will look good much less trying to learn what I need to ask and know about installation, grout, prep, sealing, etc etc etc...

• practigal
    7 years ago

Eam44 I agree but where would the edited version be posted?

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

More acronyms (grumble). Anyhow, i'm interested in the backsplash topic.

• eam44
    7 years ago

I hear you, Artemis.

It would be part of the New to Kitchens thread FAQ. You should check it out practigal. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

• enduring
    7 years ago

I think this is a great idea. I am not a writer so I wont be offering any editing :) I like the idea of basics in the FAQ, with the intention that it will help GW'ers (Garden Webbers) to formulate questions for posting and input on the forum.

@eam44 has covered some of the following:

1. Function of backsplash (covered in OP)

2. Esthetics of backsplash (covered in OP)

3. Installation of backsplash: I get so discouraged seeing terrible tile jobs on the forum. I'd like something to address the planning of the layout, interviewing the tile installer, redflags to watch for all along the way, and a link to Tile Councel of North America, etc. I don't personally know which would be the best to link, but I hear reference to this one.

4. Techinical: info on the components of a backsplash, typically tile is used and is DIY friendly, but backsplashes could be slabs and glass. What are the terms of the products being considered (short list).

5. DIY: I would like it so that the DIYer could get information about doing a
      backsplash project, not the details, but some reference to where details
      are available.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The FAQ would be the best location.

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Well, I am the contrarian on the topic of when to choose a backsplash. I like to have all of my elements chosen before the project begins. This offers several advantages, IMO.

I know I have a complete vision before demo starts. That way I'm not stuck with a bunch of finishes I like but that don't work with any backsplash options I like. I see that happen here sometimes where someone wants, oh say a blue backsplash, but blue just doesn't work with the grey-green countertop that is already installed.

Also, it can help with budgeting. If I fall in love with a very expensive backsplash before my project even starts, I can decide to buy a less expensive cooktop and flooring to make it fit into my budget. If I have already purchased and installed everything else, that dream backsplash may be precluded by the choices that are already locked in. And as another example, in my last ktichen remodel, I actually snagged Heath tile from their seconds room for a fraction of full price. Choosing ahead of time allows for more bargain hunting, which can also help with budget.

And it can help with planning other layout details. For example, horizontal subway tile backsplashes look better with the electrical outlets turned to be horizontal as well. Bu those outlets should be set up that way at electrical rough-in--fairly early in the project.

It can also help with project completion. Yes, a kitchen can be functional without a backsplash. But if you fall in love with special order tile that takes 8'weeks to come in, you are delaying completion by two or more months. And if your contractor goes on to another job, it can tough to get the crew back. This can also complicate final payment for the project.

I have done three kitchens with GW's awesome help and I have picked the backsplash tile before the job started in every case. I am always careful to check colors in all lighting and to pay attention to horizontal vs vertical surfaces. I have never regretted choosing my backsplash tile before demo began.

• sas95
    7 years ago

I am with crl. We chose our backsplash at the same time as we chose everything else. In fact, we chose the tile first and built everything else around it. This allowed us to select a countertop and cabinet color that came together cohesively, as opposed to the many people who visit this forum forlornly realizing that the tile they love does not go with their already-installed busy counter. And that now their choices are limited to white or cream tile (not that there is anything wrong with white or cream tile if that is what you really want). If you put all of the major elements of your look together before the project starts, you can figure out whether the busy tile or the busy counter is more important and make the appropriate tradeoffs. Wait until later, and you are stuck.

I'm not saying that everyone should choose their tile first. When I was planning my kitchen, I read some good advice from a designer somewhere that said to choose one element you love, and then design around it. It could be the backsplash or the countertop or a cabinet color. That makes much more sense to me than a hard and fast rule that you must wait to pick your backsplash and the implication that if you don't you are doing something "wrong."

• Carolyn87
    7 years ago
    I agree with sas95 here. I know what color cabinets I want (well 3 top choices but 1 in heavy lead), and that tells me exactly what can go well with it. Blue, teal or green cabinets (possibly with light taupe or grey accented piece, need to view in samples and 3D). That is my thing to build on. White or black counters (likely black) though grey could go with blue too. Knowing this beforehand (and that cabinets are most important to me) I can test all the combos before anything starts. I have my favorite tiles picked out and will see what combo looks best. I thought of glass but might stick with ceramic or porcelain, just subways, beveled subway or penny tile. This will be fun photoshopping.
  • eam44
    7 years ago

Crl, the question isn't so much whether you've chosen a bs you like, it's more how many people have you've helped choose a bs on this forum, that they've liked. I'm glad you've done well for yourself, but you may be easily pleased (I know you're not) or have horrible taste (I know you don't because I've seen your suggestions). Most people can't visualize well, maybe you're great at it. But there are literally thousands of posts that read something like, "tile was just mounted and it looks horrible. Now what?" There's one way to avoid that, and that is to wait.

Carolyn, good luck.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It looks like the FAQ could discuss the two options - picking it before or after along with the rationale and pros/cons of each.

Maybe have two FAQs combining Eam44's, Enduring's, Practigal's, and CRL's suggestions:

• Planning and Choosing a backsplash - including Enduring's function, aesthetics, & technical and Eam44's & CRL's rationale for b/f or after and including full vs short backsplash (see Practigal's post above)
      [if it get's too long, we may have split them up]
    • Installation - both pro & DIY and covering Kimihh's question about starting/ending a backsplash

Thoughts?

Oh, and while these would be in the FAQ section, there would be a "Backsplash" post in the New to Kitchens thread with the appropriate links like Eam44 mentioned.

The reason I think the FAQ is the best location is that someone looking at our FAQs will see them without having to search for a thread. FAQs are a bit more difficult now that Houzz took over, but I can work with Tamara to get them posted once we finalize what we want.

(I really miss the days when we could create & edit our own FAQs! I also miss the days when we could use more than primitive formatting!)

• enduring
    7 years ago

There are tilers and building generalist on the Bathroom Forum. They would be an excellent resource for technical input.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Is Bill Vincent still around?

• enduring
    7 years ago

These members:

MongoCT

Creative Tile Eastern CT

Tundra Finish Works LLC

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Cabot & Rowe

Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech

and of course Bill V. but I don't remember his new Houzz name.

Here is a link to a post by new homeowners with their new build. The shower became a disaster in short order. The many tile folks above really helped them in getting a fantastic result.

Bathroom Tile Help New Construction

• enduring
    7 years ago

Buehl, I was composing that list when you posted. lol. Yes he is still around infrequently. I just cant remember his new name.

ETA, here it is Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent. Here is a posting that he did to explain the name change: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2830498/creative-ceramic-and-marble-bill-vincent-same-same?n=26

• eam44
    7 years ago

I'm glad you're all so enthusiastic. I would just point out that people wanting advice on their own installations can start their own threads, or (please, God) read some of the DIY threads already posted.

I think it would be better to focus on the basic information people need in order to get started, or even to post their own effective threads. One thing we are fantastic at is the, "I love this tile but can't find it in my price range" threads - posters know what they like and how much they can spend. We have been fantastic at finding alternatives. The people on this forum can't help you if you don't have a budget or don't know what you like when you see it. It's important to be succinct and to help people get started.

Anything beyond that is beyond the scope of the FAQ.

• enduring
    7 years ago

I agree that the FAQ should be succinct, and we don't want to post a FAQ page that puts us out of a job ;)

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

If you want to include my contrarian view, I'm happy to try to edit it down if that's helpful.

• eam44
    7 years ago

if you can get it down to a sentence or two then yes, that would be great.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, CRL, if you could edit it to a paragraph or so, that would be helpful.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Enduring - we'll never be out of a job. No matter how often we post links to the FAQs, it seems that most people still don't read them! Oh well, enough people do that it's still worth it.

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Here goes:

There is a contrarian view on when to choose a backsplash. Choosing your backsplash in concert with your other materials, prior to demo, allows you to be certain they all work together both in terms of design and cost. This keeps you from running the risk of falling in love with a backsplash that doesn't look right with your already installed counter or fit within the budget that is leftover after you have made all of your other choices. There are also advantages in terms of lay outing things like electrical outlets to best work with your chosen backsplash. Finally choosing your backsplash before demo starts allows you to order any necessary material so project completion isn't delayed. It is very important to make sure you see all of your materials together in your space in various lights to make sure they will work together

I hope that helps. Please feel free to edit as you see fit if you decide to include it.

• eam44
    7 years ago

"This keeps you from running the risk of falling in love with a backsplash that doesn't look right with your already installed counter or fit within the budget"

If anything, you'll have a better idea of the true budget farther down the road, and you'll be able to look at tile samples in your space with your materials and so have a better idea of whether it looks right. Both of these issues benefit from waiting.

Ordering tiles and having them on hand can prevent delays, and knowing what tile you're using could help with electrical. Perhaps we should refer to the clowns in the kitchen theory and point out that either the counter or the bs will be a focal point. Don't choose either material until you've considered which will be your clown.

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Eam44, I believe you are wrong. For example, my Heath tiles came from the seconds room. If I hadn't been able to find them there, I could have adjusted my budget to allow for the added expense if that was my priority. But not if I waited until every other element of the kitchen was installed. Then there is no budget flexibility left--you are locked in to whatever money is left over.

I have always disagreed with the standard advice on here to wait to choose your backsplash. It is just inviting disappointment at the limitations created by postponing the decision. I think it is what often drives people to neutral, plain backsplashes. That's all that is left that works because they didn't choose their materials in concert. There's nothing wrong with neutral plain backsplashes But they should be by choice, not because you have backed yourself into a corner.

But I don't think it's necessary to have an argument about this. I defer entirely to anyone and everyone else who wants to put together a FAQ on this issue. If there is not interest in including the contrarian view point, please simply omit it.

• eam44
    7 years ago

But Crl, that's a completely different argument, and a good one. You're saying that if you don't think about the bs selection till the end, you will have fewer choices. Thats definitely true. You need to decide which kind of kitchen you want before you pick your counters.

Can we post example images on the FAQ and cross post with counter FAQs?

• eam44
    7 years ago

Something like this perhaps:

How does one choose a backsplash?

First, like every other process here, we encourage you to do some research on your own, then post your particulars and ask for feedback.

One fundamental question you must consider before all others is whether your counter material or your backsplash will be the focus of your space. Consider images of kitchens with busy counters, and those with commanding backsplashes, and decide which you prefer. Bold counters and tile rarely work well together.

To Wait or Not To Wait

Buying your bs material when you buy your other finishes might prevent delays down the road and could help with electrical outlet considerations. Drawbacks include that you are making decisions based on samples, sample cabinet fishes, sample counter swatches, etc... and that it is hard to evaluate these on site.

Waiting to buy your bs materials until you have had your counters installed allows you to see sample tiles in your space in your light throughout the day, with the possible drawback that you may have to wait for tiles to be fabricated or to arrive, causing possible delays.

• Lisa
    7 years ago

@buehl I had no idea there were FAQs for the kitchen, and I've been coming here for a year now. Because of this discussion, I just poked around and found the FAQs finally. They would have been good to read before I did my kitchen. :-) http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchens-faq

Now that I looked for it, I will always know where to go, but it never seemed obvious to me that FAQ in the sidebar would have area specific FAQs. I assumed that was just a FAQ about the website.

It would be awesome if at the top of the main kitchen page there was a link to the kitchen FAQs in the little description of the forum. Is that something that could be requested from the PTB?

• lwfromny
    7 years ago

I'm no designer - just an appreciative user of the advice you all are generous enough to give. @crl I think you present a sound perspective on the advantages of choosing bs early in the process. I think others present an equally valid perspective of the "wait" school of thought. From the perspective of the average consumer of Houzz advice, I would say that it would be helpful to those learning about the bs topic to be presented with both schools of thought, with the ultimate takeaway clearly stated that it's pretty much one or the other. Either pick it early and let it guide other choices, or wait till the rest of your selections are installed (not just selected). As a person needing to pick bs soon (having decided at the beginning that I wanted white subway and later realizing maybe I don't) what I have figured out it that it cannot be chosen midstream. I've wasted a lot of hours (days!) trying to do it at the halfway point and have realized I have to stop. I would have loved knowing that once I picked everything else but bs, I should stop obsessing over it and just be patient.

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Eam and Buehl - this is a very good idea, and a good deed for the forum. (And you know what they say about good deeds....)

Regarding 'early' backsplash choice timing - or, choosing materials in concert -- how many threads do we see on this? These would be the forward thinkers who've done this before (IMO). I think the majority of the 'backsplash' posts, are from those who are backed into a corner. (Poster child, here)

So, perhaps a paragraph like:

Route 1 - Forward Thinkers: Including your backsplash choice in your sample board allows you to ....and prevents you from ...

Route 2 - For The Rest of Us: Selecting your backsplash after all other elements have been determined, allows you to see how the tile samples look in your actual space and.... . Cons: for this are..... State clearly: You will get far better results with good pictures of your existing space, when soliciting advice on which backsplash works best.

• eam44
    7 years ago

I like that Ob2be. I would add that waiting to buy your tile isn't the same thing as waiting to plan the bs. How many posts have we seen that read something like this, "bs tile is finally in and it's awful" and it truly is awful. Plan early, buy late is my approach, but not everyone is open to advice. Even here :-) Let'sjust let this idea percolate. No need for new FAQ, as no one really starts at the beginning any more anyway.

See you all on the threads!

• Stan B
    7 years ago

Here a simple rule of thumb to consider: If you pick a countertop with a lot of movement/color variation and want the backsplash to have a unified flow choose a backsplash color that picks up one of the colors in the counter.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Comment for crl_'s contrarian point of view. I'd like the first sentence to include the topic of buying the backsplash initially. For example, instead of "There is a contrarian view on when to choose a backsplash" . It could read something like this, "Advantages to choosing the backsplash, along with your other elements, at the beginning or your kitchen project". My point is to introduce the paragraph with the main theme of getting the backsplash early in the planning phase. Then the paragraph can stand alone and not necessarily follow the paragraph that advocates for the "wait to buy backsplash" strategy. Am I making sense?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Well, I am the contrarian on the topic of when to choose a backsplash. I like to have all of my elements chosen before the project begins.

Well then that makes two contrarians crl. I have my stone and my backsplash and my kitchen is months away from being installed. What I still need to choose is my cabinet color for my cabinets. I had to first make sure that I could use the Mennonite cabinet maker. So my next job is choosing the cabinet color within the next week. I am leaving as little to chance as possible.

And the truth is, designers don't wait until a kitchen is done to choose the backsplash for their clients. They do it at the same time.

It's similar to painting a painting. An experienced artist will work the background, main subject and foreground all at the same time, bringing each element to a similar degree of completion slowly. An amateur artist will get excited to do the "fun" stuff first by doing the main subject, and then be stymied by what to do with the background color or design.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

But there are literally thousands of posts that read something like, "tile was just mounted and it looks horrible. Now what?" There's one way to avoid that, and that is to wait.

Back in the old days, designers or even regular folks would put together mood boards with all the selections arranged.

Yes there have been threads about how horrible the tile looks, but in most cases it's because someone chose something that even if they only saw it in a mood board would have looked off.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Cp I know you're invested in this point of view. I really hope it works out for you like it did for crl. But I think it's terrible advice to offer to lay people who just want their kitchens to look pretty.

There is no cabinet company on the planet that will guarantee that your cabinet will be the exact same color as your sample.

There is no counter fabricator - not Corian or Formica - that will guarantee your counter will be exactly the same color as the sample in your local big box store.

Handmade tile and mass produced tiles have color variations over different runs even with the same glaze.

I'm glad your process is working for you, and I hope your kitchen ends up looking the way you want it to, but maybe you should wait to see how it goes before you recommend others follow your example.

Oldbat's (and she's a genius with a gorgeous kitchen) cherry cabinets turned out redder than she wanted, and I believe they were custom finished. If you have selected your tile but not purchased it yet, you can pivot if you need to, and make necessary adjustments without blowing your budget on tile that has cool undertones for cabinets that have turned out unexpectedly warm, or a counter that suddenly looks yellow. That kind of mismatch makes me insane. Other people wouldn't notice that or care.

You can't know what you're dealing with until you see your actual materials in your space. How much that matters to each of us is an individual thing. I'm increasingly aware that this is no biggie for most folks.

• lwfromny
    7 years ago

Well said eam44. It matters to me a lot - that's exactly why I've decided I need to be a "waiter." I chose my cabinet paint early, and was very diligent about sampling the paint, and also hired an expert at color. I was so confident. And still, the final color is MUCH lighter than I thought it would be, and that affects my backsplash choice. Thank goodness I hadn't purchased it.

Even if every color and undertone played out exactly as we think it will, the average person can't understand or envision how it all comes together and looks full scale until they see it. A pro generally can but the rest of us - not so much. Plus in many remodels, electric is not fully done early, and the lighting during construction is not what it will be when done. Another reason to wait in my book.

• eam44
    7 years ago

I've answered the first question twice in the last month so I'm going to recommend we work on this again. We shouldn't delay this further over the question of whether or not to wait to choose a bs. Both views are now presented below. If you have any other recommendations for edits, fire away.

Again, this is proposed as a backsplash addition to the New to Kitchens FAQ.

To the age old question, "Do I need a backsplash?" the short answer is yes. You need some sort of backsplash in wet zones to protect your walls, cabinets floors and subfloors from deterioration due to water infiltration, and in your cooking zone to protect your drywall from cooking oils, spills, odors, and cleaning chemicals.

That said, plenty of houzzers have chosen not to have a backsplash, or to delay the choice for budgetary or other reasons. Search for threads with ABB (all but backsplash) in the titles to check those out.

First, like every other process here, we encourage you to do some research on your own, then post your particulars and ask for feedback.

One fundamental question you must consider before all others is whether your counter material or your backsplash will be the focus of your space. Consider images of kitchens with busy counters, and those with commanding backsplashes, and decide which you prefer. Bold counters and tile rarely work well together.

To Wait or Not To Wait

Buying your bs material when you buy your other finishes might prevent delays down the road and could help with electrical outlet placement. Drawbacks include that you are making decisions on colors and finishes based on samples, sample cabinet fishes, sample counter swatches, etc... and that samples don't always represent the final product accurately.

Waiting to buy your bs materials until you have had your counters installed allows you to see sample tiles in your space in your light throughout the day with your actual installed materials. If your cabinets are warmer than you expected, or your counter cooler, you are free to search for a bs material that can pull things together. The only drawback to waiting is that you may have to wait for tiles to be fabricated or to arrive, causing possible delays in the completion of your space.

The majority wisdom on this site favors waiting if that is possible. Regardless of which approach you choose, you should consider your bs as one part of a whole picture of your beautiful new space.

Inspiration Images

These really help you to focus on what your kitchen as a whole will look like. They also give the folks responding to your queries an idea of what looks you like, so they won't recommend white subway tiles if all your inspiration images feature handpainted Mexican tile.

Google images of kitchens with your other materials (white cabinets, walnut floors, etc...) and select which ones you like the look of. What type of bs do they use? The idea is not to copy the look, but to get a feel for looks you like, and communicate those looks to others.

Budget

Finally, we'll need an idea of a materials budget. Installation can account for half of the budget for a backsplash, so take that into consideration in your planning, and deduct accordingly, and let us know how much you want to spend in $/sf for your materials?

It's not very helpful falling in love with a handmade tile in a custom glaze if it costs $100/square foot and your budget for tile is $10/sf, but houzz members are fantastic at finding similar (and occasionally the same) tiles for less money. Without budget numbers it is very difficult for us to truly be of help to you.

How we can help.

The way it works is that we can recommend a surface (usually tile, sheet glass, metal, slab stone or laminate), advise against a choice (color, or busy-ness are the usual reasons), provide you with layout and pattern feedback, and images you might have missed of materials that have worked for us or caught our eye.

"How can I find a bs tile to go with my green floors, counters, and purple cabinets"

The answer might be that you have to paint your cabinets or change your floors to make it right, or maybe some houzzer somewhere will show you an image of a kitchen with a painted tin backsplash that pulls it all together. It has happened before.

Some houzz members are great at photoshopping images together to give you an idea of what a small sample of tile might look like in your space. It is time and effort on their part that can be truly helpful. Remember to say thanks.

I hope we can be helpful!

• enduring
    7 years ago

bump

• eam44
    7 years ago

Ok, well... I think we've got it now buehl. If you could move forward with this, it might be helpful to those getting started.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Again,

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll see what I can do. I'm still waiting for Tamara to add the Acronyms FAQ - and I originally emailed her on January 30! Give me through the weekend as I'm really busy at work.

I'll try to do it tonight.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

FOR TAMARA AND THE FAQ

I've gone back and reviewed what everyone has said and came up with the following:

==================================================

Title Subject: How do I choose a backsplash and when do I choose it?

=============== CONTENT BELOW ==================

To the age old question, "Do I need a
    backsplash?", the short answer is yes

You
    need some sort of backsplash in wet zones to protect your walls, cabinets,
    floors, and subfloors from deterioration due to water infiltration, and in your
    cooking zone to protect your drywall from cooking oils, spills, odors, and
    cleaning chemicals.

That
    said, plenty of Houzzers have chosen not to have a backsplash, or to delay the
    choice for budgetary or other reasons. To
    review some of these threads, search for threads with "ABB" (All But Backsplash)
    in the Subjects to check those out. (See
    the current "New to Kitchens" thread for more information regarding
    searching the Forum.)

First,
    like every other process here, we encourage you to do some research on your
    own, then post your particulars and ask for feedback.

One
    fundamental question you must consider before all others is what is the focus
    of your space? Cabinets? Counters?
    Backsplash? Something else? Multiple focal points are generally not recommended, so determine what you want for your focal point and select your backsplash (and other components) based on your preference. For example, bold counters and attention-grabbing backsplashes rarely work well together.

How do you determine your preferred focus? Look at pictures of Kitchens you like as well
    as those with various items as the focal point.
    Some will have simple cabinets and floors with a busy/bold counter and
    calm/simple backsplash. Others will have
    simple cabinets, floors, and counters with a busy or commanding backsplash. Which do you find yourself drawn to? The images of the Kitchens you like will help
    you determine which you prefer – is there a pattern to what you like?

Another
    consideration is whether you want a backsplash that's only a few inches tall,
    one that goes to the ceiling, or something in between. You don't have to have a backslash that
    covers every inch of wall. In some
    cases, you don't need a backsplash (e.g., an island sink or cooktop), but
    that's rarely the case. In most
    situations, at least a small backsplash is needed in key locations.

To Wait or Not To Wait

There is no right or wrong answer – many
    Houzzers have done both.

Wait…Waiting to buy your backsplash until you have had your counters
    installed allows you to see samples in your space and in your light throughout
    the day with your actual installed materials and with proper orientation/location
    (e.g., backsplash samples should be vertical between the counter and upper
    cabinets, flooring should be horizontal below the cabinets when viewing).

For
    example, if your installed cabinets are warmer than you expected or your
    counters cooler, you are free to search for a backsplash material that can pull
    things together. The only drawback to
    waiting is that you may have to wait for your backsplash material to be
    fabricated or to arrive, causing possible delays in the completion of your
    space.

Don't Wait…Choosing your backsplash in concert with your other materials,
    prior to demo, allows you to be certain they all work together both in terms of
    design and cost. This keeps you from
    running the risk of falling in love with a backsplash that doesn't look right
    with your already installed counter or fit within the budget that is leftover
    after you have made all of your other choices.
    There are also advantages in terms of lay outing things like electrical
    outlets to best work with your chosen backsplash. Finally choosing your backsplash before demo
    starts allows you to order any necessary material so project completion isn't
    delayed.

However,
    a major drawback to this is that you are making decisions on colors and
    finishes based on samples -- sample cabinet finishes, sample counter swatches, sample
    backsplash materials, etc. -- and samples don't always represent the final
    product accurately.

If
    you are in the "pick all the elements now" camp, consider creating a
    "mood board" to get at least an idea
    of how things will look together. In
    addition, bring home samples to at least check how they will look in the light
    of your Kitchen – both natural and, if possible, artificial light.

The
    majority wisdom on this site favors waiting, if that is possible. Regardless of which approach you choose, you
    should consider your backsplash as one part of the whole picture of your
    beautiful new space!

Inspiration Images

These
    really help you to focus on what your kitchen as a whole will look like. They also give the folks responding to your
    queries an idea of what you like so they won't recommend, for example, white
    subway tiles if all your inspiration images feature hand painted Mexican tile.

As
    mentioned above, search the web for images of kitchens with your other
    materials (white cabinets, walnut floors, etc.) and select which ones you like
    the best. What type of backsplash do
    they have? The idea is not to copy the
    look, but to get a feel for what you like and communicate those likes to
    others.

Budget

Finally,
    we'll need an idea of a materials budget.
    Installation can account for half of the budget for a backsplash, so
    take that into consideration in your planning and deduct accordingly. Let us know how much you want to spend in
    $/sf for your materials and/or overall cost.

It's
    not very helpful falling in love with a handmade tile in a custom glaze if it
    costs $100/square foot and your budget for tile is $10/sf, but Houzz Kitchens
    Forum members are fantastic at finding similar (and occasionally the same)
    tiles for less money. Without budget
    numbers it is very difficult for us to truly be of help to you.

(Be
    aware that labor costs will vary by the area where you live as well as how
    complex your installation will be.)

How we can help

The
    way it works is that we can recommend a surface (usually tile, sheet glass,
    metal, slab stone or laminate), advise for/against a choice (color, or
    busy-ness are the usual things discussed), provide you with layout and pattern
    feedback, and find images you might have missed of materials that have worked
    for us or caught our eye.

For
    example, you might ask:

"How
    can I find a backsplash tile to go with my green floors, counters, and purple cabinets?"

The
    answer might be that you have to paint your cabinets or change your floors to
    make it right, or maybe some Houzzer somewhere will show you an image of a
    kitchen with a painted tin backsplash that pulls it all together. It has happened!

Some
    Houzz members are great at photoshopping images together to give you an idea of
    what a small sample of your backsplash might look like in your space. It is time and effort on their part that can
    be truly helpful. Remember to say thank
    you!

Regardless
    of our advice, remember that it is just that, advice. In the end, it's your Kitchen and it's up to you what you want to put in it – take or
    leave the advice we give, but at least you are making an informed choice and
    know the pros & cons of your choice!

We hope we can be helpful and good luck with your project!

[Eam44, Crl_, Buehl, and other Houzzers]

• Briana Johnson
    7 years ago

I just have one nugget of wisdom, and that is try to know exactly where you want your outlets before it's too late. I wished mine were down farther to counter. Also if you know in your heart you are set on a subway tile, maybe you want to rotate your outlets...Just stuff to think about. I have a three gain box of switches and then like 8" over I have an outlet. I should have combined at all into one 4 gain box. Too late to go back now though, well, not really, but I don't want my people hating me before we're done, ha!

• eam44
    7 years ago

" Choosing your backsplash in concert with your other materials, prior to demo, allows you to be certain they all work together both in terms of design and cost"

But that's just the point, choosing everything together from samples means you're at risk of having your actual finishes not match.

It would be preferable to remove all timing info than to include that way-too-common fallacy. It's just completely wrong.

Having conceived of this idea and written most of the post, I am going to ask you to remove that sentence or just make sure my ID is off of it.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Briana, are you sure, you don't want to move that box now. Its easy for them to do, right? Do it! before you have to live with it, lol, forever. Sorry to get off topic, great topic idea btw.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eam44 - I'm trying to provide both points of view in a positive light, not just one. It's a difference of opinion -- but I think both are valid with both having pros & cons. I can see how both are right for some people, they work better with all items together in one place like a mood board, while others need to see the whole picture b/c they aren't very good at visualizing the bigger picture from the smaller board.

The differences may be as simple as people with an artistic bent work fine with a "mood board" and can visualize everything together from small samples while those with more of a technical bent (and usually much less artistic ability) need to see the whole picture.

I'll look at it again.

• Carolyn87
    7 years ago

That is exactly why I do better with samples on mood boards (and I have taken those boards to different houses, different types of lighting to make sure all works together in all lighting). It also can make a difference with new build vs remodel. With a remodel one might take home lots of samples to look at in the actual space but with a new build not quite as easy to do that so a mood board can be better. One thing people should be cautioned about is white glass tile. It is very prone to changing color depending on lighting and what angle its viewed at. It might look great looking at it dead on in good lighting but it can go green or blue depending on angle and lighting types, which some might like but others might not. It's the one type I would need to see in the actual space even if it means waiting.