SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_466985

Silestone countertop worries after templating, help?

J
7 years ago

After tons of research, I decided I wanted Silestone countertops for their lack of maintenance, mostly. The color is Stellar Snow - which is a white flecked with varying shades of gray. I went with Home Depot for the project, who subbed in a local stone company for the job. I need the counters raised an inch or so, and decided to have the new counters installed right over the old ones, with the existing edges being trimmed and the fronts removed. (I have my own contractor who will install trim to cover the exposed areas after the new ones are installed).

The contractor who came out approached me as a typical housewife who ordered new counters without knowing anything about them, and continued to talk over my head when I ask questions. Fine, I'm used to it, whatever. I did, however, completely miss out on doing any research on seam placement with quartz. I just assumed that they could do the small seams on the front and back of the sink. When he said there would be two large seams, both terribly visible and placed right over drawers I open regularly, I protested. But he said that with an undermount sink, they no longer do the seams in the middle of the sink because they tend to get broken during transport and install, and can't handle the weight of the sink anyway. (Right.) So they're "not allowed" to do sink seams. I asked if there were any other options for the seams, and he wouldn't give me an absolute "no" or "yes", just kept repeating "you'll barely even see them." Let me repeat, the counters are white. He also kept hammering home the idea that a stretch of counter cannot be any longer than 96". When I pointed out there's no seam in the counter to the right of the stove, he added that that one doesn't matter because there's no cutout.

I gave up and let him finish measuring so I could start googling and asking questions. I called the KD at HD, and she asked me to come in and look at seam examples to "ease my fears" and "once you see my samples of seams you'll see that it will be fine". The job's currently on hold until I figure out what I want to do.

So, I generally got the impression that he was pushing and pushing to get me to leave him alone and agree to what he wanted, which was what made me start investigating further, and seeing all the seam nightmares here. I felt this is a rushed job with little care as to how the final product will look, and they're only interested in getting in and out.

So, any advice on the best way to proceed, or other advice on installation I may be overlooking?

I've included (rather poor, sorry) pics of the kitchen, as well as a quick sketch I made when calculating the square feet (don't laugh). Also I can't figure out how

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH