SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waldo5310

30" Gas Range Decision - Blue Star/Five Star/Etc

Waldo5310
9 years ago

I know there are lots of threads out there but I'm narrowing down my choices for a 30" Gas Range. I do cook a lot and do a lot of canning. I want very temps to very high temps. I do not want the digital stuff the mid-range ones have, that is what went bad on my current Maytag range. I don't care if people have heard of the brand or not. I want USA made. I have a 5 year old, I want a well insulted oven door. Here is my short list. If anybody can help that would be great...I have tried to research the best I could. These are all 30 inch.

1. Five Star - I like it can go from 350 BTU to 21000 BTU on the burners. Oven not huge at 3.69 Cu. FT. Not sure I read much bad. Some people said it shows some screws and seams...ok by me. SOme people said there is no drip pan, if anybody could touch on that...great. $3,600 shipped.

2. Blue Star - Up to 22,000 BTU on the burners. SImmer at 130 degrees. 4.56 Cu. Ft Over. I haven't seen much bad other then service from a few years ago and a door issue they seemed to have fixed according to the appliance guy on youtube. $4,500.

3. Viking. Lower BTU. Had 2 front 18,000 BTU burners and 2 lower back and a lower center. 5 burners. Very Pretty. 4.0 Cu. Ft oven that has self clean. Some people didn't like the max BTU and the fact the back ones were lower. $3,900 I was quoted.

4. Wolf. Only 15,000 BTU, one burner down to 350. ALso very pretty but seems to be lacking burner power. Large oven. 4.4 Cu. Ft. Most people that didn't like said it was overpriced for the BTUs. $4,100 I was quoted.

5. American Range Performer. Listed up to 25,000 BTU but people seemed to think the grates were too high and you could not reach that heat. Also some said it got way to hot on the sides because the oven was insulated enough. Large oven at 4.4 Cu. FT. $3,800.

6. Capital Culinarian. 23,000 BTU to a 138 degree simmer. 4.9 Cu. FT huge oven. Read mainly good things, although I think I read the door gets very hot. This would be a concern if true. I also have read the Capital has trouble simmering...doesn't go as low as they say. $4,100 is the cheapest I found.

7. Last is Thermador. 18,000 BTU down to 100 degree simmer. 4.4 Cu. Ft oven. Have not read much good about them. It comes with a free dishwasher though. $4,100 was my quote. If I found better reviews, I may have gone this way although I like the idea of higher BTU burners for canning.

Wolf and Viking are pretty but seem to lack the power I want. The Five Star oven seems small but seems like a good price. Any help or issues I didn't list, please post. Looking forward to your comments. Thank - Patrick

This post was edited by Waldo5310 on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 1:57

Comments (15)