SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctsnicholas

Island or U-Shaped Kitchen

ctsnicholas
7 years ago

I am working on a kitchen design 2.0 I already have the current one without the island. I originally was going to throw in an island like I have drawn with 3 seats, maybe 5 depending on the straight runs of the bar top. I like the neo angle on the island/bar to make the space feel more roomy and have a better walk way. I also was thinking the island makes more since because of going to and from the dining table area, where as if it's a U shape that walkway gets cut off. The U-Shape would also potentially crowd the dining area unless I were to remove the 18" wide set of drawers to the left of the sink, and move everything down 18".

Between the two options what do you kitchen experts think makes the most sense? Either one provides more storage, more countertop space, and bar top seating. My third option was to just go with a smaller rectangle island that only seats 2 or 3 people but faces the kitchen instead of being able to look towards the living area.

This design will be used for a future build and not a remodel, so moving the drawers for example is not a big deal (however I really like having dishes and silverware in the same portion where as the silverware would then have to be over on the other side where there are no stored dishes.
I included the outside area to get an idea of house layout and pathways that I don't want to disrupt.

Comments (21)