SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliefolley

New Pool build In North Texas and we are Excited!

Julie
7 years ago

We are excited to have finally pulled the trigger on a pool we have talked about for over 5 years! We have never built a pool before so we would love to have this forum to be a place to share our build and ask and help answer questions if we can :) This pool has a very large spa, entire back is a weeping wall with a large grotto that will have an 8ft opening at the front. I would love opinions on how tall within reason our grotto should be. We are adding a light in the bench of the grotto to light up the waterfall. We are still in limbo whether we should want regular lights or LED. They are telling us that one light in the pool is enough. Your thoughts?

WE are just in the permitting stage, but it sounds like it won't take but a couple of weeks, weather permitting before they are able to begin. So I will post pictures as we go!

Comments (46)

• 5birdy
    7 years ago

Very exciting and congratulations! LED lights are amazing. There's another thread here about how many to put in. I'm very surprised they are only suggesting 1; it's easy to put them in first but impossible afterwards. They shine a great distance but not around any corners or blockages so dark spots can happen. Doesn't your spa need some? My pool builder was concerned over where you would sit so he placed the LED lights on the wall where you sit and directed the light away (if that makes sense). Great plan to light up from shelf to grotto wall.

Another person on this forum had horrific problems with baja shelf bubblers so read that thread before installing.

You could have one person walk around with a stick/longpole with various marked 12 - 18 - 24" measurements to see how the different heights will affect the view while sitting down. Even though this forum is not particularly "active" there are still tons of valuable posts you can search through for helpful advice.

Julie thanked 5birdy
  • Related Discussions

New Pool Build East Texas

Q

Comments (1)
    http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z431/ttruman13/ link to picture we are using for model I have a pdf on my computer of the plans. Does anyone know why when I try to add on photobucket it only has media as an option for file type? thanks tim
    ...See More

New Pool Build North Texas-Formal Pool Design

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you, we have belabored every single detail as, I am sure, everyone does. No, we still have the deck to be laid, sprinkler re-route, cleanup and then plaster last. I am right outside of Dallas, so we are still having spring showers and it might be a bit. Plus, the travertine we ordered for the deck is honed and the decking place only carries tumbled, so I am not sure how we figure that out.
    ...See More

Aceman's NJ Pool Build - Beware of Blue Haven Pools North East

Q

Comments (15)
    Congrats on the new pool, it looks FANTASTIC!!! quote" I also think it was huge that we went into this very well educated on what we wanted, most of which we learned from this forum. "quote I'm certain this was a tremendous assistance during your process. I find it sad when I see thread titles like yours, it was very refreshing to read about your great turn. WAY TO GO for both you and top50!!! Note to all readers, Having a good construction experience isn't about just signing with any pool construction company. You can have a bad experience with any company large or small or have a good one just as equally. Legwork and checking the credibility (referrals, BBB, C of C, vendors, service providers etc..) of your potential builder will go a long long way in giving you a better shot at a good company. The best men in the industry are positioned right where top50 was (middle of the pack pricing and great credibility) during this quotation. You don't always end up with the best pool when you drop the most coin, you just dropped more money. But, when a potential builder is way less than the other competitors you can rest assured that you won't. See ya, Kelly
    ...See More

Pool Build in North Fort Worth

Q

Comments (99)
    poolguynj and other PB's thanks again for the quick follow ups and feedback on my questions and concerns. currently the PB still has his maintenance guy coming over daily to check the chemicals, brushing etc. and adding chemicals as needed. PB said that he would do that for about a month before turning it over completely to us for maintenance. natural one, thanks for your comments on the pool build. the PB was actually there for all of the stages and on site a quite often so we felt that he was on top of everything from beginning to end. as fari as the drains, personally it doesn't bother me and kinda like the contrast but that just me. what actually bothered me more was the color of the pool cleaner, it's white with a white hose and when i asked about it our PB said that to get the black one, it would be about 300 bucks more. uh, i decided the white one didn't look bad after all! also, we had a landscaper come out last week and give us a bid for some landscaping behind the pool. it was over 6800 for landscaping that i was not even going to be able to see since the back beam is raised.....i nearly swallowed my gum when he told us the price. so we are thinking now that we will reduce the size of the bed directly behind the pool, but add perhaps some windmill palms on each end to give it some character and instead, add some beds on each end of the pool so at least we can visually enjoy some of our expenses! the sun came out today so hopefully i can post some pictures this afternoon. Thanks again everyone!!!!
    ...See More
  • Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

we are trying to figure out what kind of lights can actually go on the baja shelf as our builder says there are really not many options with the shelf being so shallow. I plan on doing the shelf at 9 inches. He says light will streak. I am trying to research as I feel there must be something we can do that is cost effective. I asked him about Led bubblers, they were crazy high priced.

• Michael Collins
    7 years ago

Interesting. My shelf is 15" (18" to coping) and I really wish I had light up there. Everything it lit so beautifully, but the shelf is completely dark and feels left out at night. :( I would force some innovation here.

• 5birdy
    7 years ago

Our 3 lights are 11-12" above a 16" deep in water bench (not including waterline tile and coping in these measurements, only the water). The 2 that are only on the bench work great and if all 3 worked the entire 45' length would be properly illuminated. We "changed" the industry standard and used a 6" very shallow baja shelf (which we love by the way). Our PB had not built one that shallow before. The one light on the shelf sits basically at the very bottom and only displays a weird short "halo". So most of the shelf is dark and the regular pool depth area beyond the shelf is totally dark. It would have been so easy to build an extra light on that shelf edge side to get that dark corner but like Michael said, were told impossible to add after the fact. I do not know what your 9" would do, since our 6" essentially failed and the 16" succeeded. Is it possible to install a light on another side? The LEDs are very small and unnoticeable, not like the old big glaring round porthole looking lights.

• S R
    7 years ago

One light will not be enough... If your builder is using Pentair, you can use the globrite or led bubbler... The led bubblers are about $400 ea..

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well we are pretty excited. Sorry it took so long to update, so here is a big one! we broke ground 2 weeks ago. The dig was amazing. The steel guys were amazing. They all really know their trade. We think our foreman with Outdoor living rocks! We then had a little rain, so they came and put tarp on the pool....then we had to wait for a field survey to be completed as our town requires it. Once that was done the inspection was the very next day. Once we had our inspection the gunite crew were ready and waiting the following morning. So it ended up the pool was dug a bit too deep. There was also a little misunderstanding about where the depths should have been. At the end of the day kudos to our pool builder who never argued with us and did what they had to do to make it what we thought it should be. It required ALOT of extra gunite and so I know that they put our best interests first in making that decision to not make it a problem. So far my grade card for our builder continues to be an A+...praying it continues this way! Here are lots of pictures. A couple of the things we did change during gunite. We made our first step 24 inches wide, then our 2nd two steps 18 inches wide. We actually had the 3rd step at 12 inches but it was definitely not a good choice and they widened it no questioned asked. We LOVE them! Our steps are 11 feet long with a little wave in them and they are amazing!

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry about some of the pictures being doubled, I am not sure why that happened or why they are not in order, but they are here! :)

Gunite is done.....a week of watering and next week we move on to tile and coping!

• michellerobbietim
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What color plaster are y'all going with? Looks great so far! We are building one as well. Having troubling picking a plaster color.

Julie thanked michellerobbietim
  • Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We are going with Mini Pebble blue tropics. We picked it because we wanted a medium blue and this one was offered with the shiny shells in it without being an upgrade. We wanted to make sure we had no green hues. Sounds like next week will be coping, tile and electric and stonework. Today we picked some of the beautiful rocks they will use for the rear grotto and wearing wall.

• Michael Collins
    7 years ago

Julie, I'm so happy that your contractor is involved and working with you in such a positive way. You're very fortunate. We also used a local knock off for plaster and wanted the same medium blue. Be sure to have your builder show you samples - as many as possible. The last thing I wanted to see was any green hue and made that very clear. We ended up with a green hue. :^(

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Michael, was yours tropics blue? We actually chose that BECAUSE it doesn't have any green hues to it, I sure hope that is true. So far, they have been wonderful. Yes, we had samples to look at which is how we discovered that the tropics blue had the abalone shell in it that was standard and not an upgrade. At this time it is apparently the only color that it is not an upgrade, another reason we chose it. Our product comes from NPTPools.com. It is the Stone Scapes Mini Pebble. Can I see a picture of your pool? We just got another email...tomorrow they start tile and coping, end of the week the waterfalls and weeping wall. Our equipment is being delivered tomorrow, set on Wednesday and electrician on Thursday. I am almost overwhelmed! As much as I LOVE the progress It sounds like this next part is going to move fast. :)

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Waterline Tile is done and equipment was all placed today....Tomorrow electric and the start of the coping.. and stone around the spa. We have chosen oklahoma flagstone coping and Austin Cream around the spa.....

• Michael Collins
    7 years ago

Looking good Julie. I've included some pics on different days below of what is a "Catalina Blue" from a "Pebble Plus" product sold by the installer here in the Sacramento area (please excuse the unfinished deck & landscape as we wait for warm/dry weather and longer days to install travertine tile). Colors look very different depending on weather, surroundings, depth, and other factors. We wanted "Aqua Blue" in Pebble Sheen, but were encouraged to go with Pebble Plus with the sparkly shells. After we asked, and asked, and asked, our PB waited until the very last couple days before showing us two pools. We tried contacting the installer to look at more pools and they didn't bother to return calls. You can see that the color is blue, but certainly not the deep, rich blue we'd hoped for. I've also included a night image which shows the shelf off to the right completely darkened with no lights up there. A frustrating experience for us as far as some cosmetics, but the pool is rock solid and functions well.

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

what a beautiful pool :) I simply love your design and I don't think your water color looks bad, but of course you were after a certain look so I understand. I think we may have found our first couple of issues with our pool....we had moved our pool depth from 3.6 to 4ft and the designer didn't say a word about adding a step. Everything I read says 4 steps....we have 3 and they are tough to climb without water, but told it will get better. Fortunately our Foreman did catch the last step which was 18 inches which was huge. He had the gunite guys take up our floor 2 feet off the steps so that the step was 12 inches BUT they didn't go all the way across our steps that are 11 ft long, they just did the center of them so that the steps on the right side are so high that no one will want to walk up them. I am wondering how they will be able to bring that up now to correct the issue. Then I notice the light is not pointing exactly where I asked it. I noticed it before gunite but he never moved it and now it is there. It is fine IF they are able to adjust where it will be pointing. No clue, will find out today. They have been great to work with so far, but I think they are frazzled because they ended up pouring 17 EXTRA yards of gunite as they dug too deep but even thought they know this I think they think I changed the depth a little...um no. We literally picked our depths out in they yard :) Now, we are all human and we all make mistakes. So far our builder has taken the high road on the extra cost, although we were told about it and almost implied some of it was a shared overage but we will not pay for what we don't feel is our issue. They have not asked us to....yet, and hoping it does not come to that. We have been super satisfied with out builder so far.

• Michael Collins
    7 years ago

Thanks Julie. I'm not sure if it's possible to add more mud to fix, but certainly much easier before plaster. If you think it will eat at you, it might be worth the cost to get it just right for peace of mind. Unfortunately, it's just another example of why we have to stay very involved throughout the whole process. I don't want to be the one looking over shoulders, but there are many assumptions made in this line of work - some known and many unknown. If you're not there to catch it, it's often too late. Even when you are there to catch it, it can be too late. I hope your PB continues to take the high road and you get what you want.

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well a lot of progress today...first I will say, my last step is 14 inches and we have decided it is fine. After talking with our builder, it actually will be fine where it is located in the 4ft area. He was more than willing to adjust it. Then the light he explained was placed where it was for 2 reasons, it will widen out and cover, and also light up our steps more and our water coming off our spa....he said there should be no issues. Today electricians were here we have lights! We have big Trenches! We have coping and the veneer on our spa going on. It's an incredible sight to see these guys work. Here are some photos of today. The veneer we used was Austin Cream and it will be offset with a little darker flagstone like our coping on top, we also have a roll top glass tiles going in. Then the spillway we decided will be dark...2 inch thick pieces that will cascade down the spillway in a darker oklahoma flagstone so that it ties the colors in from the boulders and grotto in the back.

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pretty excited! The trenches are still open so tomorrow we will be dropping in conduit and on Saturday morning our electrician is coming bright and early to run wires before the trenches are closed up for the decking to be painted out. I am in awe of how fast everything is moving. Knocking on wood.....so far this experience has been painless!

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well our back wall is about 1/2 height now and the grotto is just beginning. Our electricians came today and they are running 120v wiring through the back yard to have 7 trees that line our backyard and then 3 future palm trees along with a mosquito control machine once the pool is complete. We also were blessed today as we were getting ready to go out and spend a small fortune on palm trees when someone in our neighboring area learned we needed them and they offered us 3 beautiful windmill palms if we can get them transplanted...they are 8 to 10 feet tall already....its been a good day :)

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lots going on here in the the mid cities of Dallas/Fort Worth....roll neck tile has gone on, they continue to build the beautiful waterfall wall and the huge grotto. We are hoping that the giant flat rock of the grotto will be here today, but will depend on if they get the area cleaned up and graded around the pool today, which is on the schedule :) Still waiting for the gas line, electric is done but coming back to day to put in the electric box for the near future gazebo. Still need to finish some of the stone around the spa along with its coping. We are loving everything so far....keep it coming! 3/4 of the way through and we are still impressed and happy with our builder.....praying that it continues to go so smoothly!

• Desmond Brambles
    7 years ago

Wow this is really cool to watch, loving the progress pictures. I'd be excited too if I were you.

Julie thanked Desmond Brambles
  • Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Today was a VERY Productive day! The big rock came! They finished ALL the rock work. Our spa is done. LOVING everything about this pool! Here are some pool pictures!

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

NOT sure why my pictures are going in with such a stranger order, but enjoy them anyway! Monday they are putting in the deck forms...gas inspection, deck inspection....and we are closing in to the end....so happy!

• 5birdy
    7 years ago

Love your rock work! For some reason out here in SoCal, they seem to use faux rock. And it was crazy expensive. We really wanted a grotto similar to what you are building. Can't wait to see how it looks lit up at night :)

Julie thanked 5birdy
  • Desmond Brambles
    7 years ago

Thanks for the update!

Julie thanked Desmond Brambles
  • Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Decking has begun. So far they have done the steal and the deck drains. Just passed our deck inspection with the city and now they will pour the concrete next Monday....project is almost complete. Awesome...

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well we are coming to the end, we should have water in our pool this weekend and our Pebble done hopefully on Friday. I haven't posted lately as we have been very busy. Now that our yard is graded back to normal, sod has been laid, the gazebo from costco has been put together and is amazing, decking is done, sprinklers have been redone and they have cleaned up pretty well. We have a few minor things to still accomplish and landscaping. If you are in the Dallas Fort Worth area, I would 100% without a doubt recommend Outdoor Living Pool and Patio out of Denton on Teasley Road. From start to finish...great experience, great product! If you have any questions just ask! I will certainly get more pictures once we have some water, but here are some up until the last and final piece of the puzzle is complete.

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yesterday we got our beautiful stonescapes mini Pebble done and our pool is filling as I type. 2 days of hard labor and my husband and I got our landscaping just about done. Tomorrow morning we will wake up and the pool should be filled by mid afternoon.....so excited!

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We have finished our project and are ecstatic! Here it is!

• 5birdy
    7 years ago

It is all very beautiful, enticing, relaxing, and love your dog! Did you put up the Costco gazebo yourself? I always wondered how these things are installed on concrete or pavers.

Julie thanked 5birdy
  • Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yes, we put it up ourselves. It is not difficult but REALLY time consuming since there are so many little parts, however the patients is worth it as our builder wanted thousands to build one of these and this was 1300.00.....it is FABULOUS!

• Julie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We just put curtains up and got all the lighting installed, so now that part of our project is also complete. Bring on summer!

• 5birdy
    7 years ago

Julie, you are obviously very handy. What did you use to hang the curtains up, and how to install? (Is that a privacy type screen in back?) And how on earth did you install lighting on the front? I saw this gazebo at our local Costco and it was gorgeous but you have taken it above and beyond.

Julie thanked 5birdy
  • trhought
    7 years ago

Julie. Congrats! I'm partial to the natural lagoon style pools Your backyard turned out great! Just in time for the summer heat that's hopefully coming soon once all this rain leaves us this spring. Enjoy!

Julie thanked trhought
  • Julie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

5birdy, we went to home depot and got metal pipes to hang them. We had them cut to size there. We hired an electrician. We had our pool builder do the conduit over to the area and then the electrician wired it up along the inside of the sides with metal conduit that you can barely see. Fortunately the area where the front lights are had an area that was not totally solid, so he was able to run the wiring into the top of those cedar columns in front. Then he added an outlet for party lights on one of the top corners. He also ran the conduit very nicely for the chandelier. We added 3 switches...one for each of these lightings so they can be on separately if we wanted. We also added regular outlets on 2 of the back columns. I will take pictures and post this afternoon for you.

• Julie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

trhought, thank you! we LOVE our new backyard. We feel like we have moved and now never want to again! :)

• 5birdy
    6 years ago

Julie, forgot to tell you that after rereading your post and seeing your gazebo, I went online and found a suitable Costco gazebo for our hot tub. We've been busy assembling but I wanted to thank you for the inspiration. Now our hot tub cover is protected and it was much much less expensive than a custom model (although we do certainly understand now how much $$$ labor is involved!)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio