Visiting relatives
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (43)
Related Discussions
My visit to Darlingtonia State Botanical Waysideâ
Comments (3)Amazing! wish I could find a place to buy some cobras. Only places I've seen online are close to 100$ for a clump of them ):...See Moreyour thoughts on caregiving options for dad
Comments (13)One of the better choices is a CCRC where the facility is licensed for both asst. living AND nursing/critical care. That way you don't to move the elderly to two different facilities. The older they are, the more stressful it is to move them around. We are currently in the process of getting my MIL admitted to an Asst. Living/Nursing care facility. In her case, and I would expect this is true of most of these places that have both types of units, it is the FACILITY who decides whether an applicant can go into Asst. Living or needs Nursing care, not the family. The paperwork included financial disclosures of assets, her doctor's assessment of mental & physical condition/history, and a current TB test, in addition to the facility's own medical assessment after a 1-hr interview. Most families vastly over-estimate the ability of frail seniors to live on their own. The average stay in AL is only two years, on average. Considering that during our many visits to the specific care facility we want to use for MIL, where we have met a number of AL residents who have been there 5+ years, that means there are a whole lot of elderly being admitted into AL units in this country who aren't even making that 1-yr anniversary before needing critical or nursing care transfers. Generally at the AL level, there are charges for additional care needs. At the facility we are using, there are 3 levels of additional care, which the facility determines based on how much help a resident needs on a daily basis. So the basic rental cost for a studio with 1/2 bath - all showers and baths are scheduled and done with full escort service (but in AL assumes no need to help with hygiene, just in/out) is $3875/mo. This covers the unit the resident lives in, the daily housekeeping and all maintenance, basic TV service, 3 meals a day (in some places it's 2 meals per day), and all scheduled activities and outings. Now come the extras. The following is NOT a complete or absolute list, it's only to indicate how one local facility determines care levels and thus the monthly costs per resident: Level 1 care is minimal - help with medications only - adds $900/mo. Level 2 care is probably where MIL lands: help with medication, occasional regular escort to/from classes, adds $1340/mo. Level 3 care classifies complex medications (needed more than 2x daily), mandatory check-ins by staff at scheduled times, full-time escort whenever out of their unit, adds $1785/mo. If you are in AL and paying for Level 3 care, you are paying exactly what it costs to be in the memory care or nursing care units. Some residents do this because they don't want to move into a new unit on another floor. The critical care units are always temporary stays, where the resident keeps their usual unit, as critical care is considered convalescence (not serious enough for hospital care, but too serious to be in a standard residential unit). It's used for residents who are recovering from illnesses or surgery or accidents, who need more care than just a pair of crutches and an occasional look-in. YMMV on the facilities near you, but hope this helps clear up what it can mean to move into a full-care senior facility. These, btw, are non-profit organization prices. We found that there was little difference between the prices on AL in profit vs non-profit facilities - in fact, the for-profit places were generally lower. But the moment a resident needs critical, memory, or nursing care, for-profit facilities were much higher cost than the non-profit facilities. We looked at seven different facilities near us - there are more, but my MIL has dementia so we restricted our search to facilities with memory care units. HTH others....See MoreSteam cleaners and hardwood a myth????
Comments (26)I have used a shark mop in an older apartment with not so nice hardwood floors. I also tend to add a capful of pinesol into the shark cleaner. The floor weren't disastrous, but I wouldn't call them great shape either. Additionally I have used various products that most people would be shocked. And I have used a large amount of water on them. When things were starting to look dull I would use a quick shine on them. Despite the fact that I was doing it "all wrong" my landlord was always happy with the way my floors looked. All this being said, I also have 5 cats and I would rather have to redo my floors more often if the trade off is knowing I have a clean floor. (I am getting ready to redo the floors on a house that I am buying) and will at the very least use a steam mop on my floors then too. DISCLAIMER: just because I said this is the way I do it does not mean it won't have an effect. Let me add that I cleaned my brothers house with a steam mop as well that he had redone with no I'll effects....See MoreEx has really lost it now
Comments (5)Well I told ex that dd is not going to his home anymore because I feel it is unsafe. We argued, he cried, and we ended the conversation. I then called his family to let them know he was upset and see if they could check on him. DD demanded to know why she could no longer go to see her dad (he told her on the phone that I would not allow her to go to his home). I told her that his home was no longer a safe place for kids to be and that she could see him at his families homes. She cried and said I am being mean. She then told me how his home is the only place she EVER has any fun or can relax. She said she has no chores over there and gets to pick whatever she wants to eat all the time (McDonalds vs. Burger King). Here I just make dinner and she has to eat! I am so hurt. I have asked her to help plan meals and help cook. We do lots of things that are fun together and she enjoys them. Now she is blaming all of this on me. So I told her that this is not my fault. That her father is making poor choices and I feel like his medicine does not have his behavior under control. I told her about him saying the cops were coming and about him saying people were going to kill him. I told her because of those things I did not feel she would be safe there. She still blames me. She then told me that if we had to wait for her dad to make better choices then she would never see him! I HATE my ex right now for making this situation. I HATE that I have spent the last 12 years doing everything for our daughter and living my life around making hers a happy wonderful life and now I am the one being blamed for his problems by her. I HATE that while he has been out drinking and partying and blowing her off at times that I have been the one at home with her and now I am getting no recognition for that. I am just the bad guy. I just can not win in this situation. I am so sad....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEThe Polite House: On Dogs at House Parties and Working With Relatives
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives advice on having dogs at parties and handling a family member’s offer to help with projects
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDon’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full Story
GARAGESAutomotive-Related Architecture: Modern Garage Doors
Sleek Glass and Wood Garage Doors Have Appeal Both Outdoors and In
Full Story
ENTERTAININGModern Manners: Smooth Moves for Kids' Visits
For hosting kids or visiting with Junior in tow, we give you a plan to keep stress levels low and fun levels high
Full Story
LIFEModern Manners for Conflict-Free Family Visits
Avoid thermostat wars, pet peeves and the great shower squeeze with these tips for having family as houseguests
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESLook for Metallic Green Sweat Bees Visiting Your Garden This Fall
These beautiful sweat bees will dazzle and delight you with their bright emerald green color and midsummer and fall flower visiting
Full Story
BEDROOMSRoom of the Day: Childhood Bedroom Is Redone for Visiting Son
A couple’s adult son and his new wife now can stay in luxe personalized quarters when they’re in town
Full Story
STUDIOS AND WORKSHOPSVisit London’s Shed of the Year
A modern Renaissance man carves out a multifunctional green oasis amid London’s urban whirl
Full Story
SPRING GARDENINGSpring Fling: Visit a Garden in Full Glory
The Atlanta Botanical Garden is blooming three weeks ahead of schedule. Come take a peek with us
Full Story
HOLIDAYSSet the Scene for a Stress-Free Holiday Visit
Put your guests at ease and take the pressure off hosting by prepping your space with psychology in mind
Full Story
sweet_betsy No AL Z7