SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
little_washer

5 Star Range Review

Mike Wash
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Just completed a kitchen and bath renovation in September and came to this site frequently to help us decide what range we should purchase based on user reviews and discussions. I spent nearly 6 weeks researching various prosumer/commercial styled range manufacturers including Bertazzoni, DCS, Thermadore, etc. We were looking for something without electronics, no brain, no touch pad, just gas and knobs in a 36 inch range configuration. Didnt realize that for 36 inch ranges in this style, we'd be shelling out some real cash for what we wanted, but we wanted something that would last for years without some type of electronic failure that could render a $5-6K appliance useless.

The lengthy and spirited discussion on the boards was an eye opener to say the least. We were leaning towards a Berta originally because they looked really great at the Fergason showroom, but after one particular thread we decided based on some of the anecdotal information about performance and customer service, we ran away as quickly as possible from the Berta. I went to every retailer in the immediate Central Texas area to touch and feel the quality of the ranges and was impressed with Thermadore and DCS, but again, the customer service seemed to be hit or miss with satisfaction. I then tried to find information on 5 Star Ranges, but could find only a handful of reviews on the manufacturer, and zero here on the Houzz site. I continued my search, and only one distributer in our area could even order the range we were interested in, and they were an hour outside of town. I drove the the distributer, should have called first since they dont have a showroom at all, and I couldn't actually get my hands on one to get a feel for quality because they didnt have any on site.

So after some discussion, we decided to take a gamble and order the 5 Star 36-inch range in stainless steel with white oven sight unseen. We were very hesitant to do so for such a big ticket item, but we were persuaded by the fact they are made in America, in Tennessee, and I spoke directly to customer service prior to our purchase to get a feel of them and how helpful they could be in the future if we ran into any issues. The lady on the other end had a thick souther accent, so I knew it was a gamble we could take. Not because of the accent, but because they answered the phone and actually work at the manufacturing facility.

It was a special order since the ss/white combo wasnt usually kept in stock, so they had to build our range specifically for us. It was delivered on time, and fit into the cut out like a glove.

After 3 months of heavy use including Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners - we cook every night on the range as well, we have been extremely pleased our has gamble paid off. It is solid, no frills - not even a temperature gauge or timer. We bought a commercial oven thermometer and timer from the local restaurant supply store. Nothing to go on the fritz. We did have to upgrade our gas line to be able to feed the beast, and boy does it pump out some flame. The cast iron continuous grates are heavy and solid, and the sealed burners give an even flame. The high gas setting boils water quickly and the simmer does well, but since the burners are all the same 21,000 BTU rating, we do have to cut off the heat from time to time even though they say it can do 350 BTU on low. I spoke again to customer service and they walked me through how to adjust the gas settings internally. I havent done that quite yet, but am planning on doing so.

So, apologies for the lengthy review, but really hope it can help someone out who might be in the same predicament as we were a few months ago, and hope this little bit of practical information is helpful in deciding which range to purchase, since obviously, such an expensive purchase needs to last a long time, and do the work it requires.

We are very happy with our purchase.

Comments (127)